Cheap South Africa flights
Discover special fares from Australia and get all your South Africa flights questions answered
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The beauty of South Africa attracts the attention of travellers with its natural habitat, including towering mountains, blossoming gardens and stunning beaches. Wildlife spotting and safari tours are also popular and plentiful.
The main airports are in Capetown and Johannesburg. Direct flights operate to Johannesburg daily from Perth and five days a week from Sydney. If flying from elsewhere in Australia, you'll find flights deals to South Africa via one of these airports. Most flights to Cape Town connect via Johannesburg.
How long is the flight to South Africa from Australia?
- From Sydney: Approximately 14 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 15 hrs + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 14 hrs 50 mins + with one stopover, landing at Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 10 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
Which airlines fly to South Africa from Australia?
- South African Airways
- Virgin Australia
- Cape Town is just over two hours from Johannesburg by connecting flight. Alternative routes from Australia to Cape Town, mainly via the Middle East, take much longer in total journey time. Most airlines offer an ‘open jaw’ ticket so you can fly into one airport and out of the other.
- Low-cost local carriers Mango, Kulula and Safair operate regional routes – check both OR Tambo (JNB) and Lanseria (HLA) airports in Johannesburg. You can try various train operators, a highly recommended way to enjoy the scenery as you come into Cape Town.
- Passengers flying with children under 18 should be aware of regulations where you must show the child’s passport and a full (unabridged) birth certificate (or a certified copy) to board the plane. You’ll need additional documents if travelling as a single parent or guardian. The Australian government website Smartraveller has further advice.
- May to September are said to be the best months for spotting wildlife in South Africa. There’s a good chance of finding flight deals to South Africa at either end of this period, considered off-peak season.
When's the best time to book Christmas flights to South Africa?
Airlines usually offer the most affordable deals a few months before a scheduled flight. For South Africa, you are most likely to find a cheap Christmas flight between May and September. Start following offers early to catch the early-bird offers!
If you don't have concrete plans and can't book early, you may still get a discounted fare on last-minute deals – but this depends on various factors and usually involves a lot of luck.
A flight before 10 December may cost you 40% less than one scheduled later. Prices are at their peak from mid- to late-December. Fares for a return journey drop after 24 December.
Johannesburg’s main gateway, OR Tambo International Airport (JNB), is the busiest airport in the whole of Africa. It is best to ignore hawkers in arrivals offering transfers and pre-book or seek out transfers yourself. The safest travel option is to book airport transfers with your hotel or tour operator. . The Rea Vaya is a secure and reliable rapid transit bus to central Johannesburg via dedicated bus lanes. Shuttle transfers can be arranged at desks in the baggage claim area or online in advance. There are taxi desks in the arrivals terminals or you can look for authorised vehicles outside with yellow taxi lights on the roof. The major car rental desks are found inside arrivals.
At Cape Town International Airport (CPT) you’ll also find major car rental companies represented. Access the Public Transport Plaza by subway opposite the central terminal building. MyCiti bus A01 runs 5am to midnight and takes around 30 minutes to the Cape Town civic station in the city. Cash isn’t accepted and you’ll need to buy and top up a myconnect card in the airport. Look for Touchdown Taxis here too, the authorised taxi company. Lots of private shuttle services operate to the city and the Western Cape and can be pre-booked online.
More guides on Finder
How to pick a proven budgeting strategy that works for you
We've compared 3 popular approaches to help sort your finances.
Property prices: You need a $100K deposit in every capital city – except this one
Saving a 20% deposit for the median priced property in most Australian cities is a 6-figure task.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Bitcoin up 21%: Will El Salvador’s big news kick off a fresh bull run?
Bi-weekly gains of just under 9%.
Ask an Expert