5 holidays that cost as much as your tax return
Expecting a nice wad of cash back from tax? Here's how you can use it to treat yourself to a holiday.
The end of financial year has come and gone, and if there's one thing on our "to do" list, it's our taxes.
Sounds like a pain but just think of the money you'll get back after you lodge it. In previous years, (2015-2016) Australians pocketed $2,574 on average from their refunds. This year, you could be that much richer, too.
With so much extra cash on hand, why not take some time off from the 9-5 and splash out on a well-deserved break? According to the latest research by Skyscanner, 30% of Aussies have been working so hard that they're experiencing burnout and 1 in 5 Aussies haven't tapped into their annual leave in the past year. If this sounds familiar, then a holiday is already overdue.
But if you really need another excuse, Skyscanner has also coined this week (22-28 July) Book a Holiday Week.
To help you on your way, we've carved out five of the best holiday packages that you can book on your tax return dollars. So you can cash in your annual leave without cashing out your bank account.
1. $2,090: 7 nights plus flights to New Caledonia
Yes, you really can snap up a week away in paradise for the cost of your tax return. Imagine swanning around the resort pool, indulging in a buffet breakfast every morning and having direct access to the beach from your resort. Go on, you know you want to.
- Price: Holiday packages start from $2,090 per person from Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, and from $2,490 per person from Adelaide.
- What do you get: This package includes return flights, including 23kg of checked luggage, 4 nights in Noumea and 3 nights in Ile De Pins, buffet breakfast daily, room upgrade and a bottle of selection wine.
- Where can I book? You can book through My New Caledonia.
2. $2,159: 5-night South Australia Fly, Stay and Cruise deal
If relaxing on the ocean is more your style, Royal Caribbean has a relaxing cruise that takes care of it all – including your flight to the port in Perth. From there, you'll sail south to Esperance and across to Adelaide – with not a care in the world, naturally.
- Price: This fly, stay and cruise deal starts from $2,159 per person for an inside room, but you can upgrade this to an outside cabin for $2,573 per person.
- What do you get: This deal includes a one-way flight from Adelaide to Perth, three nights pre-cruise accommodation in Perth, a Rottnest Island tour, cruise transfers and all standard on-board extras including meals and entertainment.
- Where can I book? Set sail with Flight Centre.
3. $1,499: 3 nights plus flights to London
No, you're not seeing things. You really can nab a blitz trip to the UK for under $2,000, which includes flights and accommodation. The catch? You'll be travelling during low season from 1 February until 30 March 2019.
- Price: Holiday packages from Perth start from $1,499, from Melbourne from $1,625, from Sydney from $1,789 and from Brisbane from $1,639.
- What do you get: Get return flights and three nights at the 3-star ibis London Shepherd's Bush.
- Where can I book? Head to Flight Centre - International.
4. $1,390: 6 nights plus flights to Vanuatu
Rewind and relax under the palm trees of the Vanuatu coast and watch all your work worries just float away. With packages starting at $1,390 per person, you'll even have enough left over for a shopping spree on the island – or two.
- Price: Holiday packages from Brisbane and Sydney start at $1,390, from Melbourne at $1,490, from Adelaide at $1,790 and from Perth at $2,090.
- What do you get: This deal comes with return flights with 30kg of luggage, 6 nights' accommodation at the Ramada Resort Port Vila, daily buffet breakfast, lagoon cruise for two, waterfall tour, bottle of wine and massage session for two.
- Where can I book? Make your holiday break with My Queensland.
5. $1,040: 5 nights plus flights to the Gold Coast
Stay local and spend on quality with this 5-night stay in a 5-star hotel in the famous Gold Coast suburb of Broadbeach.
- Price: Holiday packages departing Sydney start from $1,040, departing Melbourne start from $1,140, departing Adelaide from $1,190 and departing Perth from $1,430.
- What do you get: Enjoy return flights including 20kg of luggage, daily buffet breakfast, airport transfers, $250 wine and dine credit, welcome drink, free Wi-Fi and late check-out.
- Where can I book? Book your overdue beach break through My Queensland.
Not quite right? Search for your perfect flight with Skyscanner:
- 5 cheapest places to visit when Australia’s international borders reopen
- Qantas sets date for international flights to US, UK, Fiji and more
- Virgin Australia VA-X and Win competition: All the details
- How I used Qantas Points to see Antarctica (as nowhere else is open)
- NSW Dine and Discover vouchers extended: Best ways to use yours now