Have an unbelievable start to 2017 with an opera followed by the midnight fireworks.
Sydney is well known for being one of the greatest places in the world to ring in the new year. Pair that with a seat in the city’s most iconic building and you’ve got a night that will be hard to forget.
Each year, Sydney Opera House puts on a grand New Year’s Eve show. Getting tickets to this event offers you premier positions to view both the 9pm and midnight fireworks.
This year, the two shows on offer are the classic opera La Bohème and a collection of arias at Opera Gala. Here’s how you can get tickets.
New Year’s Opera Gala
Taking the stage in the Concert Hall at Sydney Opera House, the Opera Gala concert features much-loved arias by Verdi, Puccini and Rossini. The show’s interval is perfectly timed with the 9pm fireworks display when you can step out and see the show. Guests are welcome to stay at the Opera House until the midnight light show for unparalleled views.
Opera Gala New Year’s Eve tickets
The Opera Gala on New Year's Eve from City Discovery
- Watch performances of popular arias by Verdi, Puccini, Rossini and more
- See the 9pm fireworks during intermission and stay at the Opera House until the midnight show
- Price is per person and includes lunch
Watch the Puccini classic set on the streets of 1930s bohemian Berlin in the Joan Sutherland Theatre on New Year’s Eve. La Bohème is the emotional opening to the opera season, and the setting and date can’t be beat. After the first act, you’ll have the chance to step out of the theatre to watch the 9pm family fireworks before continuing on with the show, which will end with a bang before midnight so you can catch the countdown to 2017 outside with views of the harbour.
The New Year's 2016 La Bohème show is now sold out. While they're not on New Year's Eve, here are other operas in Sydney and more shows you can get tickets to at the Sydney Opera House.
Other Sydney Opera House New Year's Eve events:
- NYE Party at the House: Dine on a canape menu by Matt Moran and the ARIA team, plus wine, cocktails and champagne - all served throughout the evening. Entertainment includes L'Tric and DJ Dan Rowntree before kicking off the new year with one of the best views in the city of the midnight fireworks. Price: $595 per person
- Opera Kitchen: Get guaranteed seating on Opera Kitchen's upper level, complete with personal butler serving a continuous canape-style dinner and premium beverages including top-shelf spirits and French champagne. Finish off the night with the fireworks seen from a private viewing area. Price: $1,200 per person.
- Bennelong: Executive chef Peter Gilmore has created a six-course degustation menu, paired with matching wines, all served at Bennelong within the sails of Sydney Opera House. Price: $1,350 per person.
- Opera Bar (NOW SOLD OUT): Join the over-18s dance party event at Opera Bar, complete with a five-hour canape package and entertainment by Furnace and the Fundamentals, Alphamama and DJ Natural Selector. Price: $390 per person
What you should know about a New Year's Eve at Sydney Opera House:
Is there a dress code?
For New Year's Eve events at Sydney Opera House, a dress code is in place.
Where can I buy Sydney Opera House New Year's Eve tickets?
Tickets for Premium, A-, B- and C-Reserve seats for both La Bohème and Opera Gala can be purchased right here. Just click on the seats you'd like to purchase above and you'll be able to complete your order.
Can I watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from Sydney Opera House?
If you've purchased tickets to an event or dinner listed on this page, then you'll be able to view the fireworks from the venue. Check the terms and conditions on the specific event you're attending for more details about where you can access on the big night.