The best destinations for first-time travellers revealed by Skyscanner
Take the plunge and add these top cities to your travel bucket-list.
Aussies are renowned for making the most of our time off with holidays all around the globe but our research has found that it's not always an easy process for everyone. Fear of flying and other concerns can get in the way of a good time and to help ease the process, Skyscanner has come up with the top destinations you should consider for your first trip.
A recent survey by Skyscanner found the key apprehensions keeping back wannabe travellers include the long flight duration (18%), safety concerns (8%) and being out of their "comfort zone" (5%).
The most significant reason holding back Australians from experiencing the positives of wanderlust was the cost of travel (48%).
The survey also revealed that over three-quarters (78%) of globetrotters considered their first overseas trip to be an exciting experience and 24% said their only regret was that they "didn't do it earlier in life". Skyscanner's latest Travel Trends report also recently revealed that over a third (35%) of Aussie travellers see part of their holiday experiences as a chance for "self-fulfilment".
What are the best destinations for first-time travellers?
Taking the top destinations Aussies love to visit and indexing them based on the key apprehensions that we usually have (cost of the flight, cost at the destination, flight duration and safety), Skyscanner has found 10 destinations that are ideal for those hoping to combat these hesitations.
At the very top is Nadi in Fiji, a tropical getaway just a short flight from home where travellers can find year-round sunshine. Australia's close cousin, New Zealand also featured high on the list thanks to the low flight costs, short flight duration and high safety ranking.
If you're keen to get a little bit outside of your comfort zone and experience a whole different culture, then you can also consider Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Sometimes overlooked by Aussie travellers, there's actually a lot to love here. With a great mix of modernity, nature, history and culture, the experience is worth the longer flight time.
Skyscanner's top destinations for first-time travellers
|2||Auckland, New Zealand||$469|
|3||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia||$676|
|4||Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam||$836|
Where should first-time travellers avoid?
London, New York and Paris are clear favourites amongst more experienced travellers looking for a big city break but all three ranked on the lower end of Skyscanner's Index due to a combination of the average cost of flights and travel time.
They take roughly more than three times longer to get to and are more expensive than the likes of Fiji.
San Francisco actually scored high for its safety but the United States city also ranked as one of the costliest destinations for daily spend on everyday items.
Top tips for first-time international travellers
To help you be a savvy first-time traveller, Skyscanner has put together these handy tips to take note of before your international adventure.
- Decide where to go. For inspiration, check our destinations guide for the low-down on destinations around the world, including when to go, where to stay and the must-sees.
- Know when it's best to book flights. Check out the latest flight sales to find the best deals.
- Get your paperwork sorted. A passport is essential and remember that some countries require visas.
- Do your local research in advance. Spontaneity can be fun but a little planning can help put your mind at ease.
- Pack smart. Make sure you have all the comforts that you'll need along the way, and don't forget power adapters.
- 5 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood filming locations you can visit IRL
- Australians prefer local travel over road-tripping interstate
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Philippines, Europe and the Pacific Islands
- Trip.com launches Mega Sale with up to 15% off flights, 8% off hotels and more
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Ireland, Singapore and South Korea