The cheapest iPhone in Australia is now $200 more expensive
Goodbye iPhone 5c.
While the previous generation iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s have dropped in price by $70, Apple has also discontinued the iPhone 5c. That was previously the cheapest model available from Apple, selling for $529 for the 8GB model.
- ALSO READ: Apple iPhone 6s and 6s Plus Australia pricing and release date
- ALSO READ: Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are actually cheaper in Australia
- ALSO READ: What's the difference between the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6?
- ALSO READ: Apple Australia just made every iPad you want more expensive
- ALSO READ: Apple iPhone 6s: Why no eSIM?
Now it has been dumped, the cheapest model is the 16Gb iPhone 5s, which sells for $749. That's a $220 rise on the previous lowest price. Apple has also discontinued the 128GB models of the 6 and 6 Plus; if you want that much storage, you have to buy a 6s or 6s Plus. While other retailers are likely to sell the older models for a while, as far as Apple itself is concerned, it's all over.
Here are the new and old prices for the iPhone 6, 6 Plus and 5s in Australia:
|Model||Storage||Old price||New price|
|iPhone 6 Plus||16GB||$1,149.00||$1,079.00|
|iPhone 6 Plus||64GB||$1,299.00||$1,229.00|
Even with a $70 drop, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more expensive in Australia than when they launched. Apple raised its prices back in March 2015 to deal with the higher exchange rate.