Flights to South Africa
Discover special fares and flight deals to South Africa from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The beauty of South Africa attracts the attention of travellers with its natural habitat, including towering mountains, blossoming gardens and stunning beaches. Wildlife spotting and safari tours are also popular and plentiful.
The main airports are in Capetown and Johannesburg. Direct flights operate to Johannesburg daily from Perth and five days a week from Sydney. If flying from elsewhere in Australia, you'll find flights deals to South Africa via one of these airports. Most flights to Cape Town connect via Johannesburg.
South Africa flight time
- From Sydney: Approximately 14 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 15 hrs + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 14 hrs 50 mins + with one stopover, landing at Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 10 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
Airlines that fly to South Africa
- South African Airways
- Virgin Australia
- Cape Town is just over two hours from Johannesburg by connecting flight. Alternative routes from Australia to Cape Town, mainly via the Middle East, take much longer in total journey time. Most airlines offer an ‘open jaw’ ticket so you can fly into one airport and out of the other.
- Low-cost local carriers Mango, Kulula and Safair operate regional routes – check both OR Tambo (JNB) and Lanseria (HLA) airports in Johannesburg. You can try various train operators, a highly recommended way to enjoy the scenery as you come into Cape Town.
- Passengers flying with children under 18 should be aware of regulations where you must show the child’s passport and a full (unabridged) birth certificate (or a certified copy) to board the plane. You’ll need additional documents if travelling as a single parent or guardian. The Australian government website Smartraveller has further advice.
- May to September are said to be the best months for spotting wildlife in South Africa. There’s a good chance of finding flight deals to South Africa at either end of this period, considered off-peak season.
Johannesburg’s main gateway, OR Tambo International Airport (JNB), is the busiest airport in the whole of Africa. It is best to ignore hawkers in arrivals offering transfers and pre-book or seek out transfers yourself. The safest travel option is to book airport transfers with your hotel or tour operator. . The Rea Vaya is a secure and reliable rapid transit bus to central Johannesburg via dedicated bus lanes. Shuttle transfers can be arranged at desks in the baggage claim area or online in advance. There are taxi desks in the arrivals terminals or you can look for authorised vehicles outside with yellow taxi lights on the roof. The major car rental desks are found inside arrivals.
At Cape Town International Airport (CPT) you’ll also find major car rental companies represented. Access the Public Transport Plaza by subway opposite the central terminal building. MyCiti bus A01 runs 5am to midnight and takes around 30 minutes to the Cape Town civic station in the city. Cash isn’t accepted and you’ll need to buy and top up a myconnect card in the airport. Look for Touchdown Taxis here too, the authorised taxi company. Lots of private shuttle services operate to the city and the Western Cape and can be pre-booked online.
More guides on Finder
7 unforgettable South Australian family holiday destinations
Sort your itinerary and your accommodation in one hit with our top spots to take the family in South Australia.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
From tropical, offshore islands to scintillating wine regions, we've rounded up the best places to visit around the state .
Cheap flights to Christchurch you can book in 2021
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
How to watch Australia vs South Africa ODI cricket series live and free
Australia’s cricket tour of South Africa continues with three ODI matches. This is how you can watch.
How to watch Australia vs South Africa 3rd T20I live and free
The third and deciding match in the Australia vs South Africa T20I series is here. Finder has the details on how to watch live.
How to watch South Africa vs Australia T20I cricket series live and free
Australia’s tour of South Africa gets underway with three T20 cricket internationals.
Cheap flights to Newcastle (NTL) for 2021
Plan your trip to Newcastle with this guide that includes everything you need to know about booking flights and transport.
Flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2021
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
Cheap Norfolk Island flights to book in 2021
Compare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Norfolk Island.
Ask an Expert