Smart Payroll Australia
Simple, automated payroll software that accurately calculates and processes business and staff payments.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
SmartPayroll assists small to medium sized businesses in managing their entire payroll process, ensuring employees and contractors are paid correctly and on time.
In this guide we'll cover the key features and costs, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of SmartPayroll's software in order to help you decide if it's the right choice for your business.
Launched in New Zealand in 2004, this payroll software company aims to deliver accurate and up-to-date remuneration tools and support via its automated payments system. SmartPayroll works with over 10,000 clients across Australia and New Zealand.
How does it work?
SmartPayroll utilises two mobile apps – one for the business and one for its staff. Business owners can implement set-and-forget pay runs which will automatically deliver payments to employees, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), superannuation funds and more.
You can also approve leave and a relatively new feature allows employers to track specific project hours and associated labour costs. The employee app manages time sheets, maintains leave balances and retains payslips.
The SmartPayroll team also provides free one-to-one training to assist companies in setting up their new software and will perpetually offer troubleshooting support.
How much does SmartPayroll cost?
For monthly employee payments, business owners pay $3.50 per person per summary. If you were to pay employees fortnightly the fee would increase to $7.58, while weekly payments are charged at $15.17 per summary. There's an ongoing service fee of $30.00 per month, plus a one-off setup fee of $150.00 for up to 10 employees. If you have more than 10 payees, this fee may be higher.
What features can you expect using SmartPayroll?
- One-touch payments. Enjoy an uncomplicated, transparent and secure payroll experience. Automate regular payments, tax returns and set reminder notifications from wherever you are via the SmartPayroll app.
- Simplified system. When you complete your payroll process your employee's PAYG withholding and super guarantee information will be sent to the ATO at the same time. You will also be informed of changes to salary figures and bank accounts.
- Software integrations and industry-specific components. Connect to your favourite accounting solutions and set up the type of payment reports that match your business and industry.
- Payroll experts. Receive knowledge, training and advise on everything from payroll tax to termination and redundancy payments.
Pros and cons
- Partnered with major banks, including Australia's Big Four
- No annual fees and straightforward pricing structures
- Free updates, automatic backups and Helpdesk feature
- A one-time setup fee applies to new customers
- Difficult to source reviews and customer experiences
- Cheaper options available
Alternatives to Smart Payroll Australia
If Smart Payroll Australia doesn't sound like a fit for your business, it's worth considering alternatives.
SmartPayroll is an efficient software solution for small to medium sized businesses. They process more than $2 billion annually, including payments from clients such as Bakers Delight, Allianz Global Assistance, The Coffee Club and Subway. Your business can benefit from a reduced paper trail, payroll reports, job costing analysis, security features, ongoing support and affordable fees.
Both the business owner and employee apps are easy to use and navigate and the Payroll Angels offer excellent customer service. SmartPayroll is ATO-compliant and has been used and/or referred by over 1,000 accountants and bookkeepers.
Ask an Expert