The Sony Xperia XZ2 ticks all the essential boxes for a flagship phone, and some of its performance is class-leading. However, quirky camera performance, a slippery grip and a gimmicky vibration motor don't help to sell it.
- New design looks great
- 4K HDR video recording
- Good app performance
- High quality speakers
- Dedicated camera shutter button
- Camera can be slow or inconsistent
- Feedback motor is gimmicky
- Incredibly slippery back
- Poor fingerprint sensor placement
The Sony Xperia XZ2 combines smart features with quirky performance, resulting in a clever smartphone that's hard to recommend.
Sony was one of only a handful of manufacturers to officially launch a flagship phone at this year's Mobile World Congress in the form of the Sony Xperia XZ2. With a new design, cutting-edge processor and Sony's camera smarts, it should have been a slam dunk of a phone, even in the hotly contested premium space.
The reality of using and testing the Xperia XZ2 reveals something subtly different. It's a phone that's equal parts brilliant and frustrating, and that's probably not quite what you want in your premium flagship.
- New design style is significantly more glamourous.
- Glass back is super-slippery, making a case essential if you don't want to break it.
- Full HD 960fps super slow motion is best in class.
- Lack of dual lenses and slow focus are big problems.
- Great performance, but essentially in line with every other Snapdragon 845 handset.
- Vibration motor is cute, but it's a gimmick you'll quickly tire of.
- All day battery life, but not much more.
- Qi wireless and fast charging supported.
- Solid performance, but too many design sacrifices to make it an essential purchase
- The camera takes good photos, but you have to work to take them
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XZ2
Sony's Full-HD ready super-slo-mo smartphone
The Sony Xperia XZ2 is Sony's newest flagship phone with a radical new look, super-slow motion video at Full HD and a premium processor. It's available now on contract with Telstra.
- The Sony Xperia XZ2 is available in Australia outright for $1,099.
- The Sony Xperia XZ2 is also available from Telstra on contract plan terms.
Sony Xperia XZ2 specs
|Display size (inches)||5.7|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2160 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||424|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,180|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||19|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 18|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Sony Xperia XZ2
Latest Sony phone news