Looking for affordable cover that still offers overseas medical and cancellation protection? The STA Basic Travel Insurance policy may be what your after.
STA Travel has built a name for itself by offering affordably flights, accommodating and holiday package deals for students and other budget-conscious travellers. However, it also offers a range of travel insurance policies, all of which are underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, to meet the requirements and budgets of a variety of travellers.
STA Basic Travel Insurance is designed to offer affordable cover and financial protection against a few key travel risks. From cancellation costs and personal liability to $10 million of cover for overseas medical expenses, it provides the coverage you need without putting too much strain on your wallet. Read on to discover more about the benefits offered by STA Basic Travel Insurance.
What am I actually covered for?
|Benefit||Basic / Multi-Trip|
|Travel Services Provider Insolvency||-|
|Overseas Medical and Dental||$10,000,000|
|Amendment or Cancellation Costs||Unlimited|
|Luggage and Travel Documents||$3,000|
|Delayed Luggage Allowance||$200|
|Resumption of Trip||-|
|Loss of Income||-|
|Medical and Dental Expenses in Australia||$1,000,000|
|Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess||Optional|
What isn’t covered?
Before deciding on any travel insurance policy you should always look closely at the list of general exclusions to find out when you will and will not be covered. STA will not pay your travel insurance claim if:
- It arises due to your suicide or attempted suicide.
- It arises because you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- It is for consequential loss of any kind, for example loss of enjoyment.
- It is for loss that occurs outside your period of insurance.
- It arises because you commit an unlawful act or provide dishonest information when submitting your claim.
- It arises from a government authority confiscating, detaining or destroying anything.
- It arises from any government prohibition or regulation.
- Your claim arises due to an act of war.
- It arises due to the insolvency of a travel services provider.
- Your claim is related to a pre-existing medical condition which is not covered by your policy.
- Your claim is in any way connected with your dementia, depression, anxiety, stress, nervous disorder or mental disorder.
- Your claim arises due to a sexually transmitted disease.
- Your claim arises because you are travelling against medical advice.
- Your claim arises due to pregnancy, childbirth or related complications, unless it is a simple, uncomplicated pregnancy up to 23 weeks.
- It arises due to complications after elective surgery.
- It arises because you participate in professional sports or racing of any kind.
- It arises because you ride a motorcycle or scooter without wearing a helmet or without having a valid licence in the country you are in.
- It arises due to your participation in off-piste skiing or snowboarding.
Any additional cover?
- Choose your excess. The STA Basic Travel Insurance policy allows you to choose an excess from nil, $100 and $250. Choosing a higher excess will result in lower insurance premiums.
- Increased luggage item limits. You have the flexibility of increasing the insured limit of high value items by up to $4,500. If you increase the value of multiple items, the maximum total increase in value allowed is $7,000.
- Rental vehicle insurance excess. STA also allows you to purchase $5,000 of rental vehicle insurance cover for when your rental car is damaged or stolen.
How do I claim?
If you need to make a claim on your STA Basic Travel Insurance policy, visit travelclaims.com.au and login by entering your policy number, surname and date of birth. You can then download, print and complete a claim form which you can mail, post or fax back to the insurer.
In some cases you may need to provide further information and documentation to support your claim, possibly including medical reports, police reports, receipts, proof of ownership and more. If you fail to supply these details as requested your claim may be reduced or rejected.
Some final questions you might have
- Q. Does this policy include rental vehicle insurance excess cover?
- A. While this cover is not included automatically in your policy, you can take out $5,000 of rental vehicle excess cover as an optional extra by paying an additional premium.
- Q. Is this policy available for domestic trips?
- A. Yes. STA Basic Travel Insurance can be taken out for domestic trips or international holidays.
- Q. What is the maximum trip duration that this policy will cover?
- A. This policy will cover international trips up to a maximum duration of 31, 45 or 62 days – you choose an option to suit your needs. Domestic trips can be covered for up to 15 or 31 days.
- Q. My airline has delayed my return flight to Australia by two days – can I extend my cover?
- A. Yes. When this happens you can contact STA to extend your cover free of charge.
- Q. I suffer from hypothyroidism – can I still get travel insurance cover?
- A. Yes. Hypothyroidism is one of many pre-existing conditions that STA insurance covers without requiring you to pay an extra premium. You can view a full list of these conditions by reading the PDS.
- Q. What do I do if I need emergency assistance during my trip?
- You can phone Allianz Global Assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere in the world.
- Q. What insurance details do I need to take with me when travelling?
- A. Make sure to keep your policy number, PDS and emergency assistance card with you at all times.
- Q. Do I need to pay an excess when I make a claim?
- A. This depends on whether or not you have chosen for an excess to apply to your policy. You can choose from $0, $100 or $250.
- Q. I want comprehensive cover – can STA help me?
- A. Yes, STA also offers two higher levels of cover than the protection offered by this policy. You may wish to consider STA Comprehensive Travel Insurance or STA Essentials Travel Insurance.
- Q. Am I covered if I go abseiling on my trip?
- A. Yes. STA automatically covers more than 35 sports and adventure activities. Read the PDS for a full list of covered sports.
- Q. How much cover is provided for overseas medical and dental expenses?
- A. STA Basic Travel Insurance provides $10 million of cover for your overseas medical and dental expenses.
- Q. How much personal liability cover is included in the STA Basic Travel Insurance policy?
- A. This plan provides $1 million of liability cover for international trips and $200,000 cover for journeys within Australia.
Interested in Applying for STA Basic Travel Insurance?
STA Basic Travel Insurance offers affordable and competitive cover for travellers who don’t require a high level of insurance cover. You can receive a free quote for cover and compare this policy against other options by entering your details in the quote form above. Always make sure you have any questions you have about this policy answered and consult the PDS if interested in applying.