The best deals in Telstra’s Super Saver sale
You could save up to $330 on a new mobile phone with Telstra
Telstra has decided to drop the price way down on several models of mobile phones as part of its Super Saver sale. Until 30 June, you'll be able to save up to $330 on some smartphones as part of a 24- or 36-month contract with Telstra. All you do is pick the phone you want and choose one of Telstra's postpaid monthly plans.
Now is a particularly good time to pick up a handset if you've been needing a replacement for a while but haven't seen a deal floating around that you like.
Here's what's available, and how much you could save on a Super Saver contract with Telstra. We've used Telstra's $50 Small plan here to calculate the total price you'd be paying over the course of a 24-month contract.
|Model||Regular retail price for handset||Super Saver handset price (over 24 months)||Total price (with $50 plan over 24 months)|
|iPhone XS 64GB||$1,632||$984 (save $648)||$2,184|
|Samsung Galaxy A90 5G||$1,049||$719 (save $330)||$1,919|
|Google Pixel 4 64GB||$1,049||$719 (save $330)||$1,919|
|Google Pixel 4 128GB||$1,199||$911 (save $288)||$2,111|
|Telstra Tough Max 3||$499||$359 (save $140)||$1,559|
|Nokia 7.2||$499||$359 (save $140)||$1,559|
While none of these handsets is the latest model, they should last you into the future – especially the 5G Samsung handset, which will be able to take advantage of 5G speeds as these networks are rolled out.
iPhone XS plans
Your savings on the iPhone XS are the largest among all the models, adding up to $648 over a 24 month contract. It's a slight upgrade on the iPhone X model, but remains fairly expensive overall and hasn't improved the battery life particularly much. It was released in September last year.
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G plans
The Samsung Galaxy A90 represents Telstra's best deal in terms of how much you save, dropping $330 off the full price over 24 months. It features a triple camera, larger-than-average display and 5G connectivity abilities so you can potentially hop on board Telstra's emerging 5G network. This phone was released in September of last year.
Google Pixel 4 plans
The Google Pixel 4 is on par with the Samsung model in terms of how much you can save on handset costs over the life of the contract. It features dual cameras, an astrophotography mode and a cool display, but it has a shorter battery life. Be aware that both Optus and Vodafone are offering a bigger discount on the Pixel 4 (half off, in fact), though they won't come with all the same features you'd get in a Telstra plan.
Telstra Tough Max 3 plans
Your savings on the Telstra Tough Max 3 will be about the same as the Nokia 7.2, $140 over 24 months. This phone is designed to be extremely durable, suitable for farmers, miners or people who just have a tendency to drop their phone on the floor a lot. This model is super new, only launching in January of this year.
Nokia 7.2 plans
While you won't get the biggest discount on the Nokia 7.2 (just $140 over 24 months), it's still a very decent mid-range option for a smartphone. It has grippy glass all over for ease of holding and use, a bigger battery than its predecessor and a large screen-to-body ratio. It was released in September of last year.
Telstra's plan features
When you jump onto a Telstra postpaid plan, you get a whole host of extra features and benefits for the prices you're paying. These include the following:
- $10 monthly credit. If you buy a phone on a 24 month contract, you'll get $10 credit applied to your bill every month.
- 5G access. So long as you have a 5G capable handset, you'll get a free trial of Telstra's 5G network until 30 June. After that, the two cheaper plans will have to pay $15 per month to stay on, while the more expensive plans will stay on automatically. Telstra's 5G network is currently restricted mainly to major metro and CBD areas.
- Unlimited data. When you hit your data cap, you won't get charged for extra data. Instead, you'll be able to continue downloading at a reduced rate of 1.5Mbps, without having to pay anything more.
- Sports streaming. You can watch certain sports like AFL, netball and A-league without using any of your data.
- Music streaming. Stream as much as you want from Apple Music without using up any data. You will need to have an Apple Music subscription, however.
- Telstra Air. All Telstra plans come with free access to the Telstra Air national Wi-Fi network, which includes thousands of hotspots around the country.
- Telstra Plus. Earn Telstra Plus rewards points for paying bills and spend them on a whole range of different things in the Telstra Plus rewards shop.
- International call packs. Get unlimited standard calls and SMS to phones in 25 countries for an extra $10 per month on your mobile plan.
- $10 monthly credit. If you buy a phone on a 24 month contract, you’ll get $10 credit applied to your bill every month.
- amaysim acquires OVO: What does that mean for you?
- New iPhone SE 2020 Plans from Telstra, Optus & Vodafone
- Save by switching to a cheap mobile plan during lockdown
- Optus and Vodafone now offering the Google Pixel 4 at half price
- Telstra, Optus & more offer free data and calls for working from home: How much more do you get?