Sony's experience in the photography industry gives the Xperia XA1 and its 23MP camera a significant leg up on the competition.
Smartphone manufacturers tend to put the vast majority of their marketing muscle behind their top-of-the-line handsets, so much so that many people have no idea that brands like Samsung, LG and Sony also produce a whole catalogue of more affordable smartphones in the mid-range and budget sections of the mobile market. These handsets typically pack performance and features commensurate with premium smartphones from just a year or two earlier, and thanks to the relentless pace mobile technology advances at, that's often more than sufficient for the average phone user.
It's in this section of the market that the Sony Xperia XA1 lies. Though it might be the less-powerful sibling of the Sony Xperia XZ Premium, it's still a capable handset in its own right thanks to its powerful camera, 3GB of RAM and Android 7.0 operating system. Paired with its accessible price tag, this provides plenty of reason to consider the Sony Xperia XA1 when shopping for your next smartphone.
- Boxy design is distinct but may not appeal to everyone
- Android 8.0 update brings a slew of handy new features
- 23MP rear camera provides a significant edge on similarly priced handsets
- Wide-angle lenses make group shots easier
- Decent hardware places the Xperia XA1 smack bang in the centre of the mid-range pack
- Shouldn't have any issues delivering a responsive experience in day-to-day use
- 2,300mAh is a little on the low side for a mid-range handset
- Quick charging support minimises your downtime
Pricing and availability
Sony Xperia XA1
More camera than smartphone
Unleash your inner photographer with the Sony Xperia XA1 and its sharp 23MP camera.
- The Sony Xperia XA1 is currently available for around $300 at online retailers like Kogan.
Sony Xperia XA1 specs
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1280 x 720|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||294|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,300|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||23|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Sony Xperia XA1
Latest Sony news