D2MX offers low-cost brokerage and a range of trading options.
D2MX allows Australian investors to trade shares, warrants and exchange traded options on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). With a choice of trading platforms, competitive brokerage fees and a wide range of flexible trading tools, D2MX makes it easy to manage your ASX investments online.
A subsidiary of capital markets and corporate advisory specialist Sequoia Financial Group Ltd, D2MX aims to offer personalised service and the latest technology to all its clients. In addition to personal trading accounts, it also offers institutional and wholesale trading for business customers.
What can I trade with D2MX?
D2MX allows you to trade the following on the ASX:
Buy and sell shares in companies listed on the ASX. You can access up-to-date market data and use charting technology to help you make informed decisions about when to buy and when to sell.
Exchange traded options (ETOs)
You can also execute ETO orders online with D2MX for as little as $26.40 per trade. You can buy call or put options or sell call options.
Warrants are derivatives that are traded on ASX cash markets. They are issued by banks, governments and other institutions.
What are the best things about D2MX share trading?
Up to date market data
- If you choose the free htmlIRESS platform you can only access live market data on request. However, customers who pay for the d2mxIRESS trading platform can access real-time, dynamic market data.
Access to expert research
- htmlIRESS customers can access company earnings data and performance ratios, security charts and company reports for free. Paying d2mxIRESS customers can also take advantage of live market depth, watch lists, company news, an advanced charting engine and a market scanning tool.
Trade online or over the phone
- D2MX customers can place trades online or over the phone. htmlIRESS can be accessed online, while d2mxIRESS customers need to download software to their computer in order to place online trades.
A range of order types and instruments
- As well as one-off buy or sell trades, D2MX customers can place conditional orders at no extra cost. These include limit orders and trailing stop orders.
Can only trade in the ASX
- D2MX only provides access to the ASX. You can trade shares, warrants and ETOs on the ASX via your D2MX online trading account.
One-off trading if you want liquidity immediately
- If you want to sell shares urgently but don’t want to open a trading account, D2MX customers can access a one-off trading service through its sister company, Trader Dealer.
- Trader Dealer also offers margin lending services to customers. This allows you to use leverage to increase your potential investment returns, and there are no extra fees on transactions made through a margin lending account.
D2MX offers the following services:
There is a choice of two trading platforms when you sign up for a D2MX account: htmlIRESS and d2mxIRESS.
What support and information is available with D2MX?
For general enquiries and trading advice, D2MX offers phone and email support. Direct phone access is also available to the company’s trading desk.
However, most of the information and customer support for online traders is offered by D2MX’s sister company, Trader Dealer. Trader Dealer offers the two trading platforms that are available to D2MX customers and it offers a handy online help centre with a glossary, FAQs and interactive trading and investing webinars. Telephone customer support is also available.
What are the fees associated when using D2MX?
Brokerage fees charged by D2MX vary depending on the size of the trade and whether you qualify for a discounted rate. The standard brokerage fees per trade confirmation for trading ASX shares and warrants are outlined below, with Reward Online Rates shown in brackets:
- Trades of $0 - $5,000: $19.50 (Reward Online Rate: $14.50)
- Trades of $5,001 - $25,000: $24.50 (Reward Online Rate: $19.50)
- Trades of $25,001 - $250,000: $24.50 plus 0.10% of trade value above $25,000 (Reward Online Rate: $19.50 plus 0.09% of trade value above $25,000)
- Trades greater than $250,000: $29.50 plus 0.05% of trade value above $25,000 (Reward Online Rate: $24.50 plus 0.04% of trade value above $25,000)
In order to receive the D2MX Reward Online Rate, you will need to be a current subscriber to the trading platform with live data provided by Bourse Data, or an ongoing client of Sequoia Superannuation.
You will also need to consider the ongoing fees that apply to D2MX accounts. If you choose the htmlIRESS platform, there are no ongoing fees to pay. However, the following fees apply if you select the d2mxIRESS platform:
- Software + delayed ASX data: $66/month
- Software + live ASX data: $66 (software) + $0.0253 / minute data (maximum $41.25 per month)
What are the points in favour of and against using D2MX for my next trade?
Points in favour
- Competitive brokerage rates. D2MX offers competitive brokerage fees, especially if you qualify for the Reward Online Rate, and brokerage fees are charged per confirmation rather than per trade.
- Online or phone trading, whichever is convenient. You can choose between two trading platforms to suit your investment needs.
- Expert advice and assistance. D2MX has a team of qualified advisers to offer the general advice you need to start trading on the Australian share market.
- No access to international shares. You cannot place any trades on international share markets with D2MX.
What you need to know about the application process for D2MX
If you’d like more information on the services offered by D2MX, click ‘find out more’ on this page to be securely taken to the D2MX website. You can then sign up for a free trial of the d2mxIRESS online trading software or sign up for an account. You will need to:
- Provide your name, address and contact details
- Provide proof of ID
- Specify the type of account you would like to sign up for
- Sign and return the forms to Trader Dealer
Once your application has been approved you can then download the relevant software or login to the htmlIRESS trading platform.