With $40 billion funds under management, HESTA is the super fund for health and community services in Australia.
Established in 1987, HESTA is the largest super fund that looks after the needs of Australia’s health and community services.
As an industry super fund, HESTA is run to benefit the needs of its more than 800,000 members rather than to make a profit from them.
HESTA manages $40 billion in assets and has a history of providing solid, long-term investment returns. It charges minimal fees and offers a choice of 11 investment options to suit your financial needs.
Why you should include HESTA in your comparison
- Chant West Specialist Fund of the Year 2016 & 2017
- SelectingSuper Personal Select Choice Product of the Year 2016
- Received SuperRatings' 10 year Platinum Performance rating 2007-2017
- MySuper of the Year, 2014 SelectingSuper Awards. Core Pool - HESTA's default investment option - took out this prestigious award.
- Super Fund of the Year, 2013 SelectingSuper Awards.
What you need to know about HESTA
HESTA aims to give its members a greater level of control over their futures. It does this by providing them with a wide range of investment choices and a selection of affordable financial services, including insurance, banking and financial advice. When you manage your super with HESTA, you can invest your money in the following asset classes:
- Global credit
- Alternative defensives
- Private equity
- Australian and international shares
- Alternative growth
HESTA offers four ready-made investment pools to suit the risk profiles of different members, as well as the option of tailoring your own investment portfolio.
What’s the online platform like for HESTA?
HESTA members can enjoy 24/7 access to their account through the fund’s online platform. This allows them to check their investment, update their investment strategy, consolidate their super and perform a range of other important account tasks at any time.
What super funds are offered by HESTA?
- Conservative Pool. The most conservative of HESTA’s pools, this offers a low-risk investment option. It has a long-term investment objective over 10 years of CPI + 3%. It features a higher exposure to cash and credit markets than HESTA’s other pools, as well as approximately 25% of investments in shares. This suits defensive investors and has a suggested minimum investment timeframe of one to three years.
- Core Pool. HESTA’s MySuper-approved option, Core Pool aims to optimise investment returns but only occasionally have a crediting rate less than zero. This pool sees your funds invested in a diversified mix of assets, aiming to produce a less volatile return than you would usually expect from a fund with its long-term (10-year) investment return goal of CPI + 4%. This suits assertive investors and has a suggested minimum investment timeframe of five to seven years.
- Shares Plus. This investment option aims to provide higher long-term returns than Core Pool, with a 10-year investment return goal of CPI + 4.5%. Members who choose this option should expect substantial variation in returns from one year to the next, and its diversified portfolio includes a higher exposure to shares than Core Pool. This suits aggressive investors and has a suggested minimum investment timeframe of seven to 10 years.
- Eco Pool. This pool aims to maximise the long-term returns for investors by investing in companies that show best practice sustainability performance in their particular sector. It features a high allocation to shares and a long-term investment goal of CPI + 4%. Eco Pool suits aggressive investors and has a suggested minimum investment timeframe of seven to 10 years.
- Design your own portfolio. HESTA members also have the option of designing their own asset mix by investing in one or more of the following seven asset classes: cash, global bonds, property, infrastructure, international shares, Australian shares and private equity.
What pension accounts offered by HESTA?
- HESTA Income Stream. This provides members with a tax-effective way to access an income stream from their superannuation balance. You can access your super balance in the lead up to retirement or once you have already retired. This gives you three flexible options:
- Continue working full-time and boost your super balance by making contributions and taking advantage of any tax benefits;
- Cut down on working hours without reducing your income, by topping up your employment income with income from your super
- Retire and access a regular income from your super
You can either select HESTA’s Read-Made Investment Strategy or develop your own particular strategy from a choice of 10 investment options.
What you need to know before you apply
If you wish to join HESTA, you can do so as an individual member or as an employer. Individual membership is open to employees who work for an employer registered to pay contributions to HESTA, and self-employed applicants. You can become a member by filling out the easy online application form. You will need to provide:
- Your name, address and contact details
- Your Tax File Number
- Your super options
- Your investment choices
- Details of your previous super fund
Alternatively, you can fill out and post a hard-copy application form to HESTA. Once your application has been received and a contribution has been made on your behalf, your membership will begin. A 14-day cooling-off period applies if you change your mind about joining.
Employees will also need to fill in a ‘Choice of Super Fund’ form and give it to their employer, while you may also need to fill out a ‘Rollover’ form or select the ‘Consolidate super’ tab on HESTA Member Online if transferring from another super fund.
HESTA offers a range of competitive features and flexible options to help you take charge of your super. Compare it with other superannuation funds to find the right financial solution for your retirement.