Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones review
Quick verdict: Sony’s WH-1000XM4 headphones are the best noise-cancelling over-ear wireless headphones money can buy.
- Excellent noise-cancellation
- Can be paired with two devices at the same time
- Speak-to-chat feature is surprisingly useful
- No battery life improvements
- Not cheap
- 360 Reality Audio is only compatible with a few streaming services
Sony's highly anticipated 4th generation noise-cancelling wireless WH-1000XM4 headphones are now available. While they have the same look as Sony's previous on-ear headphones, they're packed full of new features.
- Comfortable and secure
- On-ear controls are intuitive to use
- Looks virtually indistinguishable from previous Sony headphones
- Connects to two devices at the same time
- Offers top of market noise-cancellation
- You can let in ambient noise with Adaptive Sound Control and Speak-to-Chat features
- 360 Reality Audio is impressive but has limited application
- Up to 30 hours of listening with noise-cancellation
- Offers 10-minute quick charge
Should you buy the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones?
- Buy it if you want one of the best pairs of headphones money can buy.
- Don't buy it if you don't want to spend $549.95. There are plenty of high-quality headphones on the market with a much cheaper price tag.
The Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones have quickly become my favourite pair of over-ear headphones, and my daily go-to headphones for working from home. However, they're not cheap.
If you're looking for a pair of comfortable, high-quality noise-cancelling headphones, and don't want to pay the high asking price of $549.95, Sony's 3rd generation noise-cancelling headphones are still excellent. You can get the WH-1000XM3 headphones for $399.
Pricing and availability
Where to buy
Images: Sarah Brandon