Stove connection services
Costs and pros and cons to consider when booking a stove connection service.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A stove adds versatility and functionality to a kitchen. Separated from the oven, stoves come in many styles and types.
Here's everything you need to know about stove connection services, to help you book a professional installation.
What does a stove connection service do?
Here are some of the tasks a stove connection service will do:
- Evaluate your kitchen and ensure existing connections are safe.
- Disconnect the existing stove.
- Connect the new stove.
- Test the stove to ensure it works and is ready to use to the manufacturer's specification.
- Perform a full health and safety check.
- Take the old stove and its packaging away.
- Give a basic demonstration of how to use the stove.
How do I book a stove connection service?
You can easily find stove connection services online using platforms like Airtasker or Oneflare or in online business directories. With many companies and experts available across Australia, finding one that suits your needs is easy. Get in touch with the company directly through the services website you use or via the company's website to get a price and book an appointment.
How much does a stove connection cost?
Several factors affect the price of a stove connection. Here are some of them:
- The new stove. If the installer is also supplying a new stove, the type of stove that you choose can change the amount stove connection services charge. Electric stoves cost between $250 and $700, with some brands costing more than others.
- The vent. All cooktops must have a vent, and this will raise the costs depending on where the vent will be located.
- Labour. The amount of work that needs to be done impacts the price.
- The gas connection. If you don't already have a gas connection at your home and require one, this will add to the cost.
How do I compare stove connection services?
There are many websites that allow you to compare stove connection services. Websites like Airtasker and Oneflare can help you easily find stove connectors in your area. You can easily compare services based on:
- Price and inclusions
- Convenience to you
- Customer reviews
- Staff friendliness
How should I prepare for a stove connection service?
There are a few ways to prepare for a stove connection service:
- For electric and dual fuel stoves, there needs to be a suitable outlet close by and with the right amperage.
- Clear access to the location with no obstructions.
- There must be enough space to install the stove including enough room at the back and sides for ventilation.
- Ensure there are no power points, switches or sensors above the intended stove location.
- No flammable materials like curtains or shelving is above the intended location.
How long does a stove connection service take?
It generally takes one or two hours for a stove connection service. If cabinets need to be modified or an old stove needs to be removed this may be extended.
What to consider when booking a stove connection
Some of the factors that should be considered include:
- Whether the stove connection service has the right licence and qualifications.
- If the company has the required insurance.
- Testimonials and reviews of the company.
Do I need to be home for a stove connection?
No, you do not need to be at home. Sometimes it may be easier to leave the house and let them efficiently carry out the connection. Discuss this with the installers when booking to find out if they prefer you be home.
Frequently asked questions about stove connection
Can I connect my stove myself or should I book a professional?
An improperly installed gas applicance can be dangerous, so you should always book a certified and experienced installer to connect a stove.
Does an electrician need to assist with a stove connection?
Stoves in Australian kitchens need to conform to statutory requirements and manufacturer's instructions. Because these appliances use gas and electricity they need to be installed by a licensed plumber, gasfitter and/or electrician. If you are connecting an electric stove, an electrician may be able to assist.
Are there any safety measures to consider when connecting a stove?
There are special laws and regulations in place in Australia that control how kitchen appliances are chosen, who can install them and how they should be maintained over time. Here are some safety measures to consider:
- Ensure there is enough room around the stove, in relation to other kitchen appliances.
- Always buy gas stoves that carry the Australian Gas Association (AGA) certification badge.
- Ensure the stove is connected with safe clearance from the hood and proper wiring.
- They should be installed in a location where there is an adequate supply of air to them for combustion.
- Consult your local building regulations to ensure your stove connection is compliant.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,250 off electric bikes, $70 off Nintendo Switch, $30 off Logitech G PRO X Lightspeed headsets.
Best waffle makers in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the seven best waffle makers you can buy in Australia right now.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Removal truck services
Save time and hassle when you move by booking a professional removal truck service.
How to start a mechanic business
Learn how you can get started on your journey to a profitable career as a mechanic.
Campervan hire in Perth | Where to book, what to know
Whether you’re headed into the outback or along the coast, make your trip that bit smoother with the perfect campervan.
Solar panel quotes Sydney
What you need to know to get started with solar energy in Sydney.
2020 Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid review
Learn what four motoring experts thought of the Hyundai IONIQ hybrid and plug-in hybrid
Fitness equipment removal quotes
A guide to fitness equipment removal services, including cost and how to find one for you.
Ask an Expert