Sliding Door Repair Service
Hire a specialist to get your sliding door working as good as new.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
A broken sliding door doesn't always call for a replacement. More often than not, a sliding door repair is as easy as cleaning out the tracks or replacing the rollers.
If you're not sure where to start, you can call in a professional to do the job. Here's the low-down on what you can expect from a sliding door repair service.
What is a sliding door repair service?
A sliding door repair service can help you to fix any sliding doors that might need a little TLC. As well as interior bypass doors, pocket sliding doors and sliding french doors, you'll also be able to find a patio sliding door repair service if it suits your needs.
What does a sliding door repair service do?
A sliding door repair service will tend to your door's every need, whether it's a quick fix or something a little more complex. Here are a few common procedures that a serviceman can carry out for you:
- Repairing or replacing the rollers. Damaged or misaligned rollers will cause your sliding door to stop working as it should. First of all, your handyman will check to see if the rollers can be repaired. If not, they'll replace all of the rollers to ensure that the door fits flush in its frame.
- Cleaning or replacing the tracks. If your sliding door doesn't have that same glide that it used to, the most likely culprit is a clogged up track. Your serviceman will clean out the tracks and apply a lubricant to aid the movement of the door. If the tracks have been misshapen in any way, they may choose to replace the track completely.
- Replacing the door. In some cases where the door is beyond repair, your serviceman may recommend a complete door replacement. This will usually include a general clean of the tracks too.
How do I book a sliding door repair service?
Finding a sliding door repair service near you shouldn't be too difficult. Nowadays, most local companies advertise their services online and can be booked at the touch of a button or with a quick phone call.
How much does a sliding door repair cost?
To carry out a sliding door repair, a serviceman will normally charge an hourly rate. It's difficult to specify the exact hourly rate that they will charge you as this varies from location to location and from company to company. Generally, you may expect to pay between $40 and $50 per hour for a basic service.
How do I compare sliding door repair services?
It's best practice to call around and get a few quotes for the job before you settle on one. As well the price, this will allow you to compare the companies based on the following factors:
- Insurance. Is the workman insured on your property?
- Guarantee. Does the company offer a warranty period if the repair breaks a few days down the line?
- Service. What exactly is included as part of the service?
- Reviews. does the company have a good reputation around town, or through credible online reviews?
- Price. does the price seem fair in comparison with other quotes?
How should I prepare for a sliding door repair?
Preparing for a sliding door repair is a relatively simple procedure. Make sure that there are no obstacles in the way of the door that needs to be fixed, and ensure that the serviceman will be able to access the door easily.
How long does a sliding door repair take?
Depending on the complexity of the repairs, a sliding door repair can take between one and four hours to complete. For easier repairs, it can even take less than an hour to get your sliding door back in working order.
What to consider when booking a sliding door repair?
If you're thinking about booking a sliding door repair, you'll need to consider whether your door needs to be repaired or if it needs to be replaced completely. Once you've decided on the type of service you need, make sure you choose a reliable company that offers a fair price.
Do I need to be present for a sliding door repair?
You don't have to be at home for a sliding door repair, but you will need to make arrangements for the serviceman to access your property. You may also want to be there to oversee that the job is carried out correctly.
Pros and cons of a sliding door repair
- Saves on the costs of repairing the whole door.
- You can spend your time doing other things.
- A properly fitted sliding door can help to insulate your house better.
- Can be more expensive than fixing it yourself.
- Sometimes, choosing the right sliding door repair service for you can be time-consuming.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do sliding doors need servicing?
Yes. Like most things that you use regularly, it's always worth having your sliding doors serviced. This will make sure you don't run into any problems down the line, causing your sliding door not to work as it should. How often you decide to service your sliding doors depends on how much you use them.
Are old sliding doors worth servicing?
When you book a sliding door repair service, you need to weigh up whether it's worth paying for the work to be done, or to replace a door completely. Sliding doors do have a lifespan of around 30 years, especially if you have them regularly maintained.
Can I service my sliding door myself, or should I hire a professional?
There are some servicing tasks that you can keep on top of yourself throughout the year, such as cleaning the track regularly to remove any dirt or debris. For other, slightly more involved jobs, you'll probably want to call in a professional, especially if you lack the necessary experience to do the job correctly.
More guides on finder
Free solvency resolution templates (Australia)
Find out what you'll need to know about filing a solvency resolution.
How to invest in the MyDeal IPO
The online retailer is expected to raise $40 million as it launches onto the ASX. Here's what you need to know.
Artificial turf installation services
How to find and book a quality artificial turf installation service.
Dog Door Installation Services
Give your pooch the freedom to come and go as they please by installing a dog door.
Online first aid courses in Australia
Be prepared to help in any situation. Here's what you need to know about taking an online first aid course.
How to invest in the Adore Beauty IPO
Everything you need to know about Australia's biggest IPO of 2020.
Mattress Removal Services
Here's what to consider if you'd like to hire someone to get rid of your mattress.
Tent Repair Services
A tent repair service can be a quick and cost-effective option if you find yourself with broken equipment.
Excavator contractor services
Hiring an earthmoving contractor service doesn’t have to be complicated; we’ll show you all you need to know.
RSA courses online in Australia
Everything you need to know about landing a job that requires the service of alcohol. Here’s how you can get your RSA online.
Ask an Expert