How to stream Boxing Day Test cricket outside Australia
Whether you're at the beach, on the BBQ, in the park or otherwise celebrating Boxing Day, you don't have to miss a ball of the Boxing Day Test.
It's one of Australia's great sporting moments, and we get to enjoy anew every year. The Boxing Day Test is the biggest cricket game of them all in Australia, with a packed MCG cheering on every ball. This year it's Australia vs India, and with the series drawn at one a piece, and the sledges flying, it's a critical game.
Unfortunately, if you're not at the game itself, there's every chance you won't be near a TV. After all, Boxing Day is about soaking up the sun in Australia's great outdoors. Splashing in the pool; building sand castles on the beach; eating Christmas leftovers warmed on the BBQ; camping deep in the forest; maybe even playing backyard cricket.
So, can you stream the Boxing Day Test cricket while you are on the go? Yes, you can, thanks to the just launched new streaming service Kayo Sports.
If you haven't caught the news, Kayo Sports is a brand new sports steaming service that gives you access to over 50 sports. (See the full list here.) It's related to, but not the same, as Foxtel and has access to almost all the content offered through that service. More specifically it has all seven Fox Sports channels, as well as two ESPN and three beIN Sports channels.
It's delivered in HD, has a tonne of sports-specific viewing features, and only costs $25.
When we compared itto all the other sports streaming options available in Australia, it become a clear winner overnight. Best of all, it has a 14-day free trial, which you can use to your advantage if you want to stream the Boxing Day Test while you're outside and cannot watch your TV.
If you have a mobile phone, tablet or laptop, then you're good to go for streaming the Boxing Day Test while outside. Just follow these simple steps.
Steps to streaming the Boxing Day Test while outside
- First, you need to sign up for Kayo Sports. You can access the 14-day free trial here.
- Native apps are available for both Android and Apple mobiles and tablets. Head to the App Store, search for "Kayo Sports" and download the app.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged, and if you have any supplementary battery packs or USB chargers, make sure you bring those with you. The Boxing Day Test is a long day of cricket. To save battery life (and data consumption), make sure you turn the telecast off during tea breaks, lunch and other stoppages.
- As for data consumption, Kayo Sports will consume quite a lot. If you were to stream the entire first day of Boxing Day Test cricket you'd need at least 28GB of data. (You could drop this to 20GB by watching it in SD, but who wants to do that?) Depending on your mobile broadband plan, this may be fine. However, check. It can be quite cheap to buy a data pack in advance and give yourself the GB legroom you need to stream a full day of test cricket without interruption.
- If you want a bigger screen, you can opt for a Laptop. Both Apple's iPhone and Android devices allow you to hotspot, effectively sharing the internet connection coming in on 3G or 4G with the laptop. Find hotspot in your settings, turn it on, set a network name and a password. Now browse for Wi-Fi networks on your laptop and that network name should appear. Click it, put in the password you just created and boom, you're connected to the Internet on your laptop. You can then go to the Kayo Sports website, login, and stream the cricket direct through your laptop's browser.
- If you like the experience of Kayo Sports you can, of course, keep it. Alternatively, cancel before the 14-day period is up and you're all done. You managed to stream the Boxing Day Test cricket match while outside, and for free. Note: The Sydney New Year Test is close enough that the 14-day free trial period should include both games.
- Cricket World Cup fixtures, results, start times and TV guide
- History of State of Origin statistics: Every QLD performance ranked
- The top 50 rookie performances in State of Origin history revealed
- How to watch a State of Origin live stream in Australia
- How to watch State of Origin game 3 from overseas
Stream the best
Try out Kayo Sports' on-demand live streaming service for 14 days free
Ask an Expert