The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact corrects everything we didn't like about the Xperia XZ2 and does so at a size where you're usually beset with compromises. It's easily one of the best small premium smartphones on the market.
- Great performance
- Easy to hold and operate in one hand
- Surprisingly good battery life
- 1080p 960fps slow motion
- No headphone jack
- No wireless charging
- Pudgy design
- Camera is only good, not great
Sony proves you can still make a great small phone with the exceptional Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact.
I've already reviewed the Xperia XZ2, finding it a solidly built but ultimately frustrating phone. Typically, the small or "lite" versions of a handset are worse than their bigger siblings, but Sony has pulled off a remarkable feat with the Xperia XZ2 Compact, producing a handset that is superior by a pretty wide margin.
- Squat size makes it easy to hold and carry around
- Lack of a headphone jack remains frustrating
- 4K video recording and slow-motion capture add versatility
- Single-lens array lacks the capabilities of modern dual-lens set-ups
- Every bit as powerful as the full-sized Xperia XZ2
- Smaller screen size tempers the impact of all that power
- Delivers all-day longevity under moderate use
- Fast charging, but no support for Qi wireless charging
- Packs all the premium bells and whistles into a more pocket-friendly form factor
- A more capable small-screen device than the iPhone 8
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Don't let its size fool you: the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is just as capable as its larger competitors in the premium smartphone space. See for yourself by picking one up today.
- The Xperia XZ2 Compact is available through the Sony Store for $949.
- You can also find the Xperia XZ2 Compact on sale at retailers like Catch and Kogan for less.
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2160 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||483|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,870|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||19|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 15|
Latest Sony phone news
Sony's next flagship phone, the Xperia XZ4 looks to combine power and Sony's imaging know-how into one of 2019's finest flagship devices. Read more…
With its 6-inch screen, 23MP camera and NFC support, the Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra proves that premium features don't have to cost a fortune. Read more…
Sony's experience in the photography industry gives the Xperia XA1 and its 23MP camera a significant leg up on the competition. Read more…