Tablet scoring methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our tablet reviews.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Here at Finder, we rigorously test the tablets we review to determine scores for design, performance and battery life as well as an overall score. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers break down each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Portability. How heavy and bulky is it?
- Materials. What is it made out of? Does it feel cheap or high-quality?
- Display. How big is the screen? What resolution does it have? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see the screen clearly in all lighting conditions?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the device easier or harder to use?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What's included in the box? Does it come with a stylus? How easy is it to set up the tablet?
- Features. Does it have a headphone jack? Is there a microSD card slot? Does it offer face ID scanning or a fingerprint sensor?
- Keyboard. Is there a wide range of compatible keyboards? Is a keyboard included?
To determine the camera score, we consider the following:
- Hardware. Does it have both rear and front-facing cameras? Does it offer dual lenses? How easy is it to hold while taking photos?
- Photos. How many megapixels does it record? How well does the focus work?
- Videos. What resolution does it record in? How well does it work for video calls?
- Editing. Is there a wide range of photo and video editing software available?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Operating system. What OS does the device use? Does it support a wide range of apps?
- Storage. How much storage does it offer? Is the storage expandable?
- Processing power. What processor does it use? How fast and powerful is it?
- Drawing. Can it be used for drawing and graphic design? If so, how responsive is the screen? How sensitive is the drawing stylus?
- Speaker quality. How loud are the speakers? Is the sound clear?
- Connectivity. Does it offer Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC or GPS? Does it support mobile broadband?
To determine the battery score, we consider the following:
- Battery life. How long does the battery last? Does the battery life live up to the manufacturer's promise?
- Charging method. Does it use a micro USB, USB-C, lightning cable or proprietary charger? Is wireless charging available?
- Charging time. How long does it take to charge?
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design, camera, performance and battery life, the price and how it compares to other available tablets. For example, a tablet could have high scores for design and performance, but a high price tag might bring down the overall score.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Battery life
- How it compares to the rest of the market
While our scores reflect the value we give each tablet, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a device differs from ours, we'd love to hear from you.
We review devices as we get them. Software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the device. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
More technology articles
The Logitech Z407s cram big sound and even bigger bass into a sleek, versatile package.Read more…
These are the best air mouse remotes you can get your hands on in Australia.Read more…
D-Link’s COVR-X1873 provides superb mesh networking coverage for even the trickiest home or office spots, although it might be overkill for some users.Read more…
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Huge men's sneaker sale, 40% off Ray-Bans sunglasses, 47% off Apple iPhone XS.
Best Nintendo GameCube games
Nintendo’s GameCube is a classic of the retro gaming scene, and we’ve carefully curated the library of must-have titles for any serious retro gamer.
Best kitchen scales in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best kitchen scales you can buy online in Australia.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
Best Retro Game Consoles in Australia
Whether you’re looking back on the games of your youth or picking up retro game collecting as a hobby, here’s the best retro games consoles in Australia.
Find out your credit score using Credit Simple
How to find out your credit score using this free tool.
How to get your credit score using ClearScore
How to get an accurate snapshot of your credit history with this free tool.
AMD RX 6800 graphics card review
The RX 6800 is a significant step forward for AMD graphics cards, but it's not quite enough to take the crown from Nvidia.
Best prostate massagers in Australia
These are the 6 best prostate massagers you can buy right now in Australia.
Best water flossers in Australia
These are the five best water flosser you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert