Hit the slopes by day and stargaze at night when you stay at Lake Tekapo.
Skiers and snowboarders flock to the quaint town of Lake Tekapo during winter as it’s the nearest gateway to Mt Cook Mackenzie ski fields, including Roundhill and Mount Dobson.
Roundhill is ideal for families, beginners and intermediate skiers and is home to the world’s longest and steepest rope tow. If you fancy an off-piste challenge, M Mount Dobson’s untouched powder terrains are the place to go.
Best Lake Tekapo accommodation options
Mt Dobson accommodation
Where is each ski area located?
- Tekapo: 38 minutes drive (32 kilometres)
- Christchurch: 3 hours and 30 minutes drive (260 kilometres)
- Queenstown: 3 hours and 40 minutes drive (289 kilometres)
- Tekapo: 48 minutes drive (59 kilometres)
- Christchurch: 2 hours 30 minutes drive (186 kilometres)
- Queenstown: 3 hours 30 minutes drive (330 kilometres)
Roundhill mountain facts:
Vertical: 783 metres
Skiable terrain: 550 hectares
Trail breakdown: 20% beginner, 45% intermediate, 35% advanced
Number of terrain parks: 1
Ski season dates: Opening 1 July 2017
Roundhill trail map
Mt Dobson mountain facts:
Vertical: 415 metres
Skiable terrain: 400 hectares
Trail breakdown: 25% beginner, 50% intermediate, 25% advanced
Number of terrain parks: None
Ski season dates: TBA
Mt Dobson trail map
Images: Mt Dobson
Where to get ski hire in Lake Tekapo
There are no shops in Lake Tekapo that offer ski hire. Alternatives would be renting ski equipment from the ski resorts themselves or pick them up at the nearest town of Fairlie, about 30 minutes’ drive (41 kilometres) east of Tekapo. Fairlie is along the way if you’re coming in from Christchurch.
- Roundhill Ski Area: Roundhill offers more than 350 sets of ski and snowboard equipment for all ages. You can also rent a snow toboggan for children. Roundhill Ski Area PO Box 138 Lake Tekapo New Zealand
- Mount Dobson Ski Area: Get your tickets, lift passes, lessons and equipment hire all under one roof at the Mount Dobson ski area. They also offer clothing, wrist guards, helmets and children sizes. 30 Alloway St, Fairlie 7925
- Ski Shack, Fairlie: For snow chains, skis, snowboards or snow equipment and clothing hire, head to Ski Shack which is a 30-minute drive from Tekapo. 85a Main Street Fairlie 7925
Looking for travel deals to the Lake Tekapo area?
Feature Image: Roundhill