Stan is streaming every episode of Seinfeld in Australia
All 180 episodes will be offered in remastered HD.
Get OUT! Stan has pulled off a comedy pcoup, scoring Australian streaming rights to every episode of Seinfeld.
The classic "show about nothing" will debut on Stan on November 11, with all 180 episodes of the original series presented in remastered HD. We predict binge watching and a sudden increase in references to the Soup Nazi, pretzels, Newman, Mr Peterman and Vandelay Industries. (Maybe they can rename it Standelay Industries for the marketing campaign.)
It's a nicely timed move, with star and creator Jerry Seinfeld having just announced a tour of Australia and New Zealand next August.
In the US, streaming rights for the show have gone to Hulu, so this isn't one of those cases where Netflix US has the edge on Netflix Australia. Reportedly, Netflix wasn't prepared to pay what Sony wanted for rights to the series.
Stan already has the rights to Friends, so classic 90s comedy is looking pretty healthy on the platform. Sorry Presto, no soup for you! (That said, Foxtel Now does have the rights for Curb Your Enthusiasm, the HBO show from Seinfeld co-creator Larry David, which features a Seinfeld reunion as part of Season 7.)
Stan also announced that is has acquired the rights to new AMC series Preacher and Underground. The whole of Season 1 of Preacher will be added in December, and new episodes from Season 2 will appear immediately after their US broadcast in 2017. It has a similar arrangement for season four of Masters of Sex and for Underground.
- Where to watch the Charmed reboot in Australia
- This week in streaming: Arrival tackles xenolinguistics and Sabrina bewitches her way to Netflix
- Stan is giving eBay Plus subscribers 3 months free access to its movie and TV library
- This week in streaming: Netflix brings back Wilson Fisk and Supergirl swoops back onto Foxtel
- Gem Finder: Starring Jim Carrey, Kidding is both heartbreaking and hilarious