7 unforgettable South Australian family holiday destinations
Sort your itinerary and your accommodation in one hit with our top spots to take the family in South Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From beach havens in the Yorke Peninsula to the underground city of Coober Pedy, South Australia is teeming with things to do over the next school holidays or even just a weekend away.
We've gathered together the destinations that will give you a holiday above the rest.
Our favourite family holiday destinations in South Australia
To say Kangaroo Island is a slice of paradise is an understatement. From incredible sunsets over Seal Bay to the Remarkable Rocks that sit atop the southern side of the island, unforgettable is just one of the words we'd use to describe your time here.
- Best for: An action-packed holiday
- Where to stay: Aurora Ozone Hotel, Kangaroo Island Seafront, Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge
- What to do: Quad Bike Tours, Kangaroo Island Scenic Trail Tour, 75-minute Ocean Safari, Shore Excursion Scenic Trail Tour, Kangaroo Island Toboggan Rentals
We're sure the kids are going to love this one. Most commonly known for its abundance of wineries, Adelaide Hills also offers a wide range of kid-friendly experiences. With so much to cover, we recommend taking a hike or spending a day at one of the many wildlife sanctuaries.
- Best for: Wildlife parks and conservation parks
- Where to stay: Mount Lofty House MGalley, Best Western Adelaide Granada Motor Inn, Dalmeny Bed and Breakfast
- What to do: Adelaide Hills and Hahndorf Half Day Tour, Mount Lofty Bike Descent, Cleland Conservation Park, Gorge Wildlife Park, Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary
Nestled near the Victorian border, Mount Gambier is truly a one-of-a-kind holiday destination. No where else in the state can you spend a day in a garden sinkhole, or watch a lake turn a bright, cobalt blue in the summer.
- Best for: Volcanic landscapes
- Where to stay: Commodore on the Park, Golden Chain Tower Motor Inn, Federal Hotel Mt Gambier
- What to do: Canoe on the Blue Lake, spend the day at the Umpherston Sinkhole, check out the Cave Gardens, hike up to the Blue Lake lookout
Situated just across the St Vincent Gulf, the Yorke Peninsula offers a coastal escape from the city. The family holiday options are endless, from sandy havens on the west coast to national parks in the south of Inneston. We recommend packing up the car and hitting the road.
- Best for: A beach getaway
- Where to stay: Marion Bay Holiday Villas, Stansbury Holiday Motel
- What to do: Innes National Park, Ethel Wreck Beach Lookout, Cape Spencer Lighthouse, West Cape, Flaherty Beach
Located on the central coast of Australia's southern state, the Eyre Peninsula is home to pristine natural formations, the freshest seafood and endless hiking trails. If you're looking for a family getaway that's the perfect mix of adventure and ocean fun, then you can't look past South Australia's pointy end.
- Best for: National parks and walking trails
- Where to stay: Port Lincoln Caravan Park, Longbeach Apartments, Port Lincoln Hotel
- What to do: Coffin Bay Oysters, Ocean and Nature Tour, Hunt and Gather Seafood Experience, Lincoln National Park beaches, hike through the Gawler Ranges National Park, Cunnings Monument
Take a step back in time with a trip inland to Coober Pedy. The town is a cocktail of rich mining history, outback experiences and encapsulating red landscapes. From exploring underground temples to watching the sun lower into the hills of Kanku-Breakaways, Coober Pedy is worth the stopover.
- Best for: Australian history and landscapes
- Where to stay: The Lookout Cave Underground Motel, Opal Inn Hotel Motel Caravan Park, Comfort Inn Coober Pedy Experience
- What to do: Coober Pedy Tagalong Tour, Umoona Opal Mine & Museum, Crocodile Harry's, Saint Elijiah's Serbian Orthodox Church, Breakaways, Old Timer's Mine and Museum
It's the heart of South Australia and it offers a variety of activities that are sure to keep the whole family happy. We recommend taking to the water with a dolphin cruise and tasting the best Australian produce on offer at the local markets.
- Best for: A city getaway
- Where to stay: Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide, The Playford Adelaide MGallery, Oaks Glenelg Plaza Pier Suites
- What to do: Monarto Safari Park, Wild Dolphin Cruise, Tall Ship Day Cruise, Self-Guided Tour of Adelaide Gaol, Adelaide Central Markets
Best beaches in South Australia
From shores close to the city to a taste of clear blue paradise, these are our top beach picks:
- Vivonne Bay, Kangaroo Island
- Glenelg Beach, Adelaide
- Almonta Beach, Eyre Peninsula
- Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga
- Memory Cove, Eyre Peninsula
- Hardwicke Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Dolphin Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Salmon Hole, Limestone Coast
Best camping spots in South Australia
Get those tents and sleeping bags ready because these campgrounds are too good to miss:
- Vivonne Bay, Kangaroo Island
- Cable Bay Campground, Yorke Peninsula
- Wilpena Pound, Flinders Ranges
- Tahlia Caves, Eyre Peninsula
- Coorong National Park, Coorong
- Innes National Park, Yorke Peninsula
Best hikes in South Australia
Tighten up those hiking boots because chances are you won't want to miss these incredible walks:
- St Mary Peak Hike, Wilpena Pound
- Sandy Creek, Kangaroo Island
- Rosetta Trail, the Bluff, Victor Harbour
- Mount Tavern Trek, Mambray Creek
- Ravine Des Casoars, Kangaroo Island
- Mount Lofty Hike, Adelaide Hills
- Cape Du Couedic, Kangaroo Island
Latest South Australia holiday packages and deals
6-day Adelaide getaway with flights from $399
Available for travel on select dates from 1 May - 10 September 2021. Package includes return airfare and 5 nights stay at Grosvenor Hotel, BreakFree Directors Studio or Adelaide Paringa Hotel. Sample rate departs from Melbourne. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off Australia holiday packages
Available on select dates until December 2021, including over Christmas and New Year's Eve. Destinations include Adelaide, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Sydney, Cairns, Canberra, Hunter Valley and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia tours
Available on select dates in 2021. Destinations include Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Broome, Uluru and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 31% off Barossa Valley romantic escape for 2 with flights
Available for travel until 31 March 2022. Includes return airfare, stay at Novotel Barossa Valley Resort, breakfast and $50 food credit. T&Cs apply.
Up to USD$287 off holidays
Available on select travel dates when you book your hotel and car hire together. Destinations include Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia tours
Available on select travel dates in 2021 and 2022 to Brisbane, Cairns, Adelaide, Uluru, Darwin, Hobart and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to $600 off per couple for guided holidays and inspiring journeys
Available for travel from 1 April 2021 - 31 March 2022 across Australia and New Zealand, including Uluru, Darwin, Cairns, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Auckland, Queenstown and more. T&Cs apply.
2+ nights Australia getaways with flights from $200
Available on select travel dates to Gold Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and more.
3+ nights Australia holiday escapes from $339
Available on select travel dates in 2021 to Canberra, Hobart, Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and more. Sample rate is for a 3-night getaway from Melbourne to Adelaide. T&Cs apply.
More guides on Finder
Perth hotels with spas in the room
Find out where you can enjoy your own spa bath with these Perth hotels.
Kiama hotels | Where to stay in the coastal town south of Sydney
Compare Kiama hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Caravan Parks in Normanville
From picturesque coastal locations to luxurious cabins, these are the caravan parks in Normanville that are worth securing way in advance of your getaway.
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
8 picture-perfect Cairns resorts to book for 2021
Lose yourself in the top accommodation tropical north Queensland has to offer.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
5 romantic getaways in Canberra
The most luxurious and unique stays in Canberra to spoil your loved one at.
Soak up the sun at these 8 Noosa resorts
Pick the perfect resort for your next tropical getaway with our top picks on the Noosa coast.
10 NSW resorts that will whisk you away to paradise
From hitting the waves of Byron Bay to enjoying the peaceful countryside around Bowral, these are our favourite resort destinations.
11 romantic getaways in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for secluded luxury
Escape to the lush Sunshine Coast hinterland and stay at accommodation made for two with our top picks on where to stay for a romantic getaway.
Ask an Expert