Suncorp provides a versatile online platform that lets you buy and sell shares easily, so you can keep your investments under a single umbrella.
Suncorp Bank began operations in 1902. Now, the Suncorp Group has more than nine million customers, over 15,000 employees and in excess of $95 billion in assets. It is amongst the top 20 Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) listed companies.
In Australia, its offerings include solutions from realms such as personal banking, small and medium enterprise banking, commercial lending and agribusiness banking.
If you wish to trade in shares as part of your investment strategy you can consider opening a Suncorp Share Trade account. CMC Markets Stockbroking Limited provides this service. Along with Suncorp’s investor directed portfolio service, term deposits and superannuation, this gives you the ability to keep all your investments in a single place.
What can I trade with Suncorp?
If you’re hoping to reap benefits by dealing in shares as part of your investment strategy, Suncorp Share Trade can help keep things simple. This platform gives you access to a range of trading tools along with educational and analytical resource material.
Suncorp Share Trade lets you invest in shares listed on the ASX. You get access to market information and company share prices in real-time. The online platform lets you create watch lists of shares you have or wish to track. It also lets you access important events such as IPO listing, reporting and ex-dividend dates.
You can use the Suncorp Share Trade platform to invest in mFunds. These are Australian unlisted managed funds that the mFund settlement service operated by ASX Limited settles. ASX makes use of CHESS, the electronic settlement system used for ASX listed securities, to record all mFund units. As is the case with shares, Suncorp Share Trade uses your Holder Identification Number (HIN) to settle mFund units. This brings your mFund investments under a unified investment portfolio.
You can get a margin loan through Suncorp to invest in shares and managed funds. You borrow this money against security provided by your investment portfolio, which can include shares, managed funds as well as savings.Back to top
What are the best things about Suncorp share trading?
- You get free market data and research. You can login to the Suncorp Share Trade platform at any time to access dynamic charting and live prices. You can also go through a number of analytical material and trading webinars to gain relevant knowledge and further your expertise.
- You can access your account from almost any device. You can access your account from any Internet enabled computer, smartphone or tablet, using the Suncorp Internet Banking or Share Trade platforms. You get to send your buying and selling instructions directly to the ASX. You can view and print your portfolio and statement history using the online platform. If you wish, you can receive price and company news alerts via email or SMS.
- You have a wide range of products. Through the linked order system you can make use of stop loss and take profit orders. By linking these to buy orders you can sell your shares at strategic times to lock-in profits or to limit the downside.
- You also get Home Package Plus benefits. If you’re an existing Suncorp Home Package Plus customer, you would be eligible for discounted brokerage rates.
- Link your new or existing Wealth Cash Management Account. By linking your Share Trade account with a Wealth Cash Management Account you can look forward to seamless trading. The money in this account earns interest. You can get a linked Visa debit or transaction card as well.
What support and information is available with Suncorp?
Suncorp does not offer different service levels based on how much or how little you invest. As a result, you would get the same level of service as any other Suncorp Share Trade customer.
If you have any question about your Share Trade account, you can get in touch with a Trading Room expert over the phone. You can also send the Trading Room team a fax or an email. You have to direct queries about margin lending to a different department.
To look for required forms and documents, simply visit the Share Trade website. This website lets you go through answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. The website does not offer a live chat platform. However, you can consider walking into your nearest Suncorp branch to have your questions answered.Back to top
What are the fees associated when using Suncorp?
While opening a Suncorp Share Trade account is free, you’ll have to pay fees from time to time. This is what the fee structure looks like.
Fees you can avoid
- There are no account keeping fees. You don’t have to pay any ongoing account keeping fees.
- Free alert fees. Browser alerts are free. Email alerts attract a $0.11 fee per alert, which increases to a $0.22 fee per SMS alert.
Fees you can't avoid
- Brokerage fees apply. An online trade of up to $10,000 attracts a fee of $21.95. If the online trade is from $10,000 to $25,000, the brokerage fee is $29.95. For large online trades, over $25,000, a 0.12% fee applies. For an over-the-phone trade of up to $15,000, you’ll have to pay a fee of $49.94. For phone trades over $15,000, a fee of 0.33% applies.
What are the good and bad points for using Suncorp for my next trade?
- Link to your Suncorp account for instant transfers. When you link your Suncorp Share Trade with a Wealth Cash Management Account you can look forward to seamless settling of trades. With funds available at any time, you can carry out transactions as and when you like.
- Keep investments under one roof. Suncorp lets you invest your money in different ways. These include term deposits as well as a range of managed funds. By turning to Suncorp for investing in shares, you can keep all your investments in a single place.
- You get easy access to your investments. You can access your Share Trade account online from anywhere in the world. All you need is access to a compatible Internet enabled computing device.
And the bad
- Limited investments. Unlike many service providers that let you trade shares, the platform does not let you invest in International shares, bonds, floats, options and futures.
- Can only trade in the ASX. The Suncorp Share Trade platform only lets you invest in Australian shares. These include shares of ASX listed companies as well as unlisted managed funds.
What you need to know about the application process for Suncorp
You can apply for a Suncorp Share Trade account online. This will take you to the secure Share Trade website. If you don’t wish to apply online, you can download an application, complete it, and send it over via mail or fax. You can open an account as an individual, as a joint applicant, as a company or as a formal trust.
To apply, you should be an Australian resident and over 18 years of age. The application should take no more than five to 10 minutes to complete, provided you have all the required information close at hand.
Help! I have some more questions
How much time after completing my application can I start trading?
Your account should ideally open on the same day you apply. Once this happens, you can start trading online or over the phone immediately.
Can I change my contact details online?
Unfortunately, you cannot. To make changes to your contact details you can to download the Change of Details form, complete it, and send it over via fax or mail.
Where does Suncorp get its research and business news from?
Aspect Huntley provides Suncorp with its company research. The sources of its business news include Dow Jones Newswires and FutureSource.