Best places to exchange currency in Sydney
Where to find the best deal when you want to exchange foreign currency in Sydney.
If you're looking to exchange foreign currency in Sydney, you're spoiled for choice. As Australia's largest city, Sydney has lots of exchange services to choose from – but it's a good idea to shop around to make sure you're getting good value for your money.
Keep reading to find some of the best places to exchange currency in the Sydney CBD.
Compare Sydney currency exchange services
Where to exchange money in Sydney
Travelex has several branches in the Sydney CBD, with locations at Town Hall, Martin Place, in the Queen Victoria Building and at Haymarket. It also offers branches at locations like North Sydney and Bondi Junction, as well as currency exchange ATMs at Sydney Airport and a host of other city locations.
Opening hours vary between stores – while the QVB location is open seven days a week, many other stores are only open during business hours. Travelex allows customers to get a better exchange rate by ordering currency online and picking it up instore, and also offers prepaid cards for international travellers.
2. Travel Money Oz
Travel Money Oz has 29 locations in the Sydney area, including several in the heart of the city. CBD locations include two locations on George Street and one on Pitt Street.
You can order currency online or visit your nearest store, with stores open seven days a week. Travel Money Oz also offers a prepaid travel money card that can be loaded with up to 10 currencies.
3. Unimoni Australia
If you want to exchange currency in and around the Sydney CBD, Unimoni has locations at Wynyard, Market City Shopping Centre and Westfield Sydney. Several suburban locations are also available, and all Unimoni branches allow you to buy and sell more than 60 currencies.
Unimoni also offers a prepaid travel money Mastercard, which can be loaded with up to 11 currencies, and an online international money transfer platform.
4. Lotus Foreign Exchange
Lotus Foreign Exchange is a currency exchange service with locations in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. It has locations in Pitt Street and Darling Harbour, along with suburban branches in places like Parramatta, Liverpool, Hurstville and Blacktown.
All branches are open seven days a week and provide access to more than 35 currencies.
WeXchange allows customers to order foreign currency online and then pick it up instore. You can buy and sell more than 40 currencies, with its Sydney branches found at Haymarket and Town Hall.
The Haymarket branch is open seven days, but the Town Hall location is only open Monday to Friday.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
Remember these tips to ensure that you get the best value for money when exchanging currency:
- Check the mid-market rate. Use Google or a currency conversion site like XE to check the current mid-market exchange rate. You can then use this to work out how much of a markup the service is charging on the currency you want to buy.
- Watch for hidden fees. Check what fees apply to your transaction. Even if a provider claims to offer "no-fee" exchanges, remember that they will add a hidden margin to the exchange rate.
- Don't exchange money at the airport. Airport foreign exchange booths have a monopoly on the market, so they tend to charge higher fees and offer lower exchange rates.
- Don't use an ATM. While using your card to withdraw money from a foreign ATM is a quick and convenient method, it also attracts high fees and poor exchange rates.
- Avoid paying with a credit or debit card. If you buy a currency using a credit or debit card, your card provider might slug you with a hefty cash advance fee.
- Shop online. Before heading to an exchange bureau, do some online research to find the providers that are currently offering the best rates.
Compare money transfer services
Looking for an international transfer service rather than a currency exchange service? Enter your transfer amount and currency into the calculator below to see how much your transaction will cost with a range of leading transfer providers.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Transfer to over 99 countries via online banking, phone banking or through an ANZ bank branch.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Global Reach will match any competitor's exchange rates. Conditions apply.
No transfer fee when transferring more than £10,000 or equivalent. Send money in over 130 currencies. No maximum transfer amount.
Ask an Expert