🎂 Turned 31 this year? Get health insurance before your price rises.
Get cover
Stamp duty calculator

What is stamp duty? Free calculator and exemptions guide

When purchasing a house you will most likely have to pay a tax called stamp duty. Find out more about this tax and if exemptions apply to you.

Stamp duty is payable on nearly all home purchases. It is a tax on the sale of property and shares and covers the costs of changing the title of the property and ownership details. By knowing how much you will have to pay in stamp duty, you can better plan for the expenditure of finalising the purchase of your home.

The amount of stamp duty you pay is determined by the state or territory that you live in, the amount you pay for the home and the type of property that you are buying. Depending on your personal circumstances you may qualify for an exemption on stamp duty.

Use the calculator below to determine your stamp duty costs.

Compare home loans in the table below.

Rates last updated June 19th, 2018
Loan purpose
Offset account
Loan type
Your filter criteria do not match any product
Name Product Interest Rate (p.a.) Comp Rate^ (p.a.) Application Fee Ongoing Fees Max LVR Monthly Payment Short Description
$0 p.a.
Get $1,000 cash into a USaver account when you apply for a loan of $200,000 or more (new or refinance). Terms and conditions apply. Enjoy flexible repayments, a redraw facility and the ability to split your loan. Plus, pay no application or ongoing fees.
$0 p.a.
Pay no ongoing fees and enjoy a flexible repayment schedule, including the ability to make unlimited additional repayments without penalty.
$0 p.a.
Pay no application or ongoing fees and get a flexible loan with the ability to split up to 6 times.
$395 p.a.
Save on interest with a 100% offset account and save on other ME products with this package loan.
$395 p.a.
Loans over $150k get a discount off an already low fixed rate. Available for NSW, Qld and ACT residents only.
$0 p.a.
Go from application to approval in as little as 20 minutes with a variable rate loan from this innovative online lender. Add a 100% offset account for $10 a month.
$0 p.a.
Package your loan and get an interest rate discount, a 100% offset account and help from an HSBC relationship manager.
$0 p.a.
This basic loan offers discounts for higher borrowing amounts and carries no ongoing fees.
$0 p.a.
A mortgage with a competitive variable rate, limited fees and plenty of flexibility.
$0 p.a.
Pay no application and ongoing fees with Macquarie Bank Basic Home Loan.
$0 p.a.
A basic variable home loan that offers a competitive interest rate with no application fees and no ongoing fees.
$0 p.a.
Save on interest by taking advantage of a 100% offset account along with no ongoing fees or application fees.
$0 p.a.
Eligible borrowers can get $900 cashback on this loan with a 100% offset account and a redraw facility.
$0 p.a.
This special rate mortgage has no ongoing fees and offers flexible repayments. Save $595 in establishment fees before 30 June.
$10 monthly ($120 p.a.)
Get a 100% offset account to save on interest charges, and pay no application fee.

Compare up to 4 providers

How much stamp duty will I have to pay?

The amount of government stamp duty that you will have to pay depends on a number of factors. These are :

  • What state or territory you live in. Some states will charge more stamp duty than others, but most will be around the same amount.
  • The cost of the property. One of the major factors that will affect the amount of stamp duty that you pay will be the cost of the home that you bought. Generally, if you buy a home that is worth more than $500,000 you will have to pay a significant amount of stamp duty.
  • The type of home you buy. The amount of stamp duty that you will be charged will be different depending on the type of home you buy. A vacant property will have less stamp duty charged to it when compared to buying a home.

Use the finder.com.au calculator above to help you work out how much exactly you need to pay.

How is stamp duty calculated?

Each state and territory set the rates at which they charge stamp duty as well as how they are calculated:

  • NSW, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australian. Stamp duty is calculated based on the greater amount between the price paid for the property and the market or unencumbered value of the property. Example: if your property is judged to be worth $450,000 but you paid $475,000, your stamp duty is calculated based on the $475,000 purchase price.
  • ACT. In the ACT stamp duty is also based on the greater amount between the purchase price or the market value of the property. This is the total amount of the house and land when the land already has a property on it or when the buyer has purchased a house and land package where the property will be built on the land purchase before settlement. If you purchase land and then build on it at a separate time you will only be charged stamp duty on the land value or purchase price.
  • South Australia. Stamp duty is calculated based on either the value of the land including improvements or the price paid for the property including GST, whichever is greater.

How can I minimise my stamp duty costs?

Stamp duty is a big expense. But there are steps you can take to avoid paying stamp duty or at least significantly decrease the amount you pay.

  • Lower your costs. If you are building a house, think of reducing the costs by purchasing cheaper fixtures, for example. Lowering the cost of building your home by a few thousand dollars can save you thousands more in taxes.
  • Consider a cheaper property. Stamp duty is significantly greater in most states on properties worth more than $500,000, so consider purchasing a home below this value to save money.
  • Negotiate. Don't forget that in some states you will be charged on the market value of the property rather than the purchase price, so take this into consideration when negotiating. You might not necessarily be able to reduce the stamp duty you are being charged but you may be able to come to an agreement with the seller so that you can negotiate the price of the property down by at least the amount of stamp duty you need to pay.
  • Change states. If it's an option, you can also consider relocating to another state where stamp duty is significantly lower or, if you are a first time home buyer, where you are completely exempt from paying stamp duty.

Since stamp duty can be a significant cost, minimising how much you pay can help you in the long run. The money you save can be put towards paying off the loan, which will save you money on interest costs as well or it can be used to make renovations. You need to remember that it does pay to do your due diligence and see what other options are available to you to reduce the amount of stamp duty you have to pay.

Are there any exemptions from stamp duty?

Government stamp duty can be a very large cost, however there are some exemptions that you will be able to apply for, depending on what state you live in. These include :

  • The value of your house. If you pay less than the threshold amount for your state you may find that the amount of stamp duty that you pay will be quite low. This is because people who are buying homes that are not worth as much will get exemptions from the full amount.
  • First home owners. If you are a first home owner then you may find that you can get exemptions from stamp duty. In some states, first home buyers will not have to pay stamp duty at all, while in others stamp duty will always be payable. However, if you use the first home owner’s grant to pay the stamp duty then you will technically not pay any stamp duty.
  • Pensioners and health card holders. If you currently receive Government benefits, you may be eligible for a concession or exemption. Check your local Office of State Revenue to find out if any apply to you.

How can I find out if I'm exempt from paying stamp duty?

There are a number of fees associated with the purchase of a home or property in Australia, including stamp duty. This is a separate tax charged by the local Office of State Revenue where the property is located and is meant to cover the administration cost of transferring ownership and changing the title for the property.

Stamp duty tax is not a pre-set amount, but rather determined by the state or province you are purchasing in, the cost of the property and its type. There are certain circumstances that may allow an individual to be exempt or to receive discounts from this tax. As stamp tax can be a major cost, it’s important to do your research to see if you can receive any exemptions or concessions.

Click your state or territory below to find out about stamp duty exemptions.

It’s important that you consider the stamp duty tax when looking into making a home purchase, as it could end up saving a few thousand dollars off your upfront costs.

Find out the rates and any applicable exemptions and concessions for the location where you are planning to buy a home and make sure you can afford this extra charge before making a commitment to a mortgage.

How do I pay my stamp duty?

Paying stamp duty is not all that difficult, as long as you have the funds available. You will generally receive a notice through the mail to the address of the property you have purchased or a specified address if you chose a different mailing address. The letter will contain all the information regarding this tax, including the amount you need to pay.

In terms of when it needs to be paid, each state differs, but on average you will have about three months to make the payment in full. Note that you can't avoid paying it and if you are late, you will incur interest charges and other costs since you won't be able to complete the transaction.

Physically paying the tax is usually a matter of depositing the money in the account provided in the letter. You can do this via direct deposit, bank transfer, cheque or credit card. You don't need to worry, though, because all the payment options will be mentioned in the letter.

Can I capitalise stamp duty into my loan?

While lenders generally prefer that you pay stamp duty up front, most banks will allow stamp duty to be capitalised into the principal of the loan. You can increase your home loan to cover the cost of stamp duty and then the lender will release the funds when you need them.

However, if you are an investor, stamp duty is generally included in the cost of the property when calculating capital gains.

How do I budget for the stamp duty costs on my new home?

How do I budget for stamp duty costs

Budgeting for stamp duty costs when purchasing a new home requires a bit of research. First and foremost, you have to consider approximately how much you will be paying for the property and what state you are making the purchase in. This is because in some states, the market value of the property will supersede the purchase price if it is higher. Also consider whether you will be paying stamp duty on your loan or not, since this will mean that you have to pay it upfront.

The easiest way to get an idea of how much your stamp duty will cost you is to use a stamp duty calculator. While the figure won't be exact, it will still provide enough of a guideline for you to create a budget. On the other hand, if you want an exact figure, you can ask a professional to calculate the cost of this tax for you as he or she can take into consideration your personal circumstances.

Don't forget that in some states and some situations you might be exempt from paying stamp duty so make sure to do your research thoroughly.

Stamp duty in unique cases

Do I have to pay stamp duty on vacant land?

All transfers of land come with stamp duty costs, which you see by using the calculator above. The exception to this is through the various concessions and exemptions available from each state, particularly for first home buyers.

Do I have to pay stamp duty on off the plan property?

Yes, stamp duty is still payable on off the plan property, but keep in mind there are concessions and exemptions available in different states. This includes Victoria, which offers a concession, regardless of whether you intend to live in the property or not.

With the concession, you only pay stamp duty on the improved value of the land, non-deductible costs and the completed construction or refurbishment including GST.

Other states also offer first home buyer concessions and exemptions for new homes which can also apply to off the plan homes.

Do I have to pay stamp duty on a loan I am refinancing?

In most cases you will have to pay stamp duty again even if you are refinancing. However, there are situations in which you can avoid paying stamp duty. For example, if the names of the borrowers are the same and the amount of the loan is the same, there might be a chance you could avoid paying stamp duty. In some cases, you might also have to refinance with the same lender to avoid this cost.

Note that in some situations you may have to pay the fees but you can then apply for a refund from the lender. Thus, it pays to make sure you do your research before deciding to refinance because any savings you incur from a lower rate might be completely obliterated if you have to pay stamp duty again. In this case, refinancing may simply not be worth the hassle.

Divorce and stamp duty

Stamp duty isn’t payable if one of you is transferring the title to a home or land to another. However, you can only save on stamp duty if the transfer is done so you can obey a court order. The court must be able to know what assets are owned by each of the parties. This includes all of your assets like land, bank accounts and superannuation. It may be necessary to hire an expert to value an asset.

It’s important to know that parenting is seen as a very important contribution. If the marriage has been a long one, it is often seen as equal to financial contributions. Usually, the court gives the party whose financial future is not as good as the other some extra part of the property owned by the parties.

First home buyer? Learn how to find the right home loan here

Top tips for home loan stamp duty

Here are a few tips to take into consideration to ensure the settlement process goes smoothly for both parties and unnecessary delays are avoided, which also means saving money in the long run.

Frequently asked questions

Marc Terrano

Marc Terrano is a content marketer manager at finder. He's been writing and publishing personal finance content for over five years and loves to help Australians get a better deal.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Home Loan Offers

Important Information*
loans.com.au Essentials - Variable (Owner Occupier, P&I)

A competitive interest rate home loan with interest only options. Interest rate 3.64%p.a.
comp rate of 3.66%p.a.

UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate - Discount Offer for Owner Occupied Variable P&I Rate — borrowing $700,000 or more

Pay no application or ongoing fees and get access to a redraw facility and flexible repayment schedule. Get $1,000 cash into a USaver account when you apply for a loan of $200,000 or more. Terms and conditions apply.

Greater Bank Ultimate Home Loan - Discounted 1 Year Fixed LVR ≤90% ($150K+ Owner Occupier)

Loans over $150k get a discount off an already low fixed rate. Available for NSW, Qld and ACT residents only.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

317 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    SimonJune 16, 2018

    Hi guys

    Me and my dad are living in a PPR and he wants to sign the property into my name . We have both lived in the same property since 1991.

    I’m just wondering will stamp duty be involved? Or could I avoid it seeing it’s a PPR not an investment.

    Thank you

    • Staff
      JeniJune 17, 2018Staff

      Hi Simon,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      Your ‘main residence’ (your home) is generally exempt from capital gains tax (CGT). However, stamp duty is imposed by state and territory governments. It can vary depending on the state or territory, and may be called stamp duty, transfer duty or general duty so you better seek professional advice to your local state revenue office regarding this.

      I hope this helps.

      Have a great day!


  2. Default Gravatar
    AdamApril 16, 2018

    I want to transfer the title of our property into the name of my long term partner. Will there be a stamp duty charge? Is capital gains tax payable?

    • Staff
      MayApril 16, 2018Staff

      Hi Adam,

      Thanks for your question.

      There are cases that you need not to pay stamp duty if you will be adding a long term partner into the property. You would need to fill out an exemption form that can be obtained from your state office of revenue. You can get information on adding a partner to the property on this page.

      As for the CGT, generally, even if you are gifting property, CGT is applicable. Although if you are transferring or gifting a property which is your main place of residence to your family or someone else, you may be exempted from paying CGT. You may have to check your local revenue office to confirm if you qualify. As a general guide, you may want to read our article about “Can you avoid fees and charges when transferring property within the family?

      Hope this helps.


  3. Default Gravatar
    MaroOctober 22, 2017

    Do I have to pay stamp duty for a house that I share with my brother, if my brother owes 35% and I owe 65% of the house and he is transferring his part to me?

    • Staff
      JoanneOctober 23, 2017Staff

      Hi Maro,

      Thanks for your question.

      Typically, while stamp duty is often associated to sale of a property, it may also apply when there is a transfer of ownership from one person to another even if there is no monetary consideration involved.

      As to how much you would pay, it depends on the type of property as well as your status. Stamp duty rates vary across the country and would change every now and then. Usually, these are based on a sliding scale, with percentages increasing according to the value of the property. I’d encourage you to speak with a professional such as tax accountant to ensure whether or not you have to pay stamp duty and exactly how much you will need to pay. Checking with your local government is also best.


  4. Default Gravatar
    HienOctober 17, 2017

    Three brothers bought a house in 1985, so our names are in the property title. Over the years, two of the brothers moved out and left the remaining brother lives in that property and take over the financial aspect of the property. Now we (other 2 brothers) would like to transfer the full ownership to the real owner and no money involved. Would we have to pay for stamp duty?
    Many thanks in advance

    • Staff
      DanielleOctober 17, 2017Staff

      Hi Hien,

      Thank you for contacting finder. We are a comparison website and general information service, we’re more than happy to offer general advice.

      Stamp duty tax is not a pre-set amount, but rather determined by the state or province you are purchasing in, the cost of the property and its type. There are certain circumstances that may allow an individual to be exempt or to receive discounts from this tax. As stamp tax can be a major cost, it’s important to do your research to see if you can receive any exemptions or concessions. You may scroll up to check your state’s exemption rules.

      I hope this helps.


  5. Default Gravatar
    susanAugust 3, 2017

    Hi there,

    I found out recently that the investment property in QLD that my husband and I own is set up as tenants in common with a 60/40 split. 60 to my husband, 40 to me. It is still under mortgage. We wish to set the property up as joint tenants (for the sake of our will) and have been informed that we first have to transfer the 10% to me before we can change to joint tenants and that transfer will incur CGT. Is this correct. Is there a way around this? Can he gift it to me?

    • Staff
      LiezlAugust 5, 2017Staff

      Hi Susan,

      Thanks for your question.

      Transferring a share of a property you own in Queensland to your spouse is a dutiable transaction unless all the following apply:
      -the transfer is by way of gift (regardless of whether your spouse becomes a borrower on an existing mortgage)
      -the transfer is from you to your spouse
      -after the transfer, you and your spouse will own the home as joint tenants or tenants in common in equal shares
      -the home will be your principal residence.

      Hence, unless the property will become your principal residence, the transfer of investment properties will incur transfer duty. You may refer to this page for more information. Better still, seek legal advise on this matter.


  6. Default Gravatar
    July 19, 2017

    Hi ,
    We bought a property in ACT in Late December 2016. They say stamp duty paid is immediately deductible during the first year for properties in ACT (due to all properties in ACT being leasehold not freehold)

    After buying the home we immediately moved in and started renting part of the house. We have been renting for 6 months (until 30 June 2017)
    If the area of the house I rented is 25%
    Can I
    A. claim a full deduction of Stamp Duty at 30 June 2017
    B. Claim a deduction for 25% of the stamp duty paid
    C. Claim a deduction for 25% of the stamp duty X 50% (for only renting for half of the year)?

    Appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this

    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanAugust 1, 2017

      Hello Chin,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      It is unclear as to why would you rent a part of your own home, unless you mean renting it out? Please be advised that as per ATO’s Rental Property Guide 2013 page 7 “If you use your property for both private and assessable income-producing purposes, you cannot claim a deduction for the portion of any expenditure that relates to your private use. Examples of properties you may use for both private and income-producing purposes are holiday homes and time-share units. In cases such as these you cannot claim a deduction for any expenditure incurred for those periods when the home or unit was used by you, your relatives or your friends for private purposes.”

      If you use your property for both private and income-producing purposes, you can only claim a deduction for the portion of any expenditure that relates to the income-producing use. Generally, apportion your expenses on a floor-area basis – that is, based on the area solely occupied by the tenant, together with a reasonable figure for their access to the general living areas, including garage and outdoor areas if applicable. Using your example above and assuming this was meant to be renting out, Answer C is applicable for you.

      You may refer this matter to ATO or to a tax accountant for further review.

      Hope this helps.


  7. Default Gravatar
    DianaJuly 12, 2017

    Hi, I bought a property before I got married. If my husband buys a property under his name only under $650,000, does he still need to pay stamp duty as first home buyer in NSW?

    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanJuly 27, 2017

      Hello Diana,

      Thank you for your inquiry today.

      Exemptions on transfer duty are applicable on new and existing homes valued up to $650,000 and vacant block of residential land valued up to $350,000.

      Please make sure you review the eligibility requirements for this grant and you can use this calculator to have an estimate.

      Hope this helps.


  8. Default Gravatar
    July 11, 2017

    I’m intending on purchasing an active farming enterprise in Victoria valued at $1.2 million. The sale is “walk in walk out” & includes land of 100 acres, 5 acre vineyard, residence, sheds, cattle yards, livestock & plant & equipment. The farm equipment, wine making equipment, motor vehicles & livestock are valued at around $50,000 (from the depreciation schedule). I appreciate that I will need to pay stamp duty on the land, residence, buildings, vineyard & fittings but are the livestock & plant & equipment subject to stamp duty ? Can I separate these items out from the land purchase & purchase them separately. If so I assume that they would be subject to gst.

    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanJuly 26, 2017

      Hello Michael,

      Thank you for your inquiry today.

      For a conveyance of Qualifying Land for consideration together with a conveyance of other property cannot be stamped such as:
       Chattels;
       Livestock;
       Plant & equipment;
       Stock;
       Water licence;
       Goodwill or
       Intellectual property

      If the farmer sells livestock and plant and equipment all separately, they are subject to GST if the seller is registered

      You can discuss this with a tax expert for further assistance or to your local tax office.

      Hope this helps.


  9. Default Gravatar
    KellyJuly 3, 2017

    Hi. If I buy an investment property before my first home, will I still be eligible for first home concessions after?

    • Staff
      LiezlJuly 3, 2017Staff

      Hi Kelly,

      Thanks for your question.

      This will depend on the location where you are planning to buy a property as applicable exemptions and concessions vary between states and territories. If you intend to purchase a property in Queensland, you won’t be eligible for first home concession. Queensland government requires that in order to claim first home concession, you should have never held an interest in residential land anywhere in the world.

      You may also refer to our guide here on FHOG eligibility after acquiring an investment property.

      I hope this has helped.


  10. Default Gravatar
    LisaJune 29, 2017

    If i am being bought out of a business (business is set up as 2 trusts and it a family trust) will i need to pay stamp duty when exiting? The person buying me out is already part ownership with me and is just buying my half?

    • Staff
      MayJune 30, 2017Staff

      Hi Lisa,

      Thanks for getting in touch with finder.com.au. Please note that we are a leading financial comparison site and general information service and we’re more than delighted to offer general advice to answer your question

      Generally, when selling, closing or changing a business, the tax implication will vary. The tax that you may be charged is GST or capital gains tax on some of the business assets you sell, like land, buildings and intangible assets like patents, licences or goodwill. So you’d be best to check your state or territory government if they have any special requirements and work with your tax adviser/accountant to address the taxation issues of an exit strategy to minimise risks.


Ask a question
Go to site