Super Mario Run will arrive on 15 December
Nintendo’s mascot will hit iOS mid-December, but he won’t be cheap.
While everybody knew via the mass of leaks surrounding it that Apple would announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus back at its 8 September event, it did have a surprise up its sleeve that absolutely nobody saw coming in the form of Super Mario Run. While Nintendo had flagged its intent to shift into mobile gaming, and released the somewhat lacklustre Miitomo app, Mario was an entirely different shift for the traditionally inwards-focused gaming giant.
Nintendo stated at the iPhone launch that Super Mario Run would be released before Christmas for a single price with no initial additional IAP (in-app purchase) elements. It will launch in Australia on 15 December with a one-off price of $14.99 to unlock the full game. It will be available as a free app, with Nintendo noting that "This game is free to download, and some content will be available for free". If you want the whole game, however, there’s that $14.99 price point for Mario to leap over.
$14.99 is quite high for a mobile game, but conversely it’s cheaper than any new Mario game has ever been at launch. The game will feature three modes, "World Tour", "Toad Rally" and "Kingdom Builder" respectively. Nintendo has set up a full site for the game where you can view short gameplay movies and sign up to be notified when it’s fully released.
- Where to find the best price on Super Mario Odyssey in Australia
- Where to find the best price on Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus in Australia
- Where to find the best price on Just Dance 2018 in Australia
- Get your Westeros fix with the free Game of Thrones: Conquest mobile game
- Sableye, Banette and more Gen III Pokémon are coming to Pokémon GO later this month