Store Credit Cards
Be rewarded for your loyalty at David Jones, Myer, Coles, Woolworths or Kogan. Compare Australian store credit cards and get more benefits where you shop.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Store credit cards offer you rewards for shopping with a particular retailer or brand, with benefits ranging from points per $1 spent to discounts on your shopping, free shipping and VIP events. Use this guide to compare store credit cards and learn more about what's available and how to make the most of your spending.
Compare Store Credit Cards
How do store cards work?
These cards offer benefits when you shop with a particular brand or retailer. For example, you could earn a higher rate of points per $1 for spending with an associated store, or enjoy complimentary shipping, exclusive sales and long interest-free offers.
What stores have store cards?
You can get credit cards for the following stores, brands or retail loyalty programs:
- David Jones
What benefits can I get with a store card?
Store credit cards usually offer a range of perks you can enjoy when you shop with the brand, or elsewhere. These features vary between cards but often include:
- Reward points. Most store cards in Australia offer points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. Generally, you’ll earn the highest amount of points for spending with the store and a lower amount for spending everywhere else.
- VIP offers. Some store cards give you access to exclusive events, offers and sales. The David Jones American Express, for example, offers card member shopping events, Instant Rewards such as savings or gifts for specific purchases, and complimentary gift wrapping for purchases made in-store or online with David Jones.
- Shopping discounts. You can often get savings on your shopping with the store or associated brands when you use a store card to pay for purchases. For example, with a Woolworths credit card you can get 10% off your first shop in-store or online at Woolworths on a selected weekend each month by scanning the barcode on the back of your credit card and paying with it. David Jones and Myer credit cards may also offer member discounts at various times throughout the year.
- Complimentary delivery. If you shop online, you could enjoy complimentary delivery options with the brand that’s linked to your store card. For instance, David Jones American Express Platinum offers complimentary priority delivery for eligible items purchased in store at David Jones.
- Flexible payment plans. Credit cards may also offer you different payment options for purchases you make with the linked brand. Currently, David Jones offer this type of benefit, with some options including:
- Up to 1 year interest-free with no deposit when you spend at least $500 on your card in one transaction across all departments, in-store or online, at David Jones.
- Up to 5 years interest-free with no deposit when you spend $1,000 or more on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- 3 Months Pay Later for up to 3 months when you spend $50 or more on your card across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- Other benefits. Depending on the store card you choose, you could also enjoy perks such as complimentary travel insurance, purchase insurance and airport lounge access.
Can I use my store card for other spending?
Most store cards in Australia are Visa, Mastercard or American Express options that can be used for spending anywhere these cards are accepted. However, there are some store cards that you can only use with the associated store.
Compare these store cards trending now
Check out the rewards, benefits and annual fees available on these popular store credit cards:
|Card||Earn rate||Other benefits||Annual fee|
|David Jones American Express Platinum Card||4 points per $1 spent at David Jones|
3 points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations
1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
|David Jones American Express Platinum Card - Qantas Frequent Flyer||2 points per $1 spent at David Jones|
1.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations
|Myer Credit Card||3 MYER one shopping credits per $1 spent on eligible purchases at Myer|
Up to 3 MYER one shopping credits per $1 on eligible purchases with MYER one affiliates
1 MYER one shopping credit per $1 spent on eligible purchases everywhere else
|$0 annual fee for the first year ($69 p.a. thereafter)|
|Coles Rewards Mastercard||2 Flybuys points per $1 spent on eligible purchases||$99|
|Woolworths Qantas Platinum Credit Card||1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases, uncapped|
0.5 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services
|$99 annual fee for the first year ($169 p.a. thereafter)|
How to compare store credit cards
As well as comparing the benefits of a store card, make sure you consider the following features so you can find one that suits your needs:
- Acceptance. Make sure the card is an American Express, Mastercard or Visa option if you want to be able to use it outside the associated store.
- Annual fee. Most store credit cards in Australia have an annual fee, which could be as low as $69 or as high as $295 depending on the card.
- Interest rates. Store credit card interest rates typically range from 19.99% p.a. to 20.74% p.a. (variable) for purchases but could be higher for cash advances.
- Payment plan rates and fees. If your store card offers long-term payment plans for in-store purchases, make sure you check for establishment and maintenance fees. For example, the interest-free instalment payment options available with a David Jones card may attract an establishment fee and a monthly account-keeping fee. There are also interest rates that may apply if you don’t pay the balance off by the end of the payment plan period.
- Balance transfer. If you have existing card debt you’d like to transfer to a new store credit card, you may be able to get a promotional 0% interest rate if you request the transfer at the time of your application. Just remember to check the standard rate that will apply to the debt if you don’t pay it off during the introductory period.
Other credit cards with in-store benefits
While not technically store cards, some credit cards offer interest-free payment plans with a selection of store partners. This includes all HSBC credit cards, as well as the Latitude GO Mastercard and Gem Visa. You can also get interest-free payment plans for purchases made a wide range of stores with an HSBC credit card.
What to avoid with a retail credit card
- Spending just to earn points. Justifying an unnecessary purchase on the basis that you have earned some points is poor thinking. Not only could you end up with a purchase of little value, but you may take your balance into an area that you cannot pay off in full.
- Losing track of your spending. If you have any doubts about your ability to manage a larger credit card bill, or to balance any sudden large shift from cash to plastic, then putting your everyday bills onto your retail rewards credit card would be unwise. Your balance needs to be paid off in full each month for your points to be of some benefit. If you end up paying interest, you have lost the game.
- Making cash transactions. These include cash withdrawals from ATMs, cashback at a cash register, traveler's cheques and foreign currency, and gambling transactions. These will not earn you points, but they will earn your a higher rate of interest from the moment they are made, as well as a cash advance fee.
Store credit cards can help you get more benefits when you regularly shop with a particular brand or store. Just remember to look at all the features and fees of the card, then compare a range of options so that you can find one that suits your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to know more about store cards, here you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions about them. If you have another question, you can also get in touch with us using the comment box below.
Do store cards count as credit cards?
Most store cards in Australia are credit cards with American Express, Mastercard or Visa functionality. This means you can use them anywhere regular credit cards are accepted. It also means that details of the store card will be added to your credit history.
Can I use a retail branded credit card anywhere?
Yes, as long as the card has a Visa, Mastercard or American Express logo, you can use it anywhere these cards are accepted. Note that you may earn reward points at a different rate when you make a purchase at a retailer that has no affiliation with the retail brand. Check the terms and conditions for specific information about transactions that are eligible and ineligible to earn points.
How do I get an interest-free period on a store card?
Some store credit cards have an extended interest-free promotion on purchases. Usually you’ll need to present your store card and/or spend a specific amount on eligible purchases to use one of these 0% interest offers. Note that fees may also apply.
Most store cards also offer up to a certain number of interest-free days on purchases for each statement period. Just be sure to pay your account in full each month and you won’t get charged any interest on the purchases you make during the next statement period.
Can I transfer my credit card balance to a store credit card?
If the card you're after has an active balance transfer promotion, you can transfer your credit card debt to a store credit card. Generally, you elect to transfer a balance from another credit card at the point of application for the new product.
However, you won't be able to transfer your credit card balance to a store card that is designed only for spending at a particular store.
Can I balance transfer a store card debt to a credit card?
Yes, most balance transfer credit cards will accept debts from store cards, as well as other credit cards that are not issued by the same financial institution. You’ll just need to include details of your store card account and debt when you apply for the balance transfer.
What store cards work with Apple Pay?
American Express David Jones credit cards offer Apple Pay functionality. If you're interested in getting a credit card that works with Apple Pay, check out this guide to compare other options.
Can I get a store card for Amazon Australia?
At this stage, Amazon does not offer a store card in Australia. Alternatively, you could consider buying an Amazon gift card that you can use to pay for purchases made through the online store. Note that this option means you'll be spending your own money in gift card form, as opposed to using a credit card.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 70% off Full Body Luxury Massage Chairs, 40% off HelloFresh boxes, 75% off wine at Vinomofo.
Coles No Annual Fee Mastercard – Exclusive Offer
Enjoy 10,000 bonus points and 12 months interest-free on balance transfers and purchases. Plus, an ongoing $0 annual fee.
Best wine clubs and subscription services in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to find the best wine clubs and subscription services for Australian wine drinkers.
Coles rivals Aldi with budget homewares line: Which stores will have it?
The supermarket will release the Marketlane Homewares range at 200 stores nationwide this Friday.
Finder’s RBA Cash Rate Survey: 60% of experts blame BNPL for drop in credit cards
Credit cards are being used less and experts say Buy Now Pay Later services such as Afterpay and Zip are to blame, according to new research from Finder. In this month's Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey™, 39 experts and economists weighed in on future cash rate moves and other issues related to the state of the Australian economy.
Xbox Series S: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X. Here's a list of stores where you can buy the console for the best price.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
How to buy Roblox (RBLX) shares from Australia
Steps to owning and managing Roblox shares.
7-Eleven Fuel Pass
Save on fuel at 7-Eleven with this fuel card you can use across the WEX Motorpass network.
Ask an Expert