If you're planning to upgrade to the latest version of the iPhone, you need to consider how you'll transfer your data from your older model to the new iPhone 7.
The Apple iPhone 7 is now available, and brings with it a whole range of benefits and improved features. But if you're planning on upgrading from an older iPhone, you'll need to consider how to transfer all your important data to the new smartphone. In this article you’ll find a number of ways that you can easily transfer your data from one iPhone to another– so you can get on with the important decisions, like choosing a plan that’s right for you.
Note: This method can only be used if you’re under a stable Wi-Fi environment. If you don’t have Wi-Fi at home, skip to Option 2.
- First, take your older device that you are transferring the data from.
- Next, tap on ‘Settings’ (the icon with the cogs).
- In ‘Settings’, scroll down and touch ‘iCloud’.
- What you will see is a list of items that will be backed up over iCloud (things like Photos, Contacts, Documents and Data etc.) If you want something to be backed up, like Photos, make sure the ‘button’ next to it is green or says ‘On’.
- Once you’ve checked this, tap on ‘Storage & Backup’.
- On the next screen, you will see an option at the bottom of the screen ‘iCloud Backup’, make sure that this is toggled on (green).
- Set down your old phone and give it some time to complete the backup process.
- This next part is made easy. Take your new phone out of the box and power it on (most iPhones come with about 70% battery).
- You will meet a few screens when you switch your new iPhone on. First choose your language, country and then your Wi-Fi network (if there is one available to you).
- Next, on the ‘Set up your iPhone’ page, you will be presented with three choices: ‘Set Up as New iPhone’,’Restore from iCloud Backup’ and ‘Restore from iTunes Backup’.
- Select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’ and tap ‘Next’. Enter your Apple ID and password in the fields provided (these will be the same as your old device).
- If you’ve previously backed up your data to the iCloud, you will be given a list of times and dates. At this stage, make sure you select the most recent backup.
- Set down your new iPhone and allow for the data transfer to complete.
Note: You will have to have iTunes installed and updated to connect your iPhone to it. To update iTunes, you will need to be within a stable Wi-Fi environment.
- Connect your old iPhone to a computer with iTunes installed via the USB cable (charging cable) that came with your device.
- iTunes should automatically open once the device is connected. If not, open iTunes.
- In iTunes, click ‘File’ (located in the top left corner of the screen).
- Under the file tab, hover your mouse over ‘Devices’, then select ‘Back up’.
- Your data will begin to transfer from your old phone to iTunes. Depending on how much data (photos, videos and music) you have on your device, the transfer should take around 5-10 minutes. However, this is also dependant on various other factors and can take even longer at times.
- It is important to check that the backup was successful. To do this, click ‘iTunes’ at the top of the page, then ‘Preferences’. In ‘Preferences’, click on the ‘Devices’ tab. Here, you’ll be given a list of recent backups, make sure that the most recent one at the top is the backup you’ve just performed.
- Next, disconnect your old phone from the computer by removing the USB cable. You’re also going to want to take your SIM card out of the old phone and insert into your new phone (or get a SIM replacement from your mobile provider if it doesn't fit). Once this is done, power the iPhone on.
- Once the phone is switched on, you will be met with a number of pages that ask you to choose a language, country and Wi-Fi network (if you have one available). You will then be given three options ‘Set Up as New Phone’, ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’ and ‘Restore from iTunes Backup’.
- You will then be prompted you to connect your new iPhone to the computer.
- iTunes will notice when you’ve connected your new phone and you will be welcomed with a greeting message, ‘Welcome to your new iPhone.’
- Click ‘File’ at the top of the screen, hover your mouse over ‘Devices’ and select ‘Restore from Backup...’ and select the most recent backup.
- Set your phone down and allow for the data transfer to complete.
Looking for a deal on the new iPhone 7? Compare the best contract plans below: