Teacher’s aide courses online in Australia
Your options for accredited teacher’s aid courses and the topics you’ll study.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If education is an area that interests you, getting your Teacher's Aide Certificate is a good entry point into this field.
A teacher's aide assists the class teacher with administrative duties such as ordering supplies and classroom responsibilities such as attending to the children.
We'll show you where you can take courses online and how you can advance in the education industry in Australia.
Where can I find teacher's aide courses online?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What online courses are available to become a teacher's aide?
Teacher's aide courses provide you with the knowledge and know-how to work in different settings - from public and private schools to community education centres.
The preliminary online course required is a Teacher's Aide Certificate. This can be obtained from the following institutions:
Teacher's Aide Certificate
A Teacher's Aide Certificate gives you a general knowledge of how to organise and manage a classroom or education centre. From it you'll learn:
- How to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to assist the head teacher
- How to implement planned educational programs.
- How to develop children's literacy, oral language and numeracy skills.
- How to support the health and safety of students by complying with educational legislative requirements.
- Different kinds of behavioural needs.
If you already hold a Teacher's Aide Certificate, you might want to refresh your credentials with a Teacher's Aide Advanced Certificate, which is available from the same educational institutions mentioned above.
A Certificate IV in Education Support can take your training to the next level and advance your knowledge in the field. This course is available online from the following institutions:
|Certificate IV in Education Support|
As the next step in your training, you will develop new skills including:
- Contributing to students' literacy and mathematics studies.
- Supporting the production of language resources.
- Applying curriculum and support learning.
- Moving into different areas, such as working with students with additional needs like autism spectrum disorder.
- Understanding and responding to different learning styles and behavioral traits.
- Advancing your professional practice and developing personal attributes pertinent to the job. This includes good communication and interpersonal skills, patience, compassion and a sense of duty of care.
To take your training even further in the field of education and teaching, you might consider taking a university course in education.
Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education) - for those who want to attain an Initial Teacher Education qualification and to register as a teacher in Australia and other recognised countries.
|Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education)|
What topics may be covered in a teacher's aide online course?
Through your teacher's aide certification, you will learn important interpersonal and communication skills, while developing practical training in classroom management and lesson planning.
The teacher's aide course outline includes the following topics:
- Work effectively with students and colleagues
- Support behaviour of children and young people
- Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
- Contribute to the health and safety of children
- Contribute to student education in all developmental domains
- Assist in implementation of planned education and programs
- Contribute to organisation and management of classroom or centre
- Support the development of literacy and oral language skills
- Support the development of numeracy skills
- Support students with additional needs in the classroom environment
- Work with diverse people
- Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- Participate in workplace health and safety
- Supervise students outside the classroom
- Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- Provide first aid
How long does a teacher's aide course take to complete?
A certificate in teacher's aide generally takes six months to complete.
A Certificate IV in Education Support, takes anything from 6 months to 2 years to complete when working at your own pace.
For a bachelor's degree, it can take 3-4 years depending on your field of study.
What are the career opportunities after taking a teacher's aide course?
- Teacher's aide
- Teaching assistant
- Preschool aide
- Education aide
- Integration aide
What equipment and software will I need?
To complete a teacher's aide course online, you will need a laptop or desktop with a stable Internet connection, a microphone and a camera.
You will also need to have access to Zoom for face-to-face sessions. This is free to download.
See the latest deals for teacher's aide courses
More guides on Finder
RAT scams: How to avoid getting conned with rapid antigen tests
Don't fall for the scam artists when you're trying to protect your health - here's what to check.
How to do a COVID-19 test at home for international travel
Here's where you can book COVID-19 at-home tests approved for travel and how they work.
Where to shop every product in Kiernan Shipka’s beauty routine
We've rounded up everything you need to nail the 'date-worthy' makeup look, including some affordable dupes.
American Express Corporate Gold Card
Designed for big companies, this Amex charge card offers a mix of management tools and perks – including a 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards offer.
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Beauty Product of the Week: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer
We tried the viral Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer and spoiler alert, it's the bee's knees.
Where to watch Hotel Transylvania 4 online for free in Australia
Drac and the Pack are back, like you’ve never seen them before.
Dyson V12 Detect Slim review: Baby love, my baby love
A delightful compact vacuum with an unjustifiable price.
Stan Event: Streaming platform joins pay-per-view ranks
A new player enters the Australian sports broadcast market.
Amazon Echo Buds (2nd Gen) review: Fine if you’re already trapped by Bezos
The Amazon Echo Buds 2 are a solid addition to your earholes if you’re already integrated in the Alexa ecosystem. But if you’re not, its hard to find anything here that really stands out.
Ask an Expert