What is the fund?
St.LukesHealth is a non-profit health fund that has been providing affordable health cover to Australians since 1952. Established in Tasmania, St.LukesHealth now has a membership base that encompasses all the states and territories of Australia.
Other types of cover available
Thanks to an arrangement with CGU Insurance and MyState, St.LukesHealth is able to offer its members access to a wide range of additional insurance products including travel, car, building and contents, and life insurance.
St.LukesHealth travel insurance provides cover for singles, couples and families. It offers the following four levels of cover:
- Economy. This is the minimum cover required for travel to New Zealand and to the South Pacific. It includes basic cover for overseas medical and dental as well as accidental death and disability. It also provides cover for cancelled or rescheduled travel, resumption of overseas travel and the loss of luggage and travel documents. It also includes liability and a hire car excess waiver.
- Standard. This is the minimum cover for travel to Asia, including Bali. It includes everything covered under the Economy option but has higher benefit levels for overseas medical and for the loss of luggage and travel documents.
- Super. This is the minimum cover for travel to the UK, Europe, South America, Russia, India, Africa and the Middle East. It includes everything that you can find in the Economy and Standard options but has higher benefit levels for most items.
- Super Plus. This is worldwide cover and is compulsory for travel to the USA, Canada and Japan. It includes everything you can find in the Super option but has higher benefit levels for the loss of your luggage and travel documents and for the hire car excess waiver.
You can get three levels of cover through St.LukesHealth:
- Third party. This covers you for the cost of any damage you cause to another person’s property or vehicle. It includes $30 million liability cover and uninsured motorist damage cover up to $5,000.
- Third party fire and theft. This covers you if you cause damage to another vehicle or if your car is stolen or catches fire. It includes $30 million liability cover as well as cover for uninsured motorist damage up to $5,000, hire car after theft up to 21 days, emergency or temporary repairs, towing and transport of your vehicle, removal of debris, re-coding of locks and barrels after theft of keys and storage costs.
- Comprehensive. The comprehensive option covers both your own vehicle and any damage caused to others. It comes with a range of optional extras and includes everything you can find in third party fire and theft. It gives you full cover for uninsured motorist damage, no-claims bonus protection and new car replacement as long as the car is no older than three years old. You can also get optional windscreen extension, trailer cover, and cover for personal items as well as for baby capsules and child seats.
St.LukesHealth offers three levels of cover, Basic (fundamental cover), Quality (listed events) and Premium (cover for almost any accident), along with three tiers of protection:
- Buildings. This covers the dwelling you live in and any other buildings on your property plus infrastructure for services, swimming pools and spas.
- Contents. This covers a wide range of items including furniture, jewellery, money, TVs, computers and software, carpet and curtains.
- Building and contents. This covers both your home and possessions, including everything in building cover and in contents cover.
Key features of CGU life cover through St.LukesHealth include the following:
- Joint cover. This gives you the option to take out joint cover and include cover for your partner, so your family remains fully protected.
- Life cover benefit. This is a benefit amount ranging from $100,000 to $1 million, depending on your age, and is available as a lump sum payment in the event of your death.
- Terminal illness benefit. This is a lump sum payout if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness and have less than 12 months to live.
- Advance funeral benefit. This is an advanced payment of $10,000 on your death to pay for your funeral expenses or other immediate costs.
What are the benefits of St.LukesHealth?
Because St.LukesHealth is a not-for-profit, members-owned health fund, it works solely to benefit members. Earnings are reinvested in the fund and go towards providing improved benefits and affordable premiums, rather than going to shareholders. Members of such funds generally receive a higher level of personalised service and have higher levels of satisfaction than those in for-profit funds.
As well as improved benefits and lower costs, members of St.LukesHealth also enjoy the following discounts and incentives:
- A 10% discount on CGU building and contents insurance
- An 8% discount on premiums for various St.LukesHealth products for those employed in the hospitality industry within Tasmania
- A 50% discount on the membership fee at LAfit in Launceston
- A 3% discount on premiums for all St.LukesHealth products for MyState customers
- Two pairs of designer glasses with single vision lenses from the $199 range with no gap to pay, plus discounts on other lens types and lens extras at Specsavers
- Two pairs of frames with single vision stock hard coat lenses valued at $486 for no out-of-pocket cost, plus a 10% discount on all other frames and lenses at Eyelines
- 20% off lenses and lens extras, 15% off non-prescription lenses and 5% off contact lenses at Look of Australia
- No-gap option on standard spectacles from the “health fund” range of frames and a 15% discount on complete spectacles, including extras, outside of the “health fund” range at Sharpe & Fowler Eyecare
- No-gap option on standard spectacles from the “health fund” range of frames or a free pair of single vision spectacles from the “free pair” range with a complete pair of frames and lenses from outside of the “health fund” range at Total Eyecare.