Build assets and make other investments by using the equity in your home with the St.George Portfolio loan
You've worked hard to gain equity within your home, now is the time to reinvest that equity to make your money work for you. With a St.George Portfolio loan you can do exactly this and have multiple accounts for each type of investment.
Are there any considerations with this loan?
This loan is available for property or a vacant land purchase while only the variable rate option can be used for building.
The Portfolio Loan can also be used for business purposes and can be packaged with the Business Maximiser or Business Owner's loan package.
What are the features and benefits of the St.George Portfolio loan?
- Flexible line of credit. You can borrow up to 90% of the value of your secured property to make other investments. Property values are determined by St.George and you may incur Lender's Mortgage Insurance (LMI) should you borrow above 80% of the value of the security property.
- Up to 10 sub-accounts. You can open up to 10 sub-accounts to suit your investment needs. For example, you can open a sub-account for your investment property, another for your share portfolio and so on. Also, you can use different ownership structures to assist with managing tax and finances. Each sub-account will issue its own separate monthly statements to help you with administration. Note that a sub-account holder must be a Portfolio Loan borrower. Any remaining borrowers must be a guarantor or hold a guarantee with the Portfolio Loan.
- Choose from fixed or variable rates. Your primary sub-account will have a variable interest rate and you can choose either fixed or variable rates for all other sub-accounts.
- Flexible repayments. Since this is an ongoing line of credit, there are no set loan terms. You can choose to repay as often as you like, but you need to make at least one repayment per month. Interest will apply to the remaining balance.
- Accessibility. You can have 24/7 access to your funds through ATMs, EFTPOS, Internet banking, mobile banking (subject to system availability) and phone banking as well as a linked Visa Debit card.
- Rate lock. Fix your interest rate for peace of mind during the settlement period so there's no rush to get all the paperwork done. The lock will last for a period of up to 90 days before your loan settles.
- Additional repayments. These are allowed anytime on the variable interest rate sub-accounts. For the fixed interest rate sub-accounts, you an make extra repayments of up to $10,000 each year before a fee applies.
What are the fees and charges?
Fees you can avoid
- Legal fee, $0. You won't be required to pay for any legal charges associated with the management of your home loan.
- Valuation fee, $0. St. George will not charge a valuation fee unless the mortgage property requires external inspection or a market value assessment.
Fees you can't avoid
- Establishment fee, $700. This is charged to your account when you take out a home loan, charged at the start of the loan. Note that other upfront costs may apply.
- Ongoing fees, $Varies. You can choose between a $14 monthly fee for each sub-account or a $200 annual fee for all sub-accounts.
- Additional sub-account fee, $100 per account. This fee is charged if you decide to add another sub-account to your Portfolio Loan.
How do I apply or find out more information about this loan?
Please click on the secure links available on this page to be taken to St.George's website. By giving a few of your details, a St.George home loan expert will contact you at your preferred time to discuss your eligibility and options. This enquiry will not appear on your credit file and is obligation-free.
If you would like to apply online straight away, the application should take up to 10-15 minutes. You can save and return to your application at anytime - you'll also get an instant response with estimated repayments based on the loan amount that you've requested. A St.George home loan specialist will then contact you to guide you through the next stage of your application.
Can I apply online?
You can apply online if you are:
- An Australian resident
- At least 18 years old
- You intend to buy property in Australia or want to refinance an existing home loan from another institution
- You receive a regular income from an Australian employer
- You don't have a bad credit history (including bankruptcy, insolvency or missed payments)
What will I need to supply?
- Name and content details of each borrower. If you're an existing customer, your current St.George login details so some of your information can be pre-filled.
- Details of any other loans inclusive of HECS or other government debts, credit cards, personal loans and any other expenses.
- Details of the property you want to buy if these details are known and if refinancing, details of the property you currently have a loan against.