The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact corrects everything we didn't like about the Xperia XZ2 and does so at a size where you're usually beset with compromises. It's easily one of the best small premium smartphones on the market.
- Great performance
- Easy to hold and operate in one hand
- Surprisingly good battery life
- 1080p 960fps slow motion
- No headphone jack
- No wireless charging
- Pudgy design
- Camera is only good, not great
Sony proves you can still make a great small phone with the exceptional Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact.
I've already reviewed the Xperia XZ2, finding it a solidly built but ultimately frustrating phone. Typically, the small or "lite" versions of a handset are worse than their bigger siblings, but Sony has pulled off a remarkable feat with the Xperia XZ2 Compact, producing a handset that is superior by a pretty wide margin.
- Squat size makes it easy to hold and carry around
- Lack of a headphone jack remains frustrating
- 4K video recording and slow-motion capture add versatility
- Single-lens array lacks the capabilities of modern dual-lens set-ups
- Every bit as powerful as the full-sized Xperia XZ2
- Smaller screen size tempers the impact of all that power
- Delivers all-day longevity under moderate use
- Fast charging, but no support for Qi wireless charging
- Packs all the premium bells and whistles into a more pocket-friendly form factor
- A more capable small-screen device than the iPhone 8
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Don't let its size fool you: the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is just as capable as its larger competitors in the premium smartphone space. See for yourself by picking one up today.
- The Xperia XZ2 Compact is available through the Sony Store for $949.
- You can also find the Xperia XZ2 Compact on sale at retailers like Catch and Kogan for less.
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2160 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||483|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,870|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||19|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 15|
Latest Sony phone news
Sony's brand new Xperia XZ3 combines AI features to make apps easier to use, along with Sony's superior slow-motion camera and the latest version of Android, but is it worth your while? Read more…
Sony's new flagship Xperia XZ3 Android phone will "predict" the apps you most want to use, and shuffle them around to make them easier to access. Read more…
If you're pondering Sony's Xperia XZ2, we've reviewed everything about its latest flagship smartphone, from plans to performance to help you make the right decision. Read more…