With its 6-inch screen, 23MP camera and NFC support, the Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra proves premium features don't have to cost a fortune.
If you're a casual observer of the smartphone industry you might come to the conclusion that premium handsets like the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S device are the only products on the market. Companies like Apple would probably be quite happy with that misconception, but in truth there are plenty of smartphones out there across a broad range of budgets, many of which are just as impressive as the flagship handsets receiving the lion's share of industry hype.
Take Sony's Xperia XA1 Ultra, for instance. Despite being priced firmly in the mid-range market, it sports a 6-inch, full HD display, a sharp 23MP rear camera and an equally impressive 16MP front camera. Those are quality features, the kind that are more than capable of meeting the needs of most smartphone users. In fact, unless you've been upgrading your handset to the latest and greatest each and every year, the Xperia XA1 Ultra is likely to represent a significant jump in performance and functionality.
- Sony continues to stick with its distinct if divisive style
- Android 8.0 update extends functionality even further
- 23MP rear camera plus a 16MP front camera is a strong combination
- Sony's legacy in the professional camera business is evident here
- Slightly under-equipped compared to similarly-priced handsets
- Should still be more than adequate for most users
- For a 6-inch phone, a 2,700mAh battery is a little on the small side
- Quick Charge support offsets some of the pain of such a compact battery
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra
A big handset for small budgets
The Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra delivers a smart balance of high-quality features at an affordable price.
- You can currently find the Xperia XA1 Ultra selling for around $480 at online retailers like Mobileciti.
|Display size (inches)||6|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||367|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,700|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||23|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||16|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 6|
Latest Sony news
Sony's next flagship phone, the Xperia XZ4 looks to combine power and Sony's imaging know-how into one of 2019's finest flagship devices. Read more…
Sony's experience in the photography industry gives the Xperia XA1 and its 23MP camera a significant leg up on the competition. Read more…
Sony sells the Xperia XZ Premium on the back of its amazing slow-motion ability, but there's a lot more to this premium handset. Read more…