We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Issues can come up in any industry or job, and that includes security. To protect your business and set expectations, it's important to have a security services agreement that's agreed to by your clients and those carrying out the job. Here is what exactly a security services agreement is, what it should include and where you can find templates to help you create one.
What is a security services agreement?
A security services agreement is a document drafted between you as a security contractor and a client. This agreement helps to bind both parties in a set of terms and conditions. The goal of this agreement is to help build up trust, confidence and expectations between the two parties as well as protect your business should any issues arise.
Download this security services agreement template at Lawpath
When should I use a security services agreement?
If you're in the business of providing security to clients, including security guards, then you should consider having a security services agreement. The document ensures the legal right to receive payment and is helpful when establishing the exact details of an agreement. It also helps to protect confidential information and intellectual property.
What does a security services agreement include?
The way agreements for security services are drafted can differ, depending on the parties involved. Generally, all documents will feature the same conditions.
Here are some of the basic elements every security services agreement should include:
- Names of the business and client
- Obligations the two parties
- Fees and payment
- What happens in the case of loss or damage of property
- Limits on liability
- Clauses around confidentiality
- Details around the quality of staff, including a background check
- Prevention of staff 'poaching' by the client
- Suspension conditions
- Termination conditions
Security services agreement vs employment contract
A security services agreement is a written agreement between a security contractor and a client. An employment contract is used when you're hiring staff and want to outline the job and establish expectations of the person being hired.
How effective is a security services agreement?
In the security industry, these agreements are effective in a few different ways. For example, it sets out exactly what a client can expect when engaging your business for security services including the skills of those being hired.
In such a high-risk industry, it's important that the appropriate arrangements have been made. For example, health and safety rules, the right training and the correct protection.
In this line of work, both parties will want to avoid liability. This is why an effective security services agreement could help prevent lawsuits, especially if the company has adequate insurance to cover the risk.
Do I need a lawyer to send this document?
A security services agreement is a legally binding contract. While it is not necessary for a lawyer to write the agreement, it may help to have a legal professional look over a draft copy of it. If you are concerned about writing a security services agreement, there are a few websites which offer examples and templates to help ease the process.
Get access to customisable security services agreement templates online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I write a security services agreement?
Here are some tips on how to write an effective security guard services agreement:
- Identify the service provider and customer
- Describe the security service
- Outline payment terms
- Establish terms about confidentiality, non-solicitation, and non-competition
- Add applicable clauses about indemnity, return of property, liability and legal expenses
- Always use clear language that can not be miscommunicated
- Ensure both parties have signed the document.
Where to get free legal documents and templates such as a security services agreement
Agreements for security services can be tricky documents. If you haven't had experience writing legal documents like security services agreements, there are many online websites where you can find examples, samples and templates. Here's where to find some online:
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource that offers service agreement templates. You can browse through free samples, but you need to sign up for a plan to fully customise the document.
- LawDepot. LawDepot offers a wide range of free online documents to download and customise, including service agreements.
- LegalVision. LegalVision offers users unlimited use of free legal document templates, including a security services agreement.
- Wonder.Legal. You can browse a huge array of legal document templates on Wonder.Legal's website. All these samples and templates can be customised and downloaded for a one-time fee.
Frequently asked questions
Why can't I rely on an oral service agreement?
Oral agreements would work in an ideal world. The biggest problem is that they are hard to prove and may not hold up in court. If there is a written service agreement, courts must uphold its terms even if they don't agree with them.
What does a "security service" include?
The term security service covers lots of different industries. Some of the industries this umbrella term covers include:
- Event management security services. This includes front door security on private events and for business and crowd management.
- Fire watch. Security services involved in cordoning off a building to allow the fire department to effectively contain the fire.
- Personal protection. A trained professional to accompany you at public events.
- Mobile patrol. Security guards who patrol locations on foot or via vehicle.
More guides on Finder
How to stake Chainlink (LINK)
Learn how to stake Chainlink (LINK) tokens and earn rewards through exchanges, lending services and node operation on the Chainlink network.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
How to buy Robinhood (HOOD) shares from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
Share sale agreement templates
Learn about the key points of share sale agreements and find templates you can download and customise to your needs.
Unincorporated joint venture agreement templates
Create a watertight joint venture agreement with the help of a legal template.
Incorporated joint venture agreement templates
Use a customisable template to help ensure your incorporated joint venture agreement is legally sound.
Service delivery agreement templates
How to download and customise a service delivery agreement to quickly protect your business.
Unsecured loan agreement templates
How to craft a legally binding contract with the help of a template.
How to start a network engineering business
Here's how to use your IT skills to start your own network engineering business.
How to start a curtains and blinds business
Get all the important details on starting your own curtains and blinds business.
Ask an Expert