From the best Wanaka holiday accommodation options, to the best slopes to shred, here’s what you need to know about skiing the area.
Dubbed one of the world’s best ski towns by National Geographic, Wanaka is a major ski destination on New Zealand’s south island.
Sitting an hour’s drive from Queenstown Airport, Wanaka’s got three major resorts to choose from: two alpine resorts, Cardrona and Treble Cone, and one cross-country resort, Snow Farm. The area is well-known for it’s heliskiing, but it’s also an ideal destination for beginners
Best Wanaka holiday accommodation options
Wanaka is the home-base for those skiing in the area. However, Cardrona and Snow Farm both offer accommodation options, which could be an ideal option for those hoping to spend a few days at each ski area.
There’s no accommodation between Treble Cone and Wanaka, so if you’re planning on skiing or snowboarding there, your best bet is to stay in Wanaka.
Wanaka holiday accommodation
Wanaka accommodation for families or groups
Snow Farm accommodation
Where is each area compared to Wanaka?
- Cardrona: 35-minute drive (34 kilometres) from Wanaka
- Treble Cone: 35-minute drive (29 kilometres) from Wanaka
- Snow Farm: 40-minute drive (33 kilometres) from Wanaka
Cardrona trail map
Back to top
Treble Cone trail map
Snow Farm trail map
Images: Snow FarmBack to top
Where to get ski hire in Wanaka
If you don't own ski equipment, or want to avoid the hassle of flying with your gear, here's a list of the places you can hire ski equipment in Wanaka and what each retailer offer.
- BaseNZ: Ski and snowboard equipment, plus apparel for sale. 20% discount when you rent for six days or longer, 10% discount when you rent for four or five days. 22 Helwick Street, Wanaka, New Zealand
- Green Toad: Ski and snowboard gear, helmets, toboggans, outerwear. 6 Pembroke Mall, Wanaka Waterfront, Wanaka, New Zealand
- SnoPro: Ski and snowboard gear, helmets, outerwear. 15% discount when you rent five days or longer, 10% discount when you book at least seven days in advance. Delivery service
Looking for the best deals for a trip to Wanaka?
- ALSO READ: Everything you need to know about skiing in New Zealand
- ALSO READ: Best snow deals for this ski season
- ALSO READ: Top online stores to buy ski gear
Feature image: Lake Wanaka Tourism