7 unforgettable South Australian family holiday destinations
Sort your itinerary and your accommodation in one hit with our top spots to take the family in South Australia.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Update on travel around South Australia
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the 2020 bushfires some areas may be closed to tourists.
Before visiting, check with the destination and the tourism board. Otherwise you can use these recommendations as inspiration for where to visit on a future trip.
From beach havens in the Yorke Peninsula to the underground city of Coober Pedy, South Australia is teeming with things to do over the next school holidays or even just a weekend away.
We've gathered together the destinations that will give you a holiday above the rest.
Our favourite family holiday destinations in South Australia
To say Kangaroo Island is a slice of paradise is an understatement. From incredible sunsets over Seal Bay to the Remarkable Rocks that sit atop the southern side of the island, unforgettable is just one of the words we'd use to describe your time here.
- Best for: An action-packed holiday
- Where to stay: Aurora Ozone Hotel, Kangaroo Island Seafront, Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge
- What to do: Quad Bike Tours, Kangaroo Island Scenic Trail Tour, 75-minute Ocean Safari, Shore Excursion Scenic Trail Tour, Kangaroo Island Toboggan Rentals
We're sure the kids are going to love this one. Most commonly known for its abundance of wineries, Adelaide Hills also offers a wide range of kid-friendly experiences. With so much to cover, we recommend taking a hike or spending a day at one of the many wildlife sanctuaries.
- Best for: Wildlife parks and conservation parks
- Where to stay: Mount Lofty House MGalley, Best Western Adelaide Granada Motor Inn, Dalmeny Bed and Breakfast
- What to do: Adelaide Hills and Hahndorf Half Day Tour, Mount Lofty Bike Descent, Cleland Conservation Park, Gorge Wildlife Park, Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary
Nestled near the Victorian border, Mount Gambier is truly a one-of-a-kind holiday destination. No where else in the state can you spend a day in a garden sinkhole, or watch a lake turn a bright, cobalt blue in the summer.
- Best for: Volcanic landscapes
- Where to stay: Commodore on the Park, Golden Chain Tower Motor Inn, Federal Hotel Mt Gambier
- What to do: Canoe on the Blue Lake, spend the day at the Umpherston Sinkhole, check out the Cave Gardens, hike up to the Blue Lake lookout
Situated just across the St Vincent Gulf, the Yorke Peninsula offers a coastal escape from the city. The family holiday options are endless, from sandy havens on the west coast to national parks in the south of Inneston. We recommend packing up the car and hitting the road.
- Best for: A beach getaway
- Where to stay: Marion Bay Holiday Villas, Stansbury Holiday Motel
- What to do: Innes National Park, Ethel Wreck Beach Lookout, Cape Spencer Lighthouse, West Cape, Flaherty Beach
Located on the central coast of Australia's southern state, the Eyre Peninsula is home to pristine natural formations, the freshest seafood and endless hiking trails. If you're looking for a family getaway that's the perfect mix of adventure and ocean fun, then you can't look past South Australia's pointy end.
- Best for: National parks and walking trails
- Where to stay: Port Lincoln Caravan Park, Longbeach Apartments, Port Lincoln Hotel
- What to do: Coffin Bay Oysters, Ocean and Nature Tour, Hunt and Gather Seafood Experience, Lincoln National Park beaches, hike through the Gawler Ranges National Park, Cunnings Monument
Take a step back in time with a trip inland to Coober Pedy. The town is a cocktail of rich mining history, outback experiences and encapsulating red landscapes. From exploring underground temples to watching the sun lower into the hills of Kanku-Breakaways, Coober Pedy is worth the stopover.
- Best for: Australian history and landscapes
- Where to stay: The Lookout Cave Underground Motel, Opal Inn Hotel Motel Caravan Park, Comfort Inn Coober Pedy Experience
- What to do: Coober Pedy Tagalong Tour, Umoona Opal Mine & Museum, Crocodile Harry's, Saint Elijiah's Serbian Orthodox Church, Breakaways, Old Timer's Mine and Museum
It's the heart of South Australia and it offers a variety of activities that are sure to keep the whole family happy. We recommend taking to the water with a dolphin cruise and tasting the best Australian produce on offer at the local markets.
- Best for: A city getaway
- Where to stay: Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide, The Playford Adelaide MGallery, Oaks Glenelg Plaza Pier Suites
- What to do: Monarto Safari Park, Wild Dolphin Cruise, Tall Ship Day Cruise, Self-Guided Tour of Adelaide Gaol, Adelaide Central Markets
Best beaches in South Australia
From shores close to the city to a taste of clear blue paradise, these are our top beach picks:
- Vivonne Bay, Kangaroo Island
- Glenelg Beach, Adelaide
- Almonta Beach, Eyre Peninsula
- Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga
- Memory Cove, Eyre Peninsula
- Hardwicke Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Dolphin Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Salmon Hole, Limestone Coast
Best camping spots in South Australia
Get those tents and sleeping bags ready because these campgrounds are too good to miss:
- Vivonne Bay, Kangaroo Island
- Cable Bay Campground, Yorke Peninsula
- Wilpena Pound, Flinders Ranges
- Tahlia Caves, Eyre Peninsula
- Coorong National Park, Coorong
- Innes National Park, Yorke Peninsula
Best hikes in South Australia
Tighten up those hiking boots because chances are you won't want to miss these incredible walks:
- St Mary Peak Hike, Wilpena Pound
- Sandy Creek, Kangaroo Island
- Rosetta Trail, the Bluff, Victor Harbour
- Mount Tavern Trek, Mambray Creek
- Ravine Des Casoars, Kangaroo Island
- Mount Lofty Hike, Adelaide Hills
- Cape Du Couedic, Kangaroo Island
Latest South Australia holiday packages and deals
Up to 61% off Australia holiday packages
Available on select dates until December 2021, including over Christmas and New Year's Eve. Destinations include Adelaide, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Sydney, Cairns, Canberra, Hunter Valley and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia and New Zealand tours
Available on select dates in 2020 and 2021. Destinations include Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Cairns, Wellington, Auckland, Queenstown and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia tours
Available on select 2020 and 2021 dates for trips to Byron Bay, Uluru, Perth, Whitsundays, Melbourne, Adelaide and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia tours
Available on select dates in 2021 and 2021. Destinations include Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Broome, Uluru and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 32% off Australia getaways
Available on select 2020 dates when you book your flights and accommodation together. Destinations include Perth, Adelaide, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Hobart and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 10% off 10-day outback guided tour
Available for travel from April 2021 - March 2022. Destinations include Adelaide, Uluru, Alice Springs and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to $4,076 off 6-day all-inclusive luxury air tour
Available on select travel dates 20 March - 18 October 2021. Package includes private charter flights between Adelaide, Gawler Ranges, Coober Pedy and Uluru, accommodation, meals, return airport transfers and much more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 28% off Barrosa Valley getaway with flights
Available for travel until 31 October 2021 for 2 persons. Package includes return airfare, stay at Novotel Barossa Valley Resort, breakfast, bottle of local wine and late check out. T&Cs apply.
Adelaide 4-day getaway from $499 with flights
Available on select stay dates in 2020 and 2021. Package includes return economy flights, stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor and full day sightseeing tour.
Up to 30% off Australia and New Zealand tours
Available on select dates until December 2021. Destinations include Sydney, Cairns, Adelaide, Darwin, Byron Bay, Christchurch, Auckland and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to $251 off Australia holidays
Available on select dates in 2020 and 2021 when you book your hotels and flight together. Destinations include Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and more. T&Cs apply.
More guides on Finder
Albany hotels | Where to stay on Western Australia’s south coast
Compare Albany hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
8 picture-perfect Cairns resorts to book for 2020
Lose yourself in the top accommodation tropical north Queensland has to offer.
Gold Coast resorts for luxury accommodation with all the views
Here are the beachfront resorts with outdoor pools, kids' clubs, acclaimed restaurants and more to really set the scene on your next Gold Coast holiday.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
10 Port Douglas resorts so heavenly you may never want to leave
Spend your days plunging into lagoon pools, being waited on inside private cabanas and teeing off on the green in Port Douglas.
5 romantic getaways in Canberra
The most luxurious and unique stays in Canberra to spoil your loved one at.
Soak up the sun at these 8 Noosa resorts
Pick the perfect resort for your next tropical getaway with our top picks on the Noosa coast.
10 NSW resorts that will whisk you away to paradise
From hitting the waves of Byron Bay to enjoying the peaceful countryside around Bowral, these are our favourite resort destinations.
11 romantic getaways in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for secluded luxury
Escape to the lush Sunshine Coast hinterland and stay at accommodation made for two with our top picks on where to stay for a romantic getaway.
Dubbo hotels | Where to stay in town and for Taronga Western Plains Zoo
Compare Dubbo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Ask an Expert