Sony announces PlayStation smartphone integration with PlayLink
Social experiences are the focus with a range of new party games.
Sony revealed a new social games initiative prior to its E3 press conference this afternoon. Dubbed PlayLink, the program focuses on social experiences that use smartphones instead of traditional controllers. These games look to take a lot of inspiration from the Jackbox Party games, with an aim of bringing in people who don't normally play video games.The first game Sony showed off was Hidden Agenda, a crime thriller from the makers of Until Dawn. Like Until Dawn, the decisions you make will change the way the story unfolds, but this time you'll be able to play with your friends using the PlayLink feature. Players will vote on critical choices using their smartphones, with the game giving different players hidden agendas they need to complete behind their companions' backs. That's You! was the second PlayLink game shown off, and it looks to offer a more traditional social experience directly comparable to the Jackbox games. Players will take wacky photos of each other, draw doodles on their smartphones, answer truth-or-dare-style questions, and play a number of other light-hearted mini-games intended to create a more social experience accessible to non-gamers.
That's You! will be free for PlayStation Plus members when it releases on July 4.
We'll be covering E3 all week. You can follow along with us by checking out our guide on how to watch all the E3 2017 live streams, or catch up on all the news and announcements from the show at our E3 2017 hub.
- E3 2017: Microsoft showed four times more games this year
- E3 2017 by the numbers: 55% more gameplay on show than E3 2016
- E3 2017 by the numbers: The Age of Exclusivity is coming to an end
- E3 2016 vs E3 2017: 60% increase in new IP reveals at E3 2017
- 49 games shown at E3 2017 slated to release this year
- Seagate confirms FireCuda 530 is PlayStation 5 ready
- ASUS ROG Flow X13 GV301 review: Come for the portability, stay for the graphics power
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503 review: Breaking the rules of gaming laptops
- How to redeem your PS5 Apple TV+ 6-month free trial in Australia
- Click Frenzy™ Julove: How to score a Playstation 5 for $6