Sydney Opera House on New Year’s Eve 2020/2021
Have an unbelievable start to the year with an opera followed by the unrivalled views of the midnight fireworks.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Sydney is famous for being one of the greatest places in the world to ring in the new year.
Pair that with a seat in the city's iconic Sydney Opera House for its New Year's Eve show and you've got a night that's pretty hard to forget - including panoramic views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge fireworks.
Unfortunately, the Sydney Opera House shows have been cancelled for 2020 due to the pandemic.
To give you an idea of what to expect in 2021, we've outlined the performances and ticket options for 2019 below. If you'd still like to visit the Opera House on the evening though, its attached venues Bennelong, Opera Kitchen and Opera Bar are hosting New Year's Eve dinners and parties.
Sydney Opera House New Year's Eve Soirée from Get Your Guide
Experience New Year's eve at Sydney Opera House and enjoy the prime views of fireworks.Highlights:
- Exclusive event
- Access to ABC NYE Concert from the Yallamundi Rooms
- Unlimited food and drinks
- From $795 per person
In previous years, La Bohème and The Opera Gala played on New Year's Eve. Their intervals are perfectly timed with the 9pm fireworks display which you can step out and see from this pristine harbour view.
Guests are welcome to stay at the Opera House until the midnight fireworks. For unparalleled views, canapes, drinks and live entertainment, there's often a Midnight Party you can book a spot into alongside your opera tickets.
Host to multiple dining and drinking venues year-on-year the Opera House puts on an event in more than just its concert halls. The 2020/2021 details are yet to be confirmed though these are the usual suspects that offer meals with views:
- Bennelong: Bennelong is serving up a five-course degustation menu, paired with premium wines, within the sails of Sydney Opera House. There are two seating options - one in the main dining room, the other at the Cured & Cultured Counter as bar-style seating. Tickets from $1,450pp.
- Opera Kitchen: Guarantee yourself a front row seat to the New Year's Eve action at Opera Kitchen. This waterfront venue has canapes, mains, deserts and beverage packages from this private viewing area. Tickets $700pp.
- Opera Bar: Each year Opera Bar hosts a themed outdoor party with food through the night. The theme this year is NYE 2020 Under The Stars and there will be live music and roving entertainment throughout the night. It is an 18+ event. Tickets $450pp.
- NYE Soiree in the Yallamundi Rooms: Celebrate the beginning of 2021 at the Yallamundi rooms at the Sydney Opera House, while supping on a four-course seated dinner, 4.5 hours of free-flowing drinks and table service up until midnight strikes for fireworks. $750pp (earlybird release) / $795pp (2nd release)
- New Year's Eve at Portside. French Champagne shall flow (for 4 long hours) and canapes shall be eaten as you sit underneath the sails with unobstructed views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and ready yourself for a night of splendour. The 2020/2021 party has an exclusive performace by Sneaky Sound System. Tickets from $495pp (earlybird release) / $550pp (2nd release)
- Joan Sutherland Theatre: A new venue for New Year's celebrations, the northern foyer of the theatre is being decked with a select number of tables for revellers to wine, dine and celebrate on the 31st. Packages include a 5-course seated dinner, 5 hours of beverages and table service. All tables have window views for that midnight show. Tickets $850pp (earlybird release) / $895pp (2nd release).
What you should know about New Year's Eve at Sydney Opera House
Is there a dress code?
Yes, a dress code is in place for all New Year's Eve events at Sydney Opera House.
Where can I buy Sydney Opera House New Year's Eve tickets?
None of the Opera House events has been confirmed yet. We'll keep you updated here on where you can purchase tickets, if the events go ahead.
Can I watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from Sydney Opera House?
Yes. Anyone with tickets to an event or dinner on this page can view the fireworks from the venue. Check the terms and conditions on the specific event you're attending for more details about where you can access on the big night.
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
What’s open in Sydney: Bars, restaurants and attractions
Here are the shopping centres and public spaces that are still open in Sydney. Looking for a bite to eat? See your dine-in and takeaway restaurant options. Plus, find out what restrictions have been lifted in NSW.
A couple of travel makers: The brightest spots for a Vivid Sydney date night
Our top three precincts for a Vivid Sydney date night. Plus, the three most romantic installations in the city.
Vivid Sydney 2019: Must-sees and what to miss
Our picks for the five best Vivid Sydney displays this year, and three worth skipping when the festival starts at 6pm on 24 May, 2019.
Sydney Opera House tours: Compare tour options and deals
Want to explore the Sydney Opera House? Check out the top tours, plus some great deals to help you save money on your Opera House experience.
Sydney Opera House Promo Codes and Deals for January 2021
Get the best price on shows, concerts and tours at the Sydney Opera House.
4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year at sea with these celebratory New Year's Eve cruises.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
Ask an Expert