Life insurance for children
Providing protection for your children with life insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Most people, when asked about what the most important thing in their lives is, will answer without any hesitation that their family holds the top spot in their hearts. In the heart of this, the well-being and future of the children is top priority.
Life insurance - an important discussion
Contrary to the morbid pictures critics of children’s life insurance paint, life insurance is not just about death and sickness. It is also about the future and preparing for it. It is about getting ready for unexpected expenses brought about by major changes in your life.
A convenient feature life insurance (that you take out for yourself) is the option to add children to the policy. This ensures every family member is protected should something unfortunate happen.
Is children’s life insurance essential for your family?
It's understandable if discussing life insurance for your children leaves a bad taste to your mouth. However, there are a few reasons why it is never a bad idea to purchase life insurance for your children.
- Children cover can be added on to your cover. Most brands will include or give you the option of adding children to your policy.
- Reduces financial burdens incurred by sickness or accidents. It might be a depressing thought, but being sick and getting involved in an accident is a probability in life. It could happen to anyone and no one is exempt, not even your children. This could mean extra medical care and purchasing medical equipment needed for rehabilitation - a financial burden can be relieved if your child is properly covered.
- Replaces lost income. When your child’s sickness becomes longer than you expected and your presence is called for, there is also the possibility that you or your spouse will take a leave of absence from work for an indefinite period of time if both of you are working. No work, as everybody is aware of, generally means no income. Having children’s life insurance cover the added medical expenses will ease you of your fears how to sustain your daily expenses.
- Takes care of the final expenses. Death is scary but is also a reality of life. The death of your child can cause you great emotional and financial stress. It might be difficult to deal with the loss emotionally, but there is something you can do about it financially. Dealing with half of the problem is a big help – a priceless one that you cannot ignore.
- With the rising costs on every commodity, funeral expenses are also always on the rise - If you are not prepared for it, you might find yourself being in debt by just burying your child.
- Can be used as collateral when your child takes out a mortgage. Some life insurance policies can be used as collateral when you want to secure a loan. This can be helpful to your children in the future when they are applying for a loan.
Who offers life insurance options for children?
|Brand||What's the benefit called?||Child cover amount*||Entry age for children|
|AMP||Children's Trauma Option||Between $10,000 and $200,000(Up to 5 children)||3-16 (Expires at age 21)|
|AIA||Family Protection||$200,000.||2-15 (Expires before the age of 21)|
|Clearview||Child Cover||$10,000$200,000||2-18 (Expires at age 21)|
|Macquarie||Child Trauma Insurance||$10,000-$250,000||2 – 14 (Expires at age 21)|
|MLC||Child Critical Illness insurance||$10,000-$200,000||3-18 (Expires at age 21)|
|Real||Children's Insurance Option||$20,000-$50,000||2-17|
|Zurich||Insured Child Option||$10,000-$500,000||2-17|
|Virgin Money||Kids Injury Cover||$1,000-$50,000||Not stated but expires at age 18|
*Conditions apply. Check the policy disclosure statement before purchasing cover.
How to purchase life insurance for your children
Children’s life insurance is basically to cover your child for sickness and accidents. Most insurance providers offer child insurance as an additional feature when you get your own life insurance.
Getting life insurance for your kids is easier because most insurance providers do not require medical or blood tests. Moreover, children’s life insurance is much cheaper than adult insurance because of the fact that kids have longer life expectancy. Children eligible for this type of insurance are between the ages of 2 and 17 and a citizen of Australia.
So how long does the policy last?
Children’s life insurance benefits automatically expire when your child turns 21. However, an option to convert this into an adult life insurance policy is given by most insurance providers when your child reaches a certain age which is usually at 18 years old.
Children’s life insurance is never a liability even if your reason for getting it brings gloomy images to mind. However, there is no such thing as gloomy when you think of the future in all its reality. Furthermore, there is no such thing as delay when it comes to your children and their future.
Compare Life insurance quotes from these direct brands
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Peugeot 508 GT review
It has dashing good looks and stands out from the crowd, but is the Peugeot 508 GT worth your money?
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Best toys for 1-year-olds in Australia
These are the 7 best toys you can buy for 1-year-olds in Australia.
Best moisturiser for dry skin in Australia
From the best overall face moisturiser for dry skin to the best body moisturiser, hand moisturiser and tinted moisturiser for dry skin, these are the best 7 moisturisers for dry skin you can buy in Australia right now.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
Ask an Expert