As a rebadged Alcatel handset, the Telstra Essential Plus isn't fancy, but it's also cheaper than many of the carrier's plans. If all you need is simple smartphone operation, it's an easy recommendation.
- It's very cheap
- 4G capable
- Android Oreo Go
- Blue Tick certified
- It would only go fast if you dropped it off a cliff
- Battery life isn't great
- Generic design
The Telstra Essentials Plus covers the essentials and not much more, but at its asking price it's undeniably good value.
The latest rebranded Alcatel phone to arrive with a quick coat of Telstra paint is the Telstra Essential Plus. It's a slightly reworked Alcatel 1, which means it joins the very small family of phones running Android Oreo Go here in Australia. It's also only $99 outright, which means it's extremely affordable.
- Small in the hand.
- Feels cheap (because it is).
- Headphone socket included!
- A camera is present. That's about it.
- Slow to start, slow to focus.
- Slow application performance.
- Android Oreo Go apps work a little better than you might think.
- Display washes out a lot when flat on a desk.
- Woeful battery life.
- Hard to argue against the value of a $99 4G smartphone.
- A good choice for low needs phone users.
Pricing and availability
Telstra Essential Plus
Just the essentials
The Telstra Essential Plus provides fundamental smartphone functionality at a supremely affordable price.
- You can purchase the Telstra Essential Plus outright for $99 directly from Telstra as well as stores like Big W and Kmart.
Telstra Essential Plus specs
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||960 x 480|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||214.66|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||5|
|Rear camera (1) aperture|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||2|
|Front camera (1) aperture|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Telstra Essential Plus
Latest Telstra news
Here's all the details you need to know about Telstra's new Telstra Plus loyalty scheme, including loyalty tiers, costs and deals for every tier. Read more…
Concerns about new mobile networks are nothing new, but there's little credible evidence that 5G networks pose a serious health risk. Read more…
Telstra has locked up an exclusive on the Motorola Moto G7 Power and its impressive 5,000mAh battery pack. Read more…