7 places to find the most epic solo USA tours
The tour companies offering the most extensive and adventurous tours of the US for single travellers.
Going to The States on your own is an adventure of a lifetime – especially when you get to travel with like-minded strangers who have the potential to turn into lifelong friends and future travel buddies. It’s happened before, trust us.
From the star-studded city of Los Angeles to the bright lights of New York City and everywhere in between, we’ve rounded up the best tour operators that will take single travellers through the highlights of the United States and beyond.
Renowned for its fun and adventurous spirit, Contiki offers a wide variety of tours for 18-35 year olds throughout the USA, with some tacking on a bonus trip to Canada.
- Travel styles: Discovery, high energy, easy pace, in-depth, festivals and short stays.
- Tour lengths: 3-55 days.
- Most epic tour: Epic Adventure. It’s a 55-day grand tour of the USA and Canada that takes you through five World Heritage Sites including the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls.
Go to Contiki website
View coupon code for Contiki
3. Topdeck via TourRadar
Popular for providing unforgettable adventures for 18-39 year olds throughout the world, if you’re looking to discover the USA with a slightly different crowd from Contiki, but still in your age bracket, Topdeck can sort you out.
- Travel styles: Sightseeing, cultural, adventure, festivals and activities.
- Tour lengths: 3-80 days.
- Most epic tour: American Beauty. Covering over 33 destinations in the US, this whirlwind tour starts in Los Angeles and finishes either in San Francisco or back in LA (your choice). In it, you’ll visit New Mexico, New Orleans, Texas, Florida and more.
Go to Topdeck via TourRadar website
View coupon code for Topdeck via TourRadar
4. G Adventures
From cultural encounters to landscape treks, G Adventures offers unique, all-encompassing tours of the USA that range from short loops to large overland expeditions. Many are styled “Yolo” meaning they’re designed for youths on a shoestring budget.
- Travel styles: Classic and Yolo.
- Tour lengths: 7-44 days.
- Most epic tour: Best of the USA. Featuring possibly the most epic loop we’ve seen to date, the Best of the USA doesn’t fuss around with neighbouring countries but instead takes you to San Francisco, Austin, New Orleans, Memphis, Washington DC, New York Ci
Go to G Adventures website
View coupon code for G Adventures
5. Flight Centre
For some of the best tours for solo travellers, turn to one of the best names in the business. Flight Centre can take you from one end of the nation to the other – and help organise your flights and accommodation to boot.
- Travel styles: Sightseeing, cultural, entertainment, adventure.
- Tour lengths: 1-63 days.
- Most epic tour: Trailblazer. Blitz your way through the USA with this 63-day wander through the country. Organised by tour company Adventure World, discover New York, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Colorado and San Francisco in this small group tour
Go to Flight Centre website
View coupon code for Flight Centre
6. Trafalgar via TourRadar
Trafalgar prides itself on providing high-quality tours for all ages. Its tours are often quite specific, in order to meet your travel needs.
- Travel styles: Historical, sightseeing, cultural, independent.
- Tour lengths: 8-27 days.
- Most epic tour: Historic Highlights. This eight-day tour is short but filled with the historical highlights of Washington DC, Jamestown, Williamsburg, Charlottesburg, Gettysburg and Philadelphia.
Go to Trafalgar via TourRadar website
View coupon code for Trafalgar via TourRadar
Top deals on USA tours
New York City from $883 return
Valid on select dates in March from Sydney and April until August from Brisbane and Melbourne. Sample fares from Sydney are $883 return, Brisbane from $1,113 return, Melbourne from $1,104 return.
Up to 30% off last-minute USA and Canada tours
Valid on select tours departing until 16 January. Includes California Highlights, Southern Adventure, Western Highlights and Eastern Discovery.
Save up to 50% on sightseeing
Pick up a CityPass for deep discounts on attractions worldwide
Gain entry to 25+ New Orleans attractions with one pass
See the best of New Orleans for less with a New Orleans Power Pass
Universal Studios Hollywood: Two days for price of one
Get two days for the price of one.
$20 off Go Los Angeles Card purchased of $300 or more
Spend $300 or more on a Los Angeles card and sign up for the newsletter for $20 off.
5% off any Boston, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Washington, Orlando, Go-Card All-Inclusive and Explorer Pass
Get 5% off any Boston, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Washington, Orlando, Go-Card All-Inclusive and Explorer Pass. Sign up for the Smart Destinations newsletter to receive the discount.
Feature image: Contiki