Telstra 65GB prepaid plan: 50% off for 1 week only
Get a whole lot of data for half the price – is it worth it?
Black Friday is just a few short weeks away but that doesn't mean you have to wait until then to grab a deal.
Telstra is offering a $60 Prepaid SIM starter kit slashed to $30 for the first payment with the code TELSTRA60. This code is an affiliate exclusive, meaning you'll only find it on Finder and similar sites.
What's the deal?
Telstra offers a bonus 25GB for the first 3 recharges. That's 40GB plus 25GB bonus data for a total of 65GB. With the affiliate-only code, you'll pay just $30 for the first recharge then $60 for each recharge after.
You'll lose the bonus data on the fourth recharge but it has no lock-in contract so you can easily switch.
Over 12 months you'll receive 555GB of data for a total of $690.
This is Telstra's only prepaid plan that offers 5G.
- Keep in mind: 5G availability depends on your location. Telstra's 5G network covers 80% of Australians.
Offer ends: 9am AEDT 9 November 2022.
What do you get on a Telstra prepaid mobile plan?
This Telstra prepaid mobile plan includes the following:
- Access to Telstra's 4G/5G networks. Telstra's 4G network is the largest in the country covering 95% of Australians. It's a great option for those wanting to get away from the cities and explore more of the country. Its 5G network is still rolling out and covers around 80% of the population.
- Unlimited calls and texts in Australia.
- Continuous data rollover. Roll over up to 200GB of data you haven't used when you recharge before your plan expires.
- Flexibility. If you decide that $60 for 40GB is too much to pay after the bonus data runs out, you can recharge to any of Telstra's other existing offers. You can also switch to another provider and take advantage of other deals thanks to a no-lock-in contract.
How does this deal compare?
Let's start with value. We use a $1 per 1GB benchmark as a guide for value on mobile plans.
For the first recharge, you're paying just $0.46 per GB. For the second and third months, you'll pay $0.92 per GB. Finally, when there's no discount or bonus data, you'll pay $1.50 per GB.
This means the bulk of the value on this plan is during the first 3 months.
Optus's Prepaid Epic Data plan is $30 for 40GB ($0.75 per GB) with similar inclusions but no bonus data or discounts.
You could sign up to this Telstra plan and reap the benefits for the first 3 months and then switch to another provider if you wanted to test out the Telstra network. You could also sign up with a smaller provider that uses part of the Telstra network.
Outside of cost, Telstra has the largest network and decent inclusions that should make the higher price worth it. Telstra's prepaid mobile plans saw it named a finalist in the 2022 Finder Mobile Awards.
Sign up to Telstra's offer now or compare other prepaid mobile plans.