Statement of Advice
An important document to understand when receiving financial advice
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
What is a Statement of Advice?
In a nutshell, a Statement of Advice is a document that clearly outlines the recommendations that have been made by the industry expert and also explains why these recommendations have been made. The Statement of Advice must be provided in accordance with the Financial Services Reform Act (2002).
It should not only provide details of what has been recommended, but also details of how the recommendations were made and the intended to benefit you.
Details to check for
The adviser or company must provide you with a Statement of Advice in order to be compliant with regulations and in order to ensure that you are dealing with an adviser or company that is compliant there are a number of things you should look for with the Statement of Advice that you are given. This includes:
- Checking the document is official: Your document should have the words Statement of Advice at the beginning, so make sure you check this in order to ensure you have an official SOA
- Looking for justification of recommendations: You should make sure that the Statement of Advice you receive provides clear details on why the adviser or company has recommended a specific product or policy
- Ensuring there are details of product/service recommended: Your Statement of Advice should contain the details of the insurance company that has been recommended to you by the adviser along with details of the premiums that are payable on the policy
- Checking on commission disclosure: The SOA should provide details of any commission that will be received by the adviser or company in the event that you take the advice and decide to go with the service/plan recommended
- Ensuring there is an official licence number: You need to ensure that the Statement of Advice states the Australian Financial Services Licence number of the adviser
You will also find a range of information in a properly drawn up Statement of Advice. Ensure the following details are included:
- The name, address and contact details of the adviser or the company that has offered the advice
- Details about the advice that has been given
- The date that the advice was given
- The type of product that the advice relates to
- The name of the insurer
- Details of your own instructions to the adviser
Why is a Statement of Advice required?
The Statement of Advice that you receive after getting official advice on insurance is important for a number of reasons. First off, it provides full and important details of the services and products that have been recommended, so you have a written summary of everything that has been discussed, as well as the reasons for recommendations, commission information and other important details. Also, a proper SOA with the licence number included helps to ensure that you are dealing with a compliant firm.
If you request personal advice on insurance only, you may receive an SOA only for limited advice (i.e. for your insurance). It is important to carefully read the Statement of Advice to ensure you fully understand how the adviser is remunerated and whether they have any relationships or associations that may influence their advice. The SOA will also outline any potential conflicts of interests in the provision of insurance recommendations.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or four-wheel driving, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Steam mop Finder: The ins and outs of buying a steam mop for you home
Steam mops are an effective way to clean your floors and other parts of your home. Find out how to compare models and choose the right one for you.
Best long life milk brands in Australia
Find out which long life milk brands Australian consumers love the most and why.
Best cheese brands in Australia
Find out which cheese brand offers the best taste, the best texture and the best value for money.
How much does a colonoscopy cost?
Find out how much a colonoscopy costs in Australia and how you can avoid paying heaps.
How much do dentures cost in Australia?
Find out how much dentures cost in Australia and how you can get cover with mid-level health insurance.
Ask an Expert