St.George Sense is a convenient transaction account that is paired with their Sense savings account. You can benefit from no monthly fees, unlimited access to your money with a bonus interest rate applied to your savings every month you reach the deposit requirement.
You get one, customised statement that is linked to both your transaction and savings account.
What are the features of the St.George Sense?
The St.George Sense gives you plenty of features and benefits to think about when you are comparing it to other banks and their linked transaction and savings accounts:
- Interest earned. With the linked Sense savings account, you will be earning a 1.25% per annum (p.a.) interest rate on your savings balance.
- Account service fees. By making a deposit of at least $2,000 into the Sense transaction account by the last business day of each month, you will have any account maintenance fees waived. If you are unable to make this commitment for one month, your account will be charged a $5 fee. This is determined monthly, so if you miss out in January you can still qualify for no fees in February.
- Visa debit card. The Sense everyday account is linked to a Visa debit card. This gives you the option of paying for purchases with funds that are debited straight from your account. This card can be used wherever debit payments or Visa credit is generally accepted, without you incurring any interest charges.
- Transaction account charges and fees. With the Sense transaction account the following banking methods are all free of any charge: Internet banking, phone banking, Visa debit card purchases whether in person, online or over the phone, withdrawals of cash at ATMs owned by St.George, BankSA, Westpac Bank and the Bank of Melbourne (note that if you use ATMs outside of this network, other charges may be applied from the issuing bank), EFTPOS, electronic agency, branch transactions, Bank@Post, direct debit of monthly expenses such as a home loan repayment and collection items.
- Overseas withdrawals. If you make a withdrawal at an ATM outside of Australia, your account will be charged $5. There may also be other charges to your account that are applied by the issuing bank.
- Converting currency. If you make a withdrawal or purchase where St.George is required to convert funds back to the Australian dollar, your account will be charged 3% of the Australian dollar amount of the transaction.
- Track your spending. Your statement will be divided into ten pre-determined categories, such as loans and transportation, that allows you to see where and how you are spending your money.
- Rounding up. Every time you use your Visa debit card, Freedom card or BPAY to make a purchase from your transaction account, the amount will be rounded up to the nearest dollar and the balance transferred to your Sense savings account.
- Competitive ongoing interest rate
- Ability to nominate a rounding amount to grow savings
- No account keeping fees if monthly amount deposited
- Minimum deposits to get fee free banking
- No Bonus interest rate
- Monthly statement fee
How do you apply for the St.George Sense?
If the idea of having your transactions and savings automatically working together seems right for your needs, you can click ‘go to site’ and be taken to the secure application page.
You will want to check that you meet the eligibility requirements before you begin:
- How old you are. You must be at least 14 years of age in order to be considered for Sense from St.George.
- What is your residency status. Australian residents or citizens with a residential address in Australia are eligible for this account combination.
- How much can you deposit. In order for St.George to open a Sense account for you, you will need to make an initial deposit of $1.
If you are able to meet those requirements then you can now continue to the application. In order to ensure your information is accurate, it will be helpful to have the following documentation close by:
- Identification documents. You will need to provide St.George with valid proof of identity, usually by using a passport or driver’s licence. If you are new to the bank you might need to visit a branch to complete the 100 points of identification in person.
- Account information. Have the numbers for any other St.George products readily available. Keep in mind that only a Sense transaction account is accepted with this combined account.
- Personal information. Your personal details including name, date of birth and Australian address have to be provided.
It should take no more than five minutes to complete and submit your online application. Once received by St.George, it can take up to two business days to process before you are issued account details and your Visa debit card.
Would scheduled automatic payments such as rent (not direct debit) be classed as periodical payments?
Unfortunately it’s a periodical payment – On the St.George website it states that, “the Periodical payment fee is payable for a transfer of funds that we make on a regular basis at your request from your Account to another specific account. The fee is charged at the time the transaction occurs.”
I registered online and have no received my sms to activate my account.
You’ll need to speak to St.George directly, they’ll be able to help you solve this.
I was wondering if there was an option to receive a digital statement rather than a hard copy? Hopefully waiving the $2.00 a month fee.
This can be done by contacting St.George directly or there may be an option in your account settings online.
Is SENSE account just for students? As just before i applied i notice in the section of information about what to expect, “To confirm your eligibility for this account, you will be required to show your Student ID card or Apprentice letter, at your nearest St.George Branch, within 3 months of opening your account online.” this wasn’t written any where else in the information including the who’s eligible section.
This account is suitable for non-students as well, if you’re prompted to put a student ID, please leave it blank.