Smart Payroll Australia
Simple, automated payroll software that accurately calculates and processes business and staff payments.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
SmartPayroll assists small to medium sized businesses in managing their entire payroll process, ensuring employees and contractors are paid correctly and on time.
In this guide we'll cover the key features and costs, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of SmartPayroll's software in order to help you decide if it's the right choice for your business.
Launched in New Zealand in 2004, this payroll software company aims to deliver accurate and up-to-date remuneration tools and support via its automated payments system. SmartPayroll works with over 10,000 clients across Australia and New Zealand.
How does it work?
SmartPayroll utilises two mobile apps – one for the business and one for its staff. Business owners can implement set-and-forget pay runs which will automatically deliver payments to employees, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), superannuation funds and more.
You can also approve leave and a relatively new feature allows employers to track specific project hours and associated labour costs. The employee app manages time sheets, maintains leave balances and retains payslips.
The SmartPayroll team also provides free one-to-one training to assist companies in setting up their new software and will perpetually offer troubleshooting support.
How much does SmartPayroll cost?
For monthly employee payments, business owners pay $3.50 per person per summary. If you were to pay employees fortnightly the fee would increase to $7.58, while weekly payments are charged at $15.17 per summary. There's an ongoing service fee of $30.00 per month, plus a one-off setup fee of $150.00 for up to 10 employees. If you have more than 10 payees, this fee may be higher.
What features can you expect using SmartPayroll?
- One-touch payments. Enjoy an uncomplicated, transparent and secure payroll experience. Automate regular payments, tax returns and set reminder notifications from wherever you are via the SmartPayroll app.
- Simplified system. When you complete your payroll process your employee's PAYG withholding and super guarantee information will be sent to the ATO at the same time. You will also be informed of changes to salary figures and bank accounts.
- Software integrations and industry-specific components. Connect to your favourite accounting solutions and set up the type of payment reports that match your business and industry.
- Payroll experts. Receive knowledge, training and advise on everything from payroll tax to termination and redundancy payments.
Pros and cons
- Partnered with major banks, including Australia's Big Four
- No annual fees and straightforward pricing structures
- Free updates, automatic backups and Helpdesk feature
- A one-time setup fee applies to new customers
- Difficult to source reviews and customer experiences
- Cheaper options available
Alternatives to Smart Payroll Australia
If Smart Payroll Australia doesn't sound like a fit for your business, it's worth considering alternatives.
SmartPayroll is an efficient software solution for small to medium sized businesses. They process more than $2 billion annually, including payments from clients such as Bakers Delight, Allianz Global Assistance, The Coffee Club and Subway. Your business can benefit from a reduced paper trail, payroll reports, job costing analysis, security features, ongoing support and affordable fees.
Both the business owner and employee apps are easy to use and navigate and the Payroll Angels offer excellent customer service. SmartPayroll is ATO-compliant and has been used and/or referred by over 1,000 accountants and bookkeepers.
More guides on Finder
Learn about the key features of Workful, a payroll software that's tailored to meet the needs of small and growing enterprises.
How to start an accounting business
Find out what you need to know before starting an accounting business.
How to start an auto mechanic business
How to start an Auto Mechanic Business from scratch, from the equipment, licences to the skills you’ll need.
How to start a market research business
Learn the basics of launching a market research business and tap into the high demand for critical market data.
How to start a delivery business
The skills, equipment and legal documents needed to start a delivery business.
How to start a home cooking business
Follow this ultimate recipe for how to start your cooking business.
Free End User Licence Agreement templates (Australia)
Find out how to protect your software with an End User Licence Agreement.
Find out if OnPay could be the right payroll platform for your company.
We take a closer look at the features and pricing of payroll platform Gusto — is it the right choice for your business?
Is SurePayroll the right online payroll provider for your business? Check out our review to find out more.
Ask an Expert