Seeing the other side of the world on your own? These tour companies will make your solo travel unforgettable.
Europe is a melting pot of culture and history. It’s the pilgrimage that every traveller should take at least once in their lives to soak up the sun of the Mediterranean, walk cobblestoned alleys in Italy, drink a cheap-as-chips beer in Eastern Europe, see a play in London’s West End and ski in the Alps.
If you’re running the excuse that you have no one to go with, take a gander at these tour companies and their offerings. These are the tours where like-minded travellers can come together to explore and have fun, where singles can mingle with the rest of the group and where solo supplements are available if you need your own space.
One of Contiki’s taglines is “no regrets”. Live by the fun and youthful tour company’s motto and dive straight into adventure with Contiki’s vast array of European tours. Each and every one is perfect for the solo traveller.
- Offers tours to over 40 European countries
- 102 unique itineraries to choose from
- ME Time is offered on many itineraries, which lets you tweak your tour to do the things you want to do
Whether you want to sail the crystal blue waters of the Mediterranean, or scale the heights of the monasteries of Meteora (pictured), Topdeck does it all for youths who are on a budget.
- Tours are for 18-39 year olds
- Tours available from 7-49 days
The beauty of Intrepid is that it offers the fun and adventure that Topdeck and Contiki offer, only without the age restriction. You’re likely to find a more mature bunch on an Intrepid tour, and that might be exactly how you like it.
- Tour themes include sailing, food, festivals, cycling, walking and trekking and urban adventures
- Small group tours, generally with a maximum of 12 or 16 people
- Physical and cultural ratings on each tour
4. G Adventures
Whether you want to explore one city in-depth or blitz through a number of them on a whirlwind European tour, G Adventure offers a wide range of tours across the continent.
- Travel styles range from classic and local living, to active and YOLO
- Solo travellers are not charged extra so long as they bunk in a group share
- Choose “My Own Room” during booking for a single supplement option
5. Geckos Adventures
This tour company offers adventurous trips throughout the world for 18 to 30-something year olds. All their tours aim to help, not hinder, the environments visited.
- One-day “Urban Adventure” trips available. These could be anything from a local food and wine tour of Venice to a beer tour of Prague.
- Small group travel with an average of nine people per tour
- Tours include local experiences like homestays and eating street food
Those who like to hop-on and hop-off as they move will love Busabout. It lets you build your own trip around Europe using set bus routes. Alternatively, you can hop onto one of its set tours.
- Tours include hot festival events like Oktoberfest and Tomatina
- Tours are for 18-70 year olds
- Flexible hop-on, hop-off network of buses and tours
Founded in 1947, Trafalgar has over 70 years of experience guiding travellers around the world. Its VIP-access to selected sites makes these tours truly unique experiences.
- Dine with the locals
- Solo travellers up to 80 years old are welcome
- Travel style is mainly in-depth cultural tours
Offering one of the widest selections of tours online, TourRadar works with select operators, including small local companies, to help you see the world for the best price.
- Instant booking for some tours
- Most tours offer cultural or adventure experiences
- All tours are verified by customer reviews
Peregrine prides itself on providing premium, insider guides for each of its destinations. All guides are locals, all tours are small and all accommodation is handpicked for quality and service.
- Small group tours have an average of nine people per tour
- Private travel tours can be organised
- A considered pace of travel is kept throughout each tour to allow you to immerse yourself in the experience
Which companies offer no single supplement tours?
|Company||Is a single supplement required for solo travellers?|
|Contiki||No, but available if requested.|
|Intrepid||No, but available if requested.|
|G Adventures||No, but available if requested.|
|Geckos Adventures||No, but available on some tours if requested.|
|Trafalgar||No, but available if requested.|
|TourRadar||Varies by tour operator.|
|Peregrine||No, but available if requested.|
Hot deals on European travel
Feature image: Contiki