Access your funds overseas, lock in exchange rates and save on currency conversion fees with the St.George Global Currency Card.
The St.George Global Currency Card is a convenient way to spend when you are overseas or shopping online. This prepaid debit card lets you load and use your funds in up to five different currencies.
The St.George Global Currency Card also comes with a backup card that has its own card number and PIN, making it easier to access your funds if your primary card is lost, stolen or damaged. Find out more about this card’s features and how it works, then compare it to other travel money cards to find the right option for you.
|Available Currencies||AUD, HKD, USD, SGD, GBP, JPY, EUR, THB, NZD, ZAR, CAD|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||2|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||$50,000|
|Maximum Annual Load Amount||$100,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||2,000 or foreign currency equivalent or the withdrawal limit (if any) set by the ATM operator (whichever limit is lower|
|24 Hour POS Transaction Limit||10,000 or foreign currency equivalent|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$0|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee||AUD 2.00 USD 2.00 GBP 1.50 EUR 2.00 NZD 3.00 CAD 2.50 HKD 15.00 SGD 3.00 JPY 200 THB 75.00 ZAR 20.00|
|Balance Enquiries||AUD 2.00 USD 2.00 GBP 1.50 EUR 2.00 NZD 3.00 CAD 2.50 HKD 15.00 SGD 3.00 JPY 200 THB 75.00 ZAR 20.00|
|Card Replacement Fee||$0|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Reloading funds and currencies
The St.George Global Currency Card lets you load funds into your account at any time, with Internet Banking and a mobile app to make it easier to manage the card wherever you are. As well as Australian dollars, you can choose up to four other currencies to carry on the card, and it will automatically use the correct currency for any transactions that you make.
Which currencies can I use?
Choose to add funds from the following 11 currencies:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Euros (EUR)
- Great British pound (GBP)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Japanese Yen (JPY)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
- South African rand (ZAR)
- Thai baht (THB)
- US dollars (USD)
How to load and reload funds
There are three options for loading and reloading funds with a St.George Global Currency Card:
- St.George Internet and Mobile Banking. If you have a St.George bank account, you can instantly load funds to your Global Travel Card by logging into your Internet banking transaction account and selecting it as the “To” account.
- Other account transfers. You can load funds from another Australian Financial Institution by using the BSB and account number provided with your St.George Global Currency Card. To find these details, log into your St.George Global Currency Card account and click on the “Add Money” option.
- BPAY®. You can use BPAY® by entering the Biller Code 208637 and your customer reference number, which is the 13-digit number on the back of your card.
Depending on the transfer method you use, it could take 1-3 days for funds to appear in your account, so keep this in mind when your balance is running low.
Where can I use the card?
- Anywhere Visa is accepted. You can use the St.George Global Currency Card at any location that accepts Visa, both in-store and online. You can also avoid ATM withdrawal fees at over 50,000 locations with Global ATM Alliance partners.
- Where your loaded currencies are accepted. The St.George Global Currency Card automatically uses the currency in which a transaction is being processed when it is loaded onto the card. If you have insufficient funds in that wallet or if you are making a purchase in a currency not supported on your card, the first available currency in the drawdown sequence will be used. For example, if you have US$90 in your US Currency wallet but you need US$100, the remaining US$10 will be taken from the next wallet on your list.
Fees and charges
|Main fees/ charges associated with St.George Global Currency Card|
|Card replacement fee||There is no fee for replacing lost or stolen cards.|
|Emergency cash transfer fees||Requesting emergency cash if your card is lost or stolen will attract fees of between $15-$30 depending on the amount of cash requested.|
|Card reload fee||There is no charge for card reloads when completed via St.George Internet Banking or Mobile Banking. If you make a BPAY® transfer through another financial institution, they may charge a transaction fee.|
|Foreign exchange||A 3% charge applies if a transaction is made in a currency not supported by the card.|
|ATM transaction fees||ATM withdrawal fee at over 50,000 ATMs via Global ATM Alliance partners: $0|
A fee may be charged if you use any ATMs outside the Global ATM alliance. This fee is applied in the local currency and starts at GBP 1.50.
Non-Westpac Group ATM in Australia or non-Global Alliance overseas: AUD 2.00, USD 2.00, GBP 1.50, EUR 2.00, NZD 3.00, CAD 2.50, HKD 15.00, SGD 3.00, JPY 200, THB 75.00
ATM withdrawal fees
|United States of America||USD 2.00|
|United Kingdom||GBP 1.50|
|New Zealand||NZD 3.00|
|Hong Kong||HKD 15.00|
|South Africa||ZAR 20.00|
Manage your account
You can check your balance, load funds, exchange currencies and manage your account via the Internet Banking, Mobile Banking app or by contacting customer service on 1300 277 103.
Exchanging currencies on the card
When you load funds onto your card from another bank account, the money will automatically be added to the Australian currency wallet. From there, you can transfer funds into the other currency wallets via the Global Currency Card website, mobile app or by calling customer service on 1300 277 103.
The internet and mobile banking services also let you choose which wallets are in use at any given time. This makes it easier to keep track of the balances of your wallets so that you have the right funds available when you need them.
What if I have funds leftover after using the card?
If you return from a trip and still have foreign currency on the card, you have the option to:
- Leave the money on your Global Currency Card, which you can use prior to the expiry date listed on the front of the card.
- Transfer the funds to the Australian currency wallet and use the card to make purchases anywhere Visa is accepted.
Security + emergency contact details
- Chip and PIN technology. This prepaid Visa debit card has an embedded microchip for data security, and a customisable PIN for secure transactions.
- Additional card. If your primary Global Currency Card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can cancel it and use the backup card instead.
- Visa Zero Liability Policy. This insurance policy covers the cost of fraudulent or unauthorised charges that are made on the card. Keep in mind this coverage does not apply to ATM transactions, transactions not processed by Visa or certain commercial card transactions. To be eligible for Zero Liability coverage, you will need to make sure no one else has your card or card details, sign the back of the card when you get it and follow the other guidelines in the Product Disclosure Statement.
- Issuer. The GCC is issued by Cuscal Limited.
Getting your card
Get your card and start using it by following these steps:
- Order the card. If you’re a St.George customer, you can order your Global Currency Card online via Internet and Mobile Banking.
- Activate the card. Once you’ve received your card within 3 – 5 business days, you’ll need to activate it via the Global Currency website. You’ll need your 16-digit number on the front of the card, the expiry date and the CVV2 (the last three digits on the back of your card).
- Choose your PIN. When you activate the card, you’ll be asked to select a four-digit PIN to secure your transactions. Avoid choosing PINs that will be easy for other people to guess (e.g. 1234) and memorise it as soon as you can.
- Load money. St.George does not charge a fee for card reloads. If you make a BPAY® transfer through another financial institution they may charge a transaction fee.
What to watch out for
- Limited to existing St.George customers. Only people who currently have a St.George account can get a Global Currency Card.
- Minimum load. There is a minimum load amount of AUD $100 for the initial load, and a minimum of AUD $50 for subsequent reloads.
- Maximum daily transfer. Your transfers onto the card are capped at $6,000 a day when you transfer using BPAY®, or $25,000 for bank transfers initiated via Internet or Mobile Banking.
- Maximum balance. Your available balance must not exceed $50,000 across the various wallets.
- Exchange rates. If you don’t have enough money in the appropriate currency wallet, the auto Wallet transfer will take it from another account and exchange rates and fees will apply. This process could have a major impact on the balance of your card (and your budget).
The St.George Global Currency Card offers you a flexible and affordable way to make overseas payments both in person and online. By considering the features and conditions of this card and comparing it to other options, you will be able to find a travel money card that really suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Is the Global Currency Card a credit card?
Can I use foreign currencies to load the card?
No, you can only load Australian dollars onto the card, which you can then transfer across to your preferred supported currency wallet.
What happens when the card expires?
If the card expires, you won’t be able to log in to your account. To close your account and receive your remaining balance, you’ll need to contact the Customer Assistance team on 1300 277 103 and request an account closure form. Once you’ve completed the form, St.George will convert the remaining balance into Australian dollars and pay it into your preferred Australian bank account.
I’m not a St.George customer. Can I get this card?
What happens if I use the card in a country with a currency that’s not listed here?
If you use the St.George Global Currency Card in a currency that’s not available on your account, the funds will be taken from your Australian currency wallet, or any other wallet with sufficient funds. Keep in mind that exchange rates and fees will apply.