Tick skiing on an active volcano off your bucket list and find the perfect Turoa and Whakapapa accommodation to complete your snow trip.
Mount Ruapehu is New Zealand’s largest active volcano and also home to the two largest commercial ski areas in the North Island.
Whakapapa sits on the northwestern slopes, and is home to New Zealand’s largest beginner area, Happy Valley. On the southwestern slopes, Turoa’s unique treeless terrain is some of the country’s finest. Turoa also boasts Australasia’s longest vertical descent and chairlift, the High Noon Express.
Both ski resorts usually run from late June to end of October - making it New Zealand’s longest-running ski season.
Best Mt Ruapehu ski accommodation options
Where is each ski area?
- Whakapapa: 1 hour 25 minutes drive (104 kilometres) from Taupo; 4 hours 30 minutes drive (346 kilometres) from Auckland
- Turoa: 2 hours drive (150 kilometres) from Taupo; 5 hour drive (377 kilometres) from Auckland
Whakapapa trail map
Turoa trail map
Where to get ski hire at Mt Ruapehu
The most convenient way to get ski hire would be at the on-mountain rental shops at the Whakapapa and Turoa ski areas. Alternatively, you can get your equipment from ski shops at the Tongariro National Park.
- Whakapapa and Turoa Ski Areas: Both ski areas offer a comprehensive list of skis and snowboards, clothing, helmets and other safety gear and also toboggans.
- Ski Biz: Gear and clothing hire at competitive prices, plus waxing and edging services. 10 Carroll St National Park Village
- Snowzone @ Roy Turner Ski and Board Shop: Snowzone offers ski and snowboard hire, tuning and a range of high-quality ski gear. There are a variety of rental packages available and also a special "regulars" package.25-27 Buddo St, National Park Village
Feature image: Whakapapa
Looking for deals on accommodation, flights and more?
Up to 10% off flights within Australia
Valid on economy, premium economy and business-class fares booked at least 20 days in advance. Available on select flights within Australia.
Show code & visit siteCL****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code