The world’s best airports are unveiled at the Skytrax Awards 2019
Asia and Europe dominate the competition at this year's awards.
Airports are usually where you sit and wait patiently before getting to where you actually want to be. However savvy travellers know that some airports are better than others. And some are even worth the trip.
Singapore's Changi Airport has long been known as one of the best layover airports and now for the seventh year running, it's scored the title of World's Best Airport.
Voted by travellers worldwide, this is the 10th time in the 20-year history of Skytrax's World Airport Awards that Singapore Changi has come out on top. The airport also reclaimed its award for the Best Airport Leisure Amenities at the event.
To be honest, no one should be surprised as Singapore Airport is a cut above the rest. It recently unveiled its new addition; a 40m high indoor waterfall, canopy park with mazes and suspended bridge all within a four-story forest valley.
This is, of course, is on top of the butterfly garden, movie theatre and complimentary guided tours around the city that we already love to take advantage of.
The airport has also seen significant enhancements over the past 12 months. This includes:
- The opening of the newly renovated Terminal 4 and its fully automated departure process, which uses facial recognition at check-in, immigration and boarding.
- A refreshed Terminal 3, including a community event space, indoor garden and weekend family activities.
- A takeover by Warner Bros to bring JK Rowling's world of Harry Potter to Changi.
- Green initiatives like the new sunlight sensors on the airport roof for optimum natural light.
Australia still doesn't have any airports listed in the top 10 thanks to the tough competition, but Brisbane Airport wasn't too far off at 18, up four places from last year.
Asia dominated the competition this year with airports in the top 10, and Europe didn't do so bad either with two winners in Munich and Zurich.
The top airports all stand out for their unique offerings. This includes a library to cozy up in, traditional Japanese bathhouse and on-sight museums.
Top 10 rankings for the World's Best Airport Award 2019
- Singapore Changi Airport
- Tokyo International Airport (Haneda)
- Incheon International Airport
- Hamad International Airport (Doha)
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Central Japan International Airport
- Munich Airport
- London Heathrow Airport
- Narita International Airport
- Zurich Airport
- The three-step plan to reopen Australia: What you can and can’t do
- Airlines, cruises and tours waive change and cancellation fees due to coronavirus [Updated]
- Australians advised not to travel: What to know [Updated]
- Travelling during coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know [Updated]
- What to know if your travels are affected by the domestic travel ban