SpotMe Payday Loan Review
SpotMe offers short term loans up to $1,000.
SpotMe offers payday loans between $250 and $1,000 with terms of 1-3 months. Borrowers can choose a repayment schedule that is weekly, fortnightly or monthly depending on what lines up with the frequency of their income. Borrowers will pay a one-off establishment fee as well as monthly fees. See a complete list of the features, fees and eligibility requirements that apply in this review.
Maximum loan amount
Term of loan
|Product Name||SpotMe Payday Loan|
|Minimum loan amount||$250|
|Maximum loan amount||$1,000|
|Initial Maximium Loan Amount||$1,000|
|Loan term||1-3 months|
|Turnaround time||24 hrs|
|Costs||20% of principal amount establishment fee + 4% monthly fee|
|Available to Centrelink Borrowers?||No|
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support. Find out more here: https://www.finder.com.au/coronavirus-financial-help
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
How does a loan from SpotMe work?
SpotMe loans are available for up to $1,000. To get started, applicants need to create an online account and submit their application. If approved, they can receive their loan on the same day or at the least the next business day. They can repay their loan via direct deposit and can manage their account through their online dashboard. They can repay their loan early without penalty if they provide SpotMe with two days notice.
SpotMe loan features
- Fees and repayments. Borrowers are usually required to make repayments weekly, fortnightly or monthly to align with when they receive their pay. A one-off establishment fee and monthly fees apply. How much they pay will depend on the size of the loan and the length of the loan term. They will receive a full list of the charges they can expect after they apply and before they sign the contract. Applicants can compare the fees that will be charged in the section below.
- Account management. Keep track of the repayments and details of the loan through an online dashboard.
- Turnaround time. If approved, SpotMe can debit the loan in as little as 60 minutes but usually within the next business day.
- Prepaid card. SpotMe offers a prepaid debit card to borrowers to access their cash. It will charge no fees for this card but they should be aware of fees for checking their balance or withdrawing cash from any non-Westpac branded ATMs.
- No refinancing. SpotMe doesn't allow customers to refinance their loan, so it's important to make repayments on time and pay the loan off in full.
Compare other payday loans
While we don't compare this loan directly, here are some other loans that are similar.
The costs to be aware of
SpotMewill confirm the repayments and charges specific to an applicant's loan after they apply and before they sign the contract. They can compare the fees and charges they pay on their first loan below:
- Establishment fee that is 20% of what they borrow
- Monthly fee that is 4% of what they borrow
If borrowers fail to pay their loan on time, they may be charged:
- Payment dishonour fee of $25 if a direct debit is not made in full or is rescheduled at their request
- Daily account arrears fee of $5 where their account remains in arrears
If customers don't think they can make a repayment on time, they must contact SpotMe as soon as possible to notify them. They may be able to move the repayment due date. If applicants default on the loan, this will be registered on their credit report and will remain there for up to five years.