Best discounts on Steam: Huge Black Friday 2019 sales
SimCity 2000, Dishonored 2 and more prices slashed by up to 75%.
Steam routinely drops its prices so low we all end up buying PC games we already own or never intend to play, just because it seems like good value. Black Friday 2019 is no exception.
We've scoured the deals deluge for the must-grab bargains this year. Here are the absolute best:
- Dishonored 2, a lovingly crafted sandbox of stealth and stabbing, is a ludicrous 75% off at only $14.98. If you're an old-school fan of games like Thief and System Shock, you'd do well to experience this modern spin on the genre.
- Resident Evil 2, a meticulous updating of the 1998 survival horror classic, is a genuine Game of the Year contender. With a new engine, updated controls and tweaked puzzle and level design, even fans familiar with the original will end up terrified when a certain remorseless monstrosity arrives. At $29.68 it's a hefty 67% off.
- If you're afflicted with a mayor complex or want to try your hand at urban planning, Cities: Skylines is the best city building simulation since SimCity 2000. At 75% off, it's a steal at $10.73.
- But if your ambitions don't end at the city limits and you want to conquer the known world, you can't do better than Sid Meier's Civilization VI. At $22.48 (75% off), it's so cheap it's almost like it's been pilfered from its rightful owners by a colonising empire.
- In 2016 Bethesda and id Software rebooted Doom, the genre-defining, hellspawn-splattering shooter that changed gaming forever. Though the multiplayer was ever-so-slightly underwhelming, the campaign is a gory, intense thrill-ride. It's 70% off at $10.48.
- The Witcher 3, without any doubt, is the greatest RPG ever made. With a looming Netflix series, it's only a matter of time before the masses discover Geralt of Rivia's monster-slaying charms. You can grab the Game of the Year Edition, which includes two massive DLC expansions, both of which are excellent, for just $23.69, which is 70% off.
- The Force is strong in this bundle. If you want to grab basically every old-school Star Wars game, Steam has bundled them into the Star Wars Complete Collection. Among the 26 included titles there's some bona fide classics: Knights of the Old Republic, Dark Forces, Republic Commandos, The Force Unleashed, X-Wing, Rogue Squadron, TIE Fighter and Empire at War. This Death Star-sized package is 72% off at $119.32.
- This year's Far Cry New Dawn is a more contained experience than most in the series, but it's also more focused. You can explore this absurd colourful post-apocalypse for just $27.18 (60% off).
- Metroidvania fans have a responsibility to explore (and then backtrack with new abilities) the world of Ori and the Blind Forest, one of the genre's best. With beautiful Disney-esque animation and meticulous, tight platforming, it's a no-brainer. The Definitive Edition is $7.23 and 75% off.
- Good news for sado-masochists: the entire Dark Souls series is massively discounted. Check out the hub here, but for our money the pick of the bunch is Dark Souls III: Deluxe Edition for $29.98 at 75% off, which includes the two expansions: Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City.