It's no flagship phone, but if you want a handset with decent performance and great battery life, the Sony Xperia XA2 is a very solid choice.
- Great battery life
- Camera shutter button
- Decent performance
- No dual lens camera
- Weak and wobbly SIM card tray
- Blocky design
The Sony Xperia XA2 offers solid performance and exceptional battery life for a mid-range handset.
Sony has high prestige and a solid brand name to back itself but in the mobile space, real hits have been few and far between, even when the company has led the field as it did with super-slow motion on the Sony Xperia XZ Premium.
It's even more noticeable in the mid-range space, where for years Sony has offered solid phones that have never really grabbed the imagination in the way that some of its competitors have.
The Sony Xperia XA2 rests on an older Sony design, so at first glance, I wasn't expecting much out of it. It turns out that looks aren't everything.
- Chunky design stands in stark contrast to the slim style of most modern smartphones
- Dedicated camera shutter button is a handy feature most competitors lack
- 23MP sensor delivers solid picture quality for a mid-range smartphone
- The absence of a dual-lens array means less versatility compared to many competing handsets
- A solid mid-range performer that delivers a snappy experience in general use
- Android 8.0 support provides plenty of modern features and optimisations
- Standout battery life that ranks among the top performers on the market
- More than capable of all-day battery life, and possibly even multiple days with light use
- A premium-feeling handset at a mid-range price
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XA2
Premium power doesn't have to cost the world
Enjoy high-end power at an affordable price with the Sony Xperia XA2.
- The Sony Xperia XA2 is currently available for around $400 from online retailers like Catch, Kogan and DWI.
|Display size (inches)||5.2|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||424|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,300|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||23|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.4|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 13|
Latest Sony news
With its 6-inch screen, 23MP camera and NFC support, the Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra proves that premium features don't have to cost a fortune. Read more…
Sony's experience in the photography industry gives the Xperia XA1 and its 23MP camera a significant leg up on the competition. Read more…
Sony sells the Xperia XZ Premium on the back of its amazing slow-motion ability, but there's a lot more to this premium handset. Read more…