Sony's Xperia XZ Premium has a few design oddities, and slow motion isn't the only photography benefit, but it is otherwise a sterling handset if you're after a premium experience.
- Delightful 4K display.
- Powerful processor.
- Solid battery life.
- 960fps slow motion is lots of fun.
- Water resistance.
- CAT 16 connectivity.
- Terrible SIM/microSD card slot.
- Slow motion is fiddly to use.
- Bulky design.
Sony sells the Xperia XZ Premium on the back of its amazing slow-motion ability, but there's a lot more to this premium handset.
Sony's fortunes in the mobile space have been interesting to watch over the past couple of years, because despite bringing out solid handsets, it's been a long while since it's had a genuinely exciting device with features that weren't, in some way or another, just catching up to the best in the industry.
However, at 2017's Mobile World Congress, Sony fired a definitive shot in the smartphone war, announcing the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. This was a handset with all the trimmings and then some, and was intended to be its flagship phone for 2017 against the likes of the LG G6 and the (at that point unannounced) Samsung Galaxy S8. We know Sony can make good phones, but can it make a truly great phone?
- 4K screen is gorgeous.
- A little chunky for a modern smartphone.
- Premium photo quality on par with other high-end handsets.
- Super slow-motion video capture is impressive, if limited.
- Fast and powerful in both benchmark testing and real-world use.
- 3D gaming performance is especially impressive.
- 3,230mAh battery delivers surprising longevity given the 4K screen and high-powered processor.
- Under typical use, all-day battery life is totally viable.
- Sony has delivered a capable and compelling addition to 2017's already impressive line-up of premium smartphones.
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Premium by name, premium by nature
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium packs the power and features to go toe-to-toe with the top flagship smartphones on the market.
- You can currently find the Sony XZ Premium selling for around $680 at online retailers like Catch and Kogan.
Sony Xperia XZ Premium specs
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||3840 x 2160|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||807|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,230|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||19|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||13|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 16|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Latest Sony news