Get unlimited overseas medical and cancellation cover with the STA Essentials policy.
STA Travel offers a range of flights, accommodation and holiday packages to suit student travellers and those on a budget. In addition, it also offers a suite of travel insurance policies, underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, which offer different levels of protection to suit a variety of travellers. STA Essentials Travel Insurance is a mid-level policy that offers a wide range of benefits for overseas medical expenses, amendment and cancellation costs, lost or stolen luggage, travel delay and more. However, its benefit limits are lower than those on a STA Comprehensive Travel Insurance policy in order to keep premiums down.
What does the Essentials policy cover?
|Essentials / Multi Trip|
|Travel Services Provider Insolvency||$10,000|
|Overseas Medical & Dental||UNLIMITED|
|Amendment or Cancellation Costs||UNLIMITED|
|Luggage and Travel Documents||$6,000|
|Delayed Luggage Allowance||$750|
|Resumption of Trip||$3,000|
|Loss of Income||$6,000|
|Medical and Dental Expenses in Australia||-|
|Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess||optional|
It’s always important to check the list of general exclusions on a travel insurance policy to make sure you’re fully aware of when your cover will and will not apply. STA Essential Travel Insurance will not provide cover if:
- Your claim is for costs incurred before or after your period of insurance.
- Your claim is for consequential loss of any kind.
- Your claim arises because of an unlawful act committed by you, or if you are not completely honest with any information you supply relation to your claim.
- You fail to take reasonable care or measures to protect yourself and your property and prevent a loss.
- Your claim arises because a government authority withholds, confiscates, detains or destroys anything.
- Your claim arises because of a government prohibition or regulation.
- Your claim arises due to an act of war.
- Your claim relates to a pre-existing medical condition of yourself or your travelling companion. However, some pre-existing conditions are automatically covered by the insurer – check the PDS for full details.
- Your claim arises because you are travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner.
- You are awaiting test results or diagnosis of symptoms or an illness.
- Your claim relates to pregnancy, childbirth or related complications, unless it is a single and uncomplicated pregnancy up to and including 23 weeks.
- Your claim is connected with your depression, dementia, anxiety, stress, or mental or nervous condition.
- Your claim arises because of your suicide or attempted suicide.
- Your claim is in any way connected with your sexually transmitted disease.
- Your claim arises because you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs (except for drugs prescribed by your medical practitioner and taken as instructed).
- Your claim arises due to complications following elective surgery.
- Your claim arises because of your involvement in professional sport or racing of any kind.
- Your claim arises because you ride a motorcycle, moped or scooter without holding a licence valid in the country you are in or without wearing a helmet.
- Your claim arises because you or your travelling companion participate in BASE jumping, rodeo riding, hang gliding, mountaineering or rock climbing.
- Vary your excess. If you take out cover for an international trip you have the option to choose the excess that applies to your policy. You can choose between nil, $100 and $250, and you’ll have to pay less for premiums if you choose a higher excess.
- Increased luggage item limits. You can increase the insured limit for high-value items by up to $4,500. For multiple items, the total increase must not exceed $7,000.
- Rental vehicle insurance excess cover. This optional cover provides $5,000 of protection when your rental vehicle is stolen or damaged and you need to pay the rental company’s insurance excess.
Making a claim on your STA Essentials Travel Insurance policy is easy. Simply visit travelclaims.com.au and login by entering your policy number, surname and date of birth. You can then download and complete a claim form which can be mailed, posted or faxed to Allianz Travel Insurance. You’ll also need to include any other information or relevant documents to support your claim. This may include receipts, evaluations, proof of ownership, medical reports, police reports and more. It is your responsibility to provide these items to the insurer as quickly as possible in order to ensure the acceptance of your claim. Once your claim form and all other information has been received, Allianz will process your claim within 10 business days.
What should I do if I need emergency assistance while I’m overseas?
You can phone Allianz Global Assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week from anywhere in the world. The number is 1800 010 075 (within Australia), +61 7 3305 7499 (when you reverse the charges from overseas), or the telephone number listed inside your emergency assistance card for the country you are travelling in when you require assistance.
Can I choose an excess?
Yes, STA Essentials Travel Insurance is available with the choice of three policy excesses: nil, $100 and $250.
Does STA provide cover for pre-existing conditions?
Yes, a range of conditions are automatically covered without the requirement for you to pay any additional premium, including carpal tunnel syndrome, hypothyroidism, rhinitis, cataracts, Coeliac Disease and many more. See the PDS for a full list. However, there are many pre-existing conditions which will not be automatically covered and you will need to contact your STA Travel Adviser if you wish to obtain cover.
What is the cooling-off period that applies to this policy?
Once you have been issued with your PDS and certificate of insurance you have 15 business days within which you can cancel your cover. You’ll receive a full refund of your premium as long as you have not started your trip, made a claim or exercised any other right under your policy.
My flight home has been delayed by the airline – can I extend my cover? Yes, you can extend your cover for free if this occurs.
What currency will my claim be paid in?
All STA Travel Insurance claims are paid in Australian Dollars.
I’m planning to take several trips in the next year – how can I save money on travel insurance? You can take out an annual multitrip policy which offers the same cover as an ordinary policy but it covers all the trips you take across a 12-month period. Taking out this type of cover can be a much more cost-effective solution than obtaining separate policies for each trip you take.
Does STA offer cover for rental vehicle insurance excess?
This benefit is not included as standard in STA Essentials Travel Insurance but it is available as an option that can be added to your policy for an extra premium.
Can I take this policy out for trips within Australia?
Yes, the STA Essentials policy is also available for domestic trips.
How much cover does this policy provide for my overseas medical expenses?
STA provides unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses with this policy, including cover for the cost of emergency ambulance transport and repatriation to Australia.
What if I want cheaper cover that only covers a few key risks?
You may wish to consider the benefits offered by STA Basic Travel Insurance.
What about if I want the highest level of cover that STA can offer?
If you want the broadest range of cover available from STA and the highest benefit limits, STA Comprehensive Travel Insurance is the policy you should consider.
STA Essentials Travel Insurance offers a competitive range of benefits to suit travellers who want a high level of cover but that also want more affordable premiums. Before you decide whether or not this is the right travel insurance policy for you, make sure to compare it with a selection of other policies on the market to get the right cover for you and your family.