Australians of all financial shapes and sizes can appreciate the wealth building opportunities of Morrison Pty Limited.
Formerly a part of the ING Group under the name BBL Financial Services Limited, Morrison Securities Pty Limited became a participating organisation of the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX Group) in 1985. This is an execution only broker, providing a trading platform and margin lending to investors of all sizes.
With Morrison Pty Limited you will find a range of services that meet every need. In addition to margin lending, you can access equities, day trading and options all from a convenient portal. The rates and fees charged for these activities are competitive for the market, and will be based on the type of transaction and dollar amount.
What can I trade with my Morrison share trading account?
Members of Morrison Securities Pty Limited are able to invest their money in any one, or combination of, the following wealth building opportunities:
You can invest in equities as a day trader, through your internet trading platform or over the phone. One-off sale or deceased estate equity investments are also permitted. Fees for each transaction are dependent on the amount of money you are investing and the method used.
A flat rate of $25 is charged if your day trading transaction is below $83,300. For investments in day trading above that amount you will be charged 0.03% of the trade value.
The way in which you are holding your funds will determine the fees charged for option investments. For those using a linked Macquarie or Adelaide Bank cash management account, you will pay $5 more for each transaction than if you are holding your funds inside of a Morrison Securities Trust Account.
One-Off or deceased estates
With this type of transaction you are charged a $50 brokerage fee for transactions under $50,000. Larger transactions will pay 0.10% of the value of the transaction.
You will also be asked to participate in a monthly subscription package for online trading. This is a free service if you are making ten or more transactions a month, but $100 monthly if you fall under that amount.Back to top
What are the benefits of using Morrison share trading?
Easy online access
Morrison provides a user friendly online platform that facilitates all of your trade activity. You can also make trades over the phone, which will be initiated while you are still on the line. Active traders can also download an app for an iPhone or Android device that allows you to view your portfolio see your cash holdings at any time. There is a fee to subscribe for the app service, but it is provided for free as a part of the IRESS Professional subscription.
While you have the capability to enlist margin lending through a provider of your choice, Morrison Securities can also link Leveraged to your investment account. Not only does this service allow you to extend your investment opportunities, they provide you with expert advice on the market and counsel you on the best ways to grow your wealth based on your circumstance.
Linked cash management account
You can hold your own cash management account with Morrison, which will enable you to get discounts on certain trading options. It may also be linked to outside banking accounts if you prefer to keep your investment cash all in one place.
What tiers does Morrison offer?
|IRESS Trader||The basic online trading platform includes:||$100 monthly when you make between 0 to 9 trades. Free when you make 10 trades or more.|
|IRESS Investor||In order to qualify for IRESS Investor you must maintain a minimum balance of $5,000 in your trading account. Features include:||Free|
|IRESS Mobile||This added service gives you access to your account from your cell phone, along with pertinent market information. Also included is:·||$50 for the monthly subscription which is waived when you upgrade to IRESS Professional.|
|IRESS Professional||This package allows you to make an unlimited number of trades across multiple markets. You are also provided with:·||Subscribers pay $1,100 monthly for this service.|
What support and information is available with Morrison?
The amount of market information made readily available to your through your trading platform will be determined by the platform you have subscribed to.
If you prefer, you can also commence a trade over the phone, where calls are answered by a real person who is working the trading desk.
They will be able to place your order immediately while you are still on the phone. There is a $40 brokerage fee when this service is used for a transaction valued below $40,000. Transactions at higher values will be charged 0.10%.
What are the fees associated when using Morrison?
With Morrison you are expected to pay ongoing subscription fees for online access to the platform, along with brokerage fees. Those brokerage fees will also vary depending on the type of investment, value of the transaction and in some instances the account from which you are drawing funds from.
- Internet trading. If you are using funds that are held in a Morrison Securities Trust Account you will pay a brokerage fee of $20 for transactions of under $50,000, $40 when they are less than $100,000 and a percentage of 0.05% on those that exceed that amount. Those fees increase by $10 if drawing from an outside banking account, or 0.01% on higher valued transactions.
- Day trading. For transactions under $83,000 there is a flat brokerage rate of $25. 0.03% of the transaction value is charged for transactions above that amount.
- Phone trading. You will be charged $40 on transactions under $40,000 and 0.10% for any that is higher than that amount.
- One-Off sale or deceased estates. A brokerage fee of $50 is applied for transactions below $50,000 or 0.10% for higher valued transactions.
- Trading platform subscription. In addition to brokerage fees, there are monthly subscription rates applicable depending on the trading platform you choose and in some cases the number of trades you make.
What are the points in favour and against using Morrison for my next trade?
- Competitive rates. The brokerage rates charged by Morrison are competitive with other trading options available to Australians.
- Convenience. The online access to your trading information makes this a convenient company to trade through.
- Phone access. Morrison enables you to make trade transactions over the phone if you are not comfortable trading online.
- Mobile app. The inclusion of a mobile app makes it easy for any trader to stay on top of their investments no matter where they are.
- Linked account. Unless you choose to keep your funds with Morrison, you could find yourself paying higher costs for certain investments.
What you need to know about the application process for Morrison
Morrison provides their application online, although you will need to print it, fill it in, and then send it to the firm before your selected account can be opened. This same application is used for individuals, companies, trusts, and associations. You will also need to provide at least two forms of identification when submitting your application. These could include your:
- Driver’s licence
- Birth certificate
- Citizenship certificate
- Current credit or ATM access card
- Rental agreement
- Social security or pension card
- Public employee, university or TAFE photo ID card
- Public utility notice or,
- Medicare card.
At least on submitted identity document should include your photo. All copies will need to be certified before the application can be processed.